Fordmods Logo

AU 6 cyl engine conversion into an XC 

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: AU 6 cyl engine conversion into an XC
Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:00 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

Hi guys – pointed this way from the 6 cylinder workshop. I have tidy XC and access to a very good condition (>5000km) AU 6 cylinder from a reputable wrecker. *EDIT - BA 6 cylinder from a reputable wrecker... This obviously changes everything!*

The plan is remove the 4.1 crossflow and Trans, replace the engine mounts (any suggestions which ones?) and reinstall the new engine mated to the old transmission.

Wiring is not really a concern as I have a reliable friend who is very good in this area including overcoming SmartLock – but am I being naïve in what issues I may face?
Which mounts work/fit? Will the old Trans bolt up to the newer engine? Since engine and trans looms are combined in the AU - will the engine go into limp mode if there is no Trans? What pressure fuel pump will I need ? Will the advice from this post (http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopi ... conversion) to use the stock EA_B_D radiator with XF drivers side mounts also work on an XC?

I have looked and can’t find too much on AU to XC conversions, mainly XE- XG though my understanding is they are very similar chassis but the Trans will be different from XF on. I have access to the existing AU Trans if I want it, but it seems to raise questions about tunnel size and drive shafts etc.

Just looking at a cheap – easy (as it can be anyway) upgrade. Feel free to set me straight about any misconceptions I may have, which may be everything. I drive like a nana so not going to upgrade the diff etc.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments:
PICT0015.JPG
PICT0015.JPG [ 164.72 KiB | Viewed 4495 times ]

Last edited by Brooke on Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:28 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 4 images

VIC, Australia

you may have problems with teh K frame i am unsure on the XC, but on the XF -EL you have to modify the K frame to make it fit, or modify the sump as it hits, you can grind off the front fins on the front of the sump to get teh cleaerance, some agree with this some dont

the gearbox for simplicity i would use a T5 if you can get your hands on one, alot less buggering around with wiring.

Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:31 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XC UTE

NSW, Australia

I have done a couple of 4.0l's with no real dramas. You will have no dramas with tunnel size. The EF engine used the XC mounts and both the auto and manual fitted inside the tunnel easily. I drilled a single hole through the crossmember for the mount.

For the fuel pump, I fitted a VR commodore pump/pickup next to the original XC pickup. commodore pickups are longer than E-series.

It is a big job to get them right, Just keep at it. It is worth it in the long run.

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:53 am 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

Thanks guys - as fate would have it the trans packed it in over the weekend, its stuck in Drive and no reverse, so all options are open now.

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Triton ute BA Futura

VIC, Australia

351 cleveland it

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:33 am 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

So it can be heavier and go slower? good for burnouts, but bugger all else.

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

The XC should go pretty hard with the AU engine, the XC only weighs 1475kg

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:44 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

Showing my lack of knowledge here - but whats the dry weight of an AU?

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, BA XR6T, ED Ghia 5.0

WA, Australia

About 1600kg or thereabouts I think.

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:54 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA XR6,ED Wagon,EA Sedans,XF Ghi

QLD, Australia

xf_man wrote:
351 cleveland it

:D I agree & you also get a sweet note!

"When Cars Were Steel"
"Cars Were Real"

Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:11 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

i used to have an XB van with an alloyhead crossflow in it. it went pretty good. then i decided to do the clevo " upgrade " the car actually groaned when i lowered the engine in. it became a pos to drive.

i'd just drop it in the 'bay and see how it all fits. only sure way to know. this sounds like a good conversion to me.

vote for pedro ? f**k pedro, f**k him up his stupid a***hole.

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:51 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Cortina TE

WA, Australia

i got a 351 Clevo with the Heave-Ho. but it definatly is a heavy donk.

for a car that tips the scales at 1188kilo with the Six.. weighed in at 1500kilo exact with me in it @ the weighbridge the other day when i went to the scrap metal yard.

turning corners at fast speeds is definatly not recomended.. so i might be pulling the 351 out.. dunno yet.

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:48 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

From what I can gather - I will be going from 96KW (on a good day) from the 250 X-flow to 182 KW (all day) from the barra and shaving 40 kg's from the front going to the all alloy engine. That gives me 7.91 KG per 1KW. If I whack in a 351 @ 356 kg dry weight, I am guessing I could be adding anywhere from 110 kgs over the Barra conversion and have a power to weight of 7.04 Kg pr 1KW... but using twice the gas. Feel free to rip these numbers apart - I cannot find anywhere the dry weight of a Barra 182.

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Peacock EB Falcon

QLD, Australia

Barra's still have a cast iron block, however you'll still save plenty of weight over the clevo. And I recommend reading fordman351's thread if you decide to go Barra, he recently went through the ordeal of putting one into his EL.

However it should be easier for you as you'll have more of a blank canvas to work with.

Wanted, CFI manifold

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:55 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Power: 120 rwkw

New Zealand

it might not be what your after but it's possible to run the AU motor with a carbie set up check out the ford 6 manifold section on www.Aussiespeed.com

That way you could get around a lot of the electrical issues.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next