Fordmods Logo

Buying an XF. Advice please. 

Page 4 of 4 [ 58 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post subject: Re: Buying an XF. Advice please.
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: 1990 XF Ute

VIC, Australia

CPOCSM wrote:
fordnut1988 wrote:
CPOCSM wrote:
fordnut1988 wrote:
CPOCSM wrote:
Here is a pic of the XF - love that green!!

Please excuse the other two ring ins...alas I don't own either of them anymore(the XK had 11,000 miles on it when I sold it - never around the clock!!)

that XK would have sold for a bit wouldnt it?

$7500 I sold it for - and it was sold to a family member who will not get rid of it. Been in the family since new(still has the original QLD number plates from new!!). 2 speed box drove me mad though!!

lol the old 2 speed autos and $7500? its worth way more then that

Indeed! However glad I gave it to the family member and was a while back(1998)so was worth it back then. The other issue with the XK was the wipers were operated via vacuum off the fuel pump. More often than not the hose used to come off via vibrationand usually only noticed when you needed them so a pull-over was required to re-attach the hose to get the wipers going again. Simple stuff when you think about it...

got a picture of your current ride?

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:03 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: XF Fairmont Ghia Wagon

VIC, Australia

I have an XF as my daily, which is also my first car. its been a great car. yes its had mechanical issues, but only 2 has it ever let me down on the side of the road, once for the clutch cable snapping, and only recently it wouldn't start due to dodgy old earth leads. took about an hour to fix.

no it doesn't have ABS, no it doesn't have airbags, but IMO, if ur relying on them to keep you safe on the road, should u have a licence? I've been in some sticky situations in my XF like having to pull up in a hurry in the wet and dry, u learn to control it if and when it goes into a skid trying to brake hard. only ever had one accident in it, which wasn't my fault, and barely did any damage, just a mirror torn off and dinted the passenger door, thanks to a flat bed truck.

if your willing to drive something a bit older, then they are a great car, as are the XE and XDs, just expect to have to do a bit of rust cutting to get it past roady, as they are bad for it. i know cos I'm about to get some taken out of mine.

1987 XF Fairmont Ghia wagon, 4.1 EFi xflow 6, T5 5 speed manual, 2.77LSD Auto diff

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:54 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1995 EF Falcon

SA, Australia

Haha, yeah the door handles.. thing is though theres nothing wrong with the door handles its the pins in the door hinges that cause the problem, theyre big heavy doors and when you lift the handle and open the door the door drops down and loads the handle cause you're still pulling up on it.
If you dont want to go through handles all the time press your hip firmly against the door then open it .

South Australia.. Heaps good.

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Panko wrote:
I have an XF as my daily, which is also my first car. its been a great car. yes its had mechanical issues, but only 2 has it ever let me down on the side of the road, once for the clutch cable snapping, and only recently it wouldn't start due to dodgy old earth leads. took about an hour to fix.

no it doesn't have ABS, no it doesn't have airbags, but IMO, if ur relying on them to keep you safe on the road, should u have a licence? I've been in some sticky situations in my XF like having to pull up in a hurry in the wet and dry, u learn to control it if and when it goes into a skid trying to brake hard. only ever had one accident in it, which wasn't my fault, and barely did any damage, just a mirror torn off and dinted the passenger door, thanks to a flat bed truck.

if your willing to drive something a bit older, then they are a great car, as are the XE and XDs, just expect to have to do a bit of rust cutting to get it past roady, as they are bad for it. i know cos I'm about to get some taken out of mine.

got any pics of your ride?

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:02 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

thats my beast. '87 xf ghia wagon.

1987 XF Fairmont Ghia wagon, 4.1 EFi xflow 6, T5 5 speed manual, 2.77LSD Auto diff

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Panko wrote:

i meant do you have any pics of your car lol

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:05 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

fordnut1988 wrote:
Panko wrote:

unless I'm reading this wrong or i don't understand english, I'm not sure how this isn't what u asked for. this is my car. :?

