Fordmods Logo

Buying an XF. Advice please. 

 

Page 3 of 4 [ 58 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

 
 Post subject: Re: Buying an XF. Advice please.
Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 1322

Joined: 21st Dec 2004

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

XF's are a great car, I love em, and I've had about 5 of them, and still have an XF Wagon. They can actually go alright especially when they have a manual gearbox. Common rust areas include the bottoms of the front gaurds, the door sills, the rear doglegs just under the "C" pillar, and the area underneath the wiper plenum. Make sure you check all these areas throughly, and especially the doglegs and the wiper plenum area, as these can be expensive to fix. Other common problems are the digital dashes like to play up (An EB XR6/S Pack dash cluster can be fitted without too much hastle, and they look excellent) they have a tendancy to shag out idler arms pretty quick (I suggest using a GENUINE one or a PEDDERS one, at least they arent too dear and easy to change) If it's EFI, the AFM likes to play up alot, and I had trouble with the ISC getting clogged as well. If you arent prepared for these problems, I'd suggest getting a carby model.

Other than that, they are a very reliable, good car. They have fantastic headlights (better than any other Falcon I've ever had) They tow well, and a manual conversion with a 2.5" exhaust and a set of extractors will make them get up and go. One of the best things you can do to an XF is fit good tyres, they love LPG, and an XG Falcon ute Grille looks the goods.

Dont let the mob discourage you from an XF, I reckon they are a good car and will give you many years of reliable service.

Gab
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Buying an XF. Advice please.
Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:43 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 48

Posts: 205

Joined: 8th Dec 2009

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EB XR8, Now Blown 1977 Mini S

Location: Toowoomba
QLD, Australia

Mother has a 1985 S-Pack(Kermit green)which has been in two serious accidents(both not her fault)and is still going after repairs.

First accident was a 4WD hitting the RHF guard as it ran a red light - should have been a write-off; however, Mum went to town on the driver through court and extracted more than enough (out of court - 4WD driver was a hoity toity lawyer) to cover the repairs and get it back on the road.

Second was a roll over when Mum swerved to avoid a BCC truck near Ipswich(pulled out in front of her with 50metres notice and no indicator), crossed the grassed median strip and went airborne as she tried to correct the car. Car spun on its axis(like a bullet out of a barrel spin)and landed back on its wheels and hit the wire retainers on the side of the road. BCC denied fault; however, the unmarked police car behind Mum saw the whole thing. BCC paid to have car repaired no questions asked!! The damage was mainly cosmetic(whole car was painted from bare metal)and the suspension replaced(shocks/springs/all bushes/new rims and tyres...). Chassis was fine and went back on the road.

Again, wasn't worth getting done but sentimental to my crazy mother. Done 790,000km and 2 engines but still drives like a beauty and I just keep replacing the door handles when I go home for leave(Mum has a box of spares waiting for me!!)

Cant kill them but they are a bastard for rust...it will eat them inside out if you don't keep on top of it.

Damn it - I will inherit it and I think it is jinxed!! The colour is what I like about it and the 2-3 inch blocks on the pedals(manual) as Mum is 4'8" and cant reach the pedals... :lol:
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Buying an XF. Advice please.
Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 887

Joined: 13th Mar 2011

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: 1999 Ford AU1 Forte Wagon

Location: Morwell
VIC, Australia

CPOCSM wrote:
Mother has a 1985 S-Pack(Kermit green)which has been in two serious accidents(both not her fault)and is still going after repairs.

First accident was a 4WD hitting the RHF guard as it ran a red light - should have been a write-off; however, Mum went to town on the driver through court and extracted more than enough (out of court - 4WD driver was a hoity toity lawyer) to cover the repairs and get it back on the road.

Second was a roll over when Mum swerved to avoid a BCC truck near Ipswich(pulled out in front of her with 50metres notice and no indicator), crossed the grassed median strip and went airborne as she tried to correct the car. Car spun on its axis(like a bullet out of a barrel spin)and landed back on its wheels and hit the wire retainers on the side of the road. BCC denied fault; however, the unmarked police car behind Mum saw the whole thing. BCC paid to have car repaired no questions asked!! The damage was mainly cosmetic(whole car was painted from bare metal)and the suspension replaced(shocks/springs/all bushes/new rims and tyres...). Chassis was fine and went back on the road.

Again, wasn't worth getting done but sentimental to my crazy mother. Done 790,000km and 2 engines but still drives like a beauty and I just keep replacing the door handles when I go home for leave(Mum has a box of spares waiting for me!!)

Cant kill them but they are a bastard for rust...it will eat them inside out if you don't keep on top of it.

