Fordmods Logo

Buying an XF. Advice please. 

Page 2 of 4 [ 58 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: Buying an XF. Advice please.
Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Subaru Liberty RX Wagon MY03

NSW, Australia

uniacidz wrote:
2011 Corolla (i think the one i drove for a few weeks couldnt wait to see the back of me, i gave it more rattles hehe) and drive like a d**k, doesnt mean that its a dangerous car.

Have fun no matter what ya get or dont get.

Lol!

I had one of those for the the hire car from the insurance company. Worst car I've ever driven. Has Cab-over van driving position and I swear it felt so much bigger than my falcon. Bad ride too.

Back to the topic:

My mate has an XF. It's starting to rust at the bottom of the front guards and the bottom of the C-pillars, so I'd be having a good look there.

If you really really want, one get one. As long as you don't drive like an idiot and be careful, you should be alright.

Current ride: MY03 Liberty RX Wagon
EBII S-XR6, Now 5 speed. Moved on to greener pastures...

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:37 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 1991 eb1 fairmont

QLD, Australia

if you really want an xd-xf be sure to put a hose down the vent panel as they are renowned for rust around the vent intakes which means major surgery the efi versions are hard to get flow meters for
but the late xf's came out with carburettor and t5 if tuned properly with 3.23:1 ratio diff you can get 450 kilometers from 30 litres of fuel

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: 1990 XF Ute

VIC, Australia

XF is a good car if u hunt around and find a good one i like the xf ghia or the xf ute

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Hey mate if you do decide to get a box falcon ie XD-XF go for a high series such as XF Fairmont Ghia Or ZL fairlane or FE LTD as all these come with goodies ie cruise,electric widnows trip computer digital dash comfy seats etc etc

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:36 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

fordnut1988 wrote:
Hey mate if you do decide to get a box falcon ie XD-XF go for a high series such as XF Fairmont Ghia Or ZL fairlane or FE LTD as all these come with goodies ie cruise,electric widnows trip computer digital dash comfy seats etc etc

but with those high series flow meters and other efi components are hard to get but can be changed to carby with a front harness swap

i know because i had the complete zl fairlaine interior in my xd and also owned an efi xf s-pack wagon with t5 only got rid of it because of trouble with flow meter and couldn't source a good replacement
flow meters are different between xe/zk and xf/zl

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

rustyeb1991 wrote:
fordnut1988 wrote:

but with those high series flow meters and other efi components are hard to get but can be changed to carby with a front harness swap

i know because i had the complete zl fairlaine interior in my xd and also owned an efi xf s-pack wagon with t5 only got rid of it because of trouble with flow meter and couldn't source a good replacement
flow meters are different between xe/zk and xf/zl

i assume you mean when you have to replace them when they brake down?

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

fordnut1988 wrote:

All those goodies break down. I had an XF fairmont Ghia, it was the worst car I have ever owned. It very soon adopted the nickname "the money pit" The XD and the XE I had previously were great cars at the time

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

madmax wrote:
fordnut1988 wrote:

All those goodies break down. I had an XF fairmont Ghia, it was the worst car I have ever owned. It very soon adopted the nickname "the money pit" The XD and the XE I had previously were great cars at the time

not all xf ghias will be lemons and the technology at the time was new so it will have bugs but you can still buy a good one

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:29 am 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

madmax wrote:
fordnut1988 wrote:

the instrument cluster and the trip computer do play up but easily fixed by resoldering all solder joints inside both units as for the power windows a quick visit to the tackle shop can fix those when the 3 dampers inside disintegrate simply replace with round sinkers of correct size

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

rustyeb1991 wrote:
madmax wrote:
fordnut1988 wrote:

the instrument cluster and the trip computer do play up but easily fixed by resoldering all solder joints inside both units as for the power windows a quick visit to the tackle shop can fix those when the 3 dampers inside disintegrate simply replace with round sinkers of correct size

Yep, the instrument cluster, the trip computer, the MAF and other engine electronics, Air conditioning, Electric window switches, power steering box, leaking back window, the list went on and on in the end i was glad to see the back of it.

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

fordnut1988 wrote:
madmax wrote:
fordnut1988 wrote:

not all xf ghias will be lemons and the technology at the time was new so it will have bugs but you can still buy a good one

lol!!! i don't think you can classify any XF a good one!
you can afford a better card living on the dole!!

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Mitch_ wrote:
fordnut1988 wrote:
madmax wrote:
fordnut1988 wrote:

lol!!! i don't think you can classify any XF a good one!
you can afford a better card living on the dole!!

thats a bit harsh i like my xf`s

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

just out of curiosity in the xfs in the gl and fairmont but not fairmont ghia they have four dials in the middle on the one that has a/c on it it has other controls what are they for

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

fordnut1988 wrote:
just out of curiosity in the xfs in the gl and fairmont but not fairmont ghia they have four dials in the middle on the one that has a/c on it it has other controls what are they for

Heater controls; fan speed, position, Temp and AC

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

madmax wrote:
fordnut1988 wrote:

Heater controls; fan speed, position, Temp and AC

yeah the ac one has other thingys on it was just curious as to what they do

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next