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:46 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford BA FUTURA 2002Ded Gas Wagon

VIC, Australia

Hey love the sun visor, and the polished snow flakes 8-) Both my brothers had XF wagons, it didnt end well for either of them. First my younger brother had an "S Pack" wagon, went pretty good and was a country car will NO RUST i could find :shock: , but one day he decided to do a "U turn" without indicating from the gutter. :roll: Got "T boned and bent like a Banana. Got a Fairmont Wagon next with the EFI 6 from a Fairlane fitted to it with a 5 speed behind it. Went like a rocket, had Genuine bathurst globes on it, 4 wheel disks and purple do it yourself window tint, (Bubled up like a b**ch :lol: ). He got p****d one night and left out on the nature strip with the keys in the ignition, (Not that you needed them, you could start it with the dip stick :roll: ) and in the morning the car was gone. Few hours later was found in a ditch on its roof after hitting a round about at speed. My other brother had a Brown fairmont Wagon on Dual fuel, Again rusty as hell. Had it parked on a hill and the diafram in the fuel pump gave up and it empied the fuel tank into the sump. Drove off the next day on gas and the Motor seized and blew a rod out the side of the block. In any case the main problems with the X series was RUST, and Friggin Door handles, I could tell you how many ive replaced. Personally if you wanted a car you could still work on you could try an EA "S pack" I think if i remenber correctly they had the carby fed 3.9l and either the 5 speed manual or the trusty 3 speed auto.

I'm constantly surrounded by IDIOTS!!
Guns and Rockets mounted on cars? Vote NOW on Licence reforms.

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:53 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

yer i love the visor as well :) gives it character i think lol

the snowies are as they were when they were new. being the XF Ghia snowies they came like that. i plan on getting them semi chromed soon, like the centre caps.
being a ghia this has the efi and i fitted the t5 5 speed. awesome fuel economy, but can't say much for the engine at the moment. it has nearly no compression, and some days just doesn't have any power. also part of the list of things to do...new engine :D

shame about both ur brother's cars :(

um the EA S packs i think had the efi 3.9, but i maybe mistaken.

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Panko wrote:
fordnut1988 wrote:
Panko wrote:

unless I'm reading this wrong or i don't understand english, I'm not sure how this isn't what u asked for. this is my car. :?

sorry mate i thought you got this pic off google or something lol i take it its a professional photo of your car

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Jeremy BA wrote:
Hey love the sun visor, and the polished snow flakes 8-) Both my brothers had XF wagons, it didnt end well for either of them. First my younger brother had an "S Pack" wagon, went pretty good and was a country car will NO RUST i could find :shock: , but one day he decided to do a "U turn" without indicating from the gutter. :roll: Got "T boned and bent like a Banana. Got a Fairmont Wagon next with the EFI 6 from a Fairlane fitted to it with a 5 speed behind it. Went like a rocket, had Genuine bathurst globes on it, 4 wheel disks and purple do it yourself window tint, (Bubled up like a b**ch :lol: ). He got p****d one night and left out on the nature strip with the keys in the ignition, (Not that you needed them, you could start it with the dip stick :roll: ) and in the morning the car was gone. Few hours later was found in a ditch on its roof after hitting a round about at speed. My other brother had a Brown fairmont Wagon on Dual fuel, Again rusty as hell. Had it parked on a hill and the diafram in the fuel pump gave up and it empied the fuel tank into the sump. Drove off the next day on gas and the Motor seized and blew a rod out the side of the block. In any case the main problems with the X series was RUST, and Friggin Door handles, I could tell you how many ive replaced. Personally if you wanted a car you could still work on you could try an EA "S pack" I think if i remenber correctly they had the carby fed 3.9l and either the 5 speed manual or the trusty 3 speed auto.

i believe the EA series 2 was fuel injected

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:20 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

fordnut1988 wrote:
Panko wrote:
fordnut1988 wrote:
Panko wrote:

sorry mate i thought you got this pic off google or something lol i take it its a professional photo of your car

yer it is a pro photographer. the guy hosts a shoot every now and again at different locations around melbourne. when these ones were taken, i asked him to take all of the photos on the drivers side, because the passenger side was damaged after i got swiped from a truck :(

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

hey Jakel123 did you decide what you want mate?

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 4  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4