Damn it - I will inherit it and I think it is jinxed!! The colour is what I like about it and the 2-3 inch blocks on the pedals(manual) as Mum is 4'8" and cant reach the pedals... :lol:


790,000 kms???? fuk me thats a fair effort how many engines has it been threw lol

 

_________________

1999 AU Forte Wagon Fairly Stock

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Buying an XF. Advice please.
Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 27

Posts: 736

Joined: 13th Oct 2009

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EL XR6

Location: Parramatta
NSW, Australia

fordnut1988 wrote:
CPOCSM wrote:
Done 790,000km and 2 engines


790,000 kms???? fuk me thats a fair effort how many engines has it been threw lol

 

_________________

LOW, LOUD AND LUMPY

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Buying an XF. Advice please.
Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:27 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 48

Posts: 205

Joined: 8th Dec 2009

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EB XR8, Now Blown 1977 Mini S

Location: Toowoomba
QLD, Australia

fordnut1988 wrote:
CPOCSM wrote:
Mother has a 1985 S-Pack(Kermit green)which has been in two serious accidents(both not her fault)and is still going after repairs.

First accident was a 4WD hitting the RHF guard as it ran a red light - should have been a write-off; however, Mum went to town on the driver through court and extracted more than enough (out of court - 4WD driver was a hoity toity lawyer) to cover the repairs and get it back on the road.

Second was a roll over when Mum swerved to avoid a BCC truck near Ipswich(pulled out in front of her with 50metres notice and no indicator), crossed the grassed median strip and went airborne as she tried to correct the car. Car spun on its axis(like a bullet out of a barrel spin)and landed back on its wheels and hit the wire retainers on the side of the road. BCC denied fault; however, the unmarked police car behind Mum saw the whole thing. BCC paid to have car repaired no questions asked!! The damage was mainly cosmetic(whole car was painted from bare metal)and the suspension replaced(shocks/springs/all bushes/new rims and tyres...). Chassis was fine and went back on the road.

Again, wasn't worth getting done but sentimental to my crazy mother. Done 790,000km and 2 engines but still drives like a beauty and I just keep replacing the door handles when I go home for leave(Mum has a box of spares waiting for me!!)

Cant kill them but they are a bastard for rust...it will eat them inside out if you don't keep on top of it.

Damn it - I will inherit it and I think it is jinxed!! The colour is what I like about it and the 2-3 inch blocks on the pedals(manual) as Mum is 4'8" and cant reach the pedals... :lol:


790,000 kms???? fuk me thats a fair effort how many engines has it been threw lol


Two engines(4.1 litre lump - carb as well) and Mum has had it since new. It is pampered and well serviced. Has Perry extractors on it, 2.5 inch exhaust with a hot dog(thanks to my late fathers liking for the horrible "blaaattt" they cause when you flatten the foot)and spotties - about all that it has had done(apart from 12 slotters).

Hooroo
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Buying an XF. Advice please.
Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:32 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 25

Joined: 19th Jan 2006

Location: Cairns
QLD, Australia

Yep - XF is an excellent car - the last ones before the electronics get out of hand.

Keeping the rust out is the most important thing - all the rest is just routine maintenance.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Buying an XF. Advice please.
Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 887

Joined: 13th Mar 2011

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: 1999 Ford AU1 Forte Wagon

Location: Morwell
VIC, Australia

does anyone know where i can buy a cheap XF all the good ones on carsales are usually over priced

 

_________________

1999 AU Forte Wagon Fairly Stock

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Buying an XF. Advice please.
Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:27 am 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 48

Posts: 205

Joined: 8th Dec 2009

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EB XR8, Now Blown 1977 Mini S

Location: Toowoomba
QLD, Australia

Go to Toowoomba - they are everywhere!!

Don't buy one from a coastal area as the rust will have really taken hold. Maybe also look at the XD/E as well. Mum also has a XD ute with an agricultural kit in it(apparently a factory option)with another 30mm of clearance and 1500kg load rating in the tray. Dad picked it up from a deceased estate(friend of the fam and a fellow truck driver)and has the 302W with the 347 stroker kit through it(original engine was a 302C and was a slug trying to haul the car around...) and a twin hotdogged 3 inch exhaust(again that horrible blaaaaatttt the eights had back in the Toowoomba hoon heyday). Has a three speed auto, a real clunker and handles like a truck with a pitiful turning circle; however, has immaculate paint and body with nil rust.

When you go an look for your car, take the magnet wrapped in a cloth to look for the bog and rust as most of the XF's I have seen about here in Canberra are only held together with a wing and a prayer.

Again - so glad I inherit both vehicles and inherit the rust issues with Mums XF(the rear window surround always has a bubble or two around it - no matter how many times you repair it!!). Big plans for the ute though and I am sure a better box and maybe a 5.4l boss will make a big difference...gotta have pipedreams!!
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Buying an XF. Advice please.
Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:29 am 
Oompa Loompa
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 25

Joined: 19th Jan 2006

Location: Cairns
QLD, Australia

CPOCSM wrote:
Go to Toowoomba - they are everywhere!!

Good advice - that's where I got mine - Dusty, Not Rusty...

Get Lanotec Heavy Duty Liquid Lanolin and spray it in every panel, nook and cranny till it's dripping out everywhere.

I use it around the back windows of the wagon - peel the window seal open a bit and squirt the Lanotec in all the way round - this stuff stops rust in it's tracks...
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Buying an XF. Advice please.
Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:01 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 48

Posts: 205

Joined: 8th Dec 2009

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EB XR8, Now Blown 1977 Mini S

Location: Toowoomba
QLD, Australia

Here is a pic of the XF - love that green!!

Image

Please excuse the other two ring ins...alas I don't own either of them anymore(the XK had 11,000 miles on it when I sold it - never around the clock!!)
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Buying an XF. Advice please.
Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 887

Joined: 13th Mar 2011

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: 1999 Ford AU1 Forte Wagon

Location: Morwell
VIC, Australia

Jakel123 wrote:
hey modders, im looking at making the change to an XF or if i cant find one an XE or XD. i will be getting the 6 cyl as i am still on my p's and NSW dont let p platers drive 8's. also i am planning on getting the sedan.

Now to avoid getting shafted i was hoping you guys could offer me advice on what to look for what to avoid. also i am planning on getting the sedan.

Also i have heard that the LPG on XF's is not worth it as you use twice as much and get less power than petrol, can anyone confirm this for me?

thanks guys,
Jake


hey mate did you decide what you want to get?

 

_________________

1999 AU Forte Wagon Fairly Stock

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Buying an XF. Advice please.
Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 887

Joined: 13th Mar 2011

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: 1999 Ford AU1 Forte Wagon

Location: Morwell
VIC, Australia

CPOCSM wrote:
Here is a pic of the XF - love that green!!

Image

Please excuse the other two ring ins...alas I don't own either of them anymore(the XK had 11,000 miles on it when I sold it - never around the clock!!)


that XK would have sold for a bit wouldnt it?

 

_________________

1999 AU Forte Wagon Fairly Stock

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Buying an XF. Advice please.
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:11 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 48

Posts: 205

Joined: 8th Dec 2009

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EB XR8, Now Blown 1977 Mini S

Location: Toowoomba
QLD, Australia

fordnut1988 wrote:
CPOCSM wrote:
Here is a pic of the XF - love that green!!

Image

Please excuse the other two ring ins...alas I don't own either of them anymore(the XK had 11,000 miles on it when I sold it - never around the clock!!)


that XK would have sold for a bit wouldnt it?


$7500 I sold it for - and it was sold to a family member who will not get rid of it. Been in the family since new(still has the original QLD number plates from new!!). 2 speed box drove me mad though!!
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Buying an XF. Advice please.
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 887

Joined: 13th Mar 2011

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: 1999 Ford AU1 Forte Wagon

Location: Morwell
VIC, Australia

CPOCSM wrote:
fordnut1988 wrote:
CPOCSM wrote:
Here is a pic of the XF - love that green!!

Image

Please excuse the other two ring ins...alas I don't own either of them anymore(the XK had 11,000 miles on it when I sold it - never around the clock!!)


that XK would have sold for a bit wouldnt it?


$7500 I sold it for - and it was sold to a family member who will not get rid of it. Been in the family since new(still has the original QLD number plates from new!!). 2 speed box drove me mad though!!


lol the old 2 speed autos and $7500? its worth way more then that

 

_________________

1999 AU Forte Wagon Fairly Stock

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Buying an XF. Advice please.
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:05 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 48

Posts: 205

Joined: 8th Dec 2009

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EB XR8, Now Blown 1977 Mini S

Location: Toowoomba
QLD, Australia

fordnut1988 wrote:
CPOCSM wrote:
fordnut1988 wrote:
CPOCSM wrote:
Here is a pic of the XF - love that green!!

Image

Please excuse the other two ring ins...alas I don't own either of them anymore(the XK had 11,000 miles on it when I sold it - never around the clock!!)


that XK would have sold for a bit wouldnt it?


$7500 I sold it for - and it was sold to a family member who will not get rid of it. Been in the family since new(still has the original QLD number plates from new!!). 2 speed box drove me mad though!!


lol the old 2 speed autos and $7500? its worth way more then that

Indeed! However glad I gave it to the family member and was a while back(1998)so was worth it back then. The other issue with the XK was the wipers were operated via vacuum off the fuel pump. More often than not the hose used to come off via vibrationand usually only noticed when you needed them so a pull-over was required to re-attach the hose to get the wipers going again. Simple stuff when you think about it...
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:58 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names