Fordmods Logo

C4/C10 3000rpm stall - Who has one? or where can i get one? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: C4/C10 3000rpm stall - Who has one? or where can i get one?
Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:39 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 410 Cube FE LTD

ACT, Australia

Ive been trying to locate a second hand stally around the 3000g mark. i have posted in the wanted parts but as this site is mainly newer models i feel here is more appropriate.
also does anyone know where abouts i could find one/ how much they go for in general?
cheers

Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:35 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: F350, EF2 Ghia, XC & Corty

Power: 218 rwkw

VIC, Australia

for a 6 or an 8?
I've got a 3500 stallie for a 6 I might be convinced into parting with...

13.28@103.73mph

Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:08 pm 
Smokin em up

ACT, Australia

yeah its for a V8 mate, whats the difference between the 6 and 8 converters? are the mounting holes different on the flex plate? also how much do you want for the converter mate as i keen.
cheers John.

Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:17 pm 
Smokin em up

ACT, Australia

hey mate, i have been notified that it will fit, however i just need to make sure that yours is a 26 spline converter. if so let me know what you want for it and we can go from there
cheers champ

Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Triton ute BA Futura

VIC, Australia

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:15 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

V8 and 6 have different sized ring gears. You could probably fit a smaller convertor on a large V8 ring gear but i DOUBT if you could go the other way (large convertor on a small 6 ring gear).

You also have to consider the bolt pattern difference (if there is any).
and the spline count of the input shaft (they vary between 24 and 26 in early to late c4 and c10 autos).

If you are indeed looking for a second hand convertor GET IT PROFESSIONALLY FLUSHED! There have been numerous cases of new or freshened autos being destroyed by old convertors. This may be due to the old fluid in it having some fine metallic particles that wreck your new trans.

Remember that second hand convertors are removed for a reason...usually when the owner is sick and tired of fixing something...eg a busted trans or a busted engine. I've seen snapped cranks sitting at angles...have a think about what may have happened inside a convertor with the crank at a different angle to the stator? Think about the reasons the convertor may have been removed from and importantly WHY.

IMHO you should have a long hard think about a stall speed that high. There are literally a hundred things to take into account when selecting a stall speed. Go to the professionals OR do alot of reading and ALL the calculations based on your realistic set up and common driving habits. If you have never driven with a high stall try to go for a drive in a car with a set up very similar to yours (if possible).

I would reccomend two places to build a custom hi-stall in the Melbourne area

DOMINATOR in Epping
HOLROYD ENGINEERING /HOLROYD CONVERTORS in Fairfield

Convertors are a relatively new thing to me, having always had a preference for a stick, but you can learn alot from people in the game if you listen to their mistakes.

*as a side note i have a 3500rpm stall in a C10 behind a 300hp clevo and honestly its too high for traffic.

EA SVO Fairmont Ghia - Recaros, Bilsteins, Sunroof, SVO rims and body kit, Genie headers, DBA rotors. T5 steeda triax short shifter. 3.27 lsd. (EL 4.0 ported/polished, rebuilt and balanced, Dev5 cam. J3 chipped EL ecu, AU injectors).

Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:52 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: F350, EF2 Ghia, XC & Corty

Power: 218 rwkw

VIC, Australia

My 3500 is a pain 2 drive... and its only a drag/burnout car. For street duties I wouldnt recommend anything larger than 2800.
Last time I checked, Sydney Speed supplies sold an exchange 2500rpm converter reasonably cheap.
I dont believe my 3500 6 cyl converter will suit you at all.
1 Designed for the torque of a 6cyl
2 May stall up to over 4500 behind a mild 351.

I'm currently not using my converter, cos the car blew a head gasket the last meeting I took it to. Took it in the burnouts anyway, over revved it to 6500 and now its got a knock in the bottom end..! :cry:

13.28@103.73mph

Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Triton ute BA Futura

VIC, Australia

I was told that your better to get one for the specs of your engine.

When i had my c10 kitted the auto guy got the specs of my engine before he went ahead and installed the stallie

Are you planning to tow with the car?

Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

I've had various stall rpms behind my engines 3500/4500/5200/5400rpm all in a street car. If you under stall a car it'll drive like crap. Stall it right and it'll drive nicely and well behaved.

I used to have a 351c/f246 cammed engine. A 4500rpm convertor and 4.11's was perfect.

Nothing wrong with s/hand convertors just make sure the fluid is clean (nice and red) in them. If it's not or smells burnt you'll need to get it flushed.

Once I've extractors some more power from mine I intend on driving the car a hell of a lot more than I did last year. It's sat in workshops getting custom work done. In actual fact thats where it is right now. Hopefully this w/e I get it back :)

XB Fairmont sedan 11.07@123.02mph

Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 35 images

Ride: xy fairmont

WA, Australia

hey there im in the middle of a build on a 409 clevo small block will have over 500 at the wheels and the combo that they recomended is only a 3500 stall this is a street and strip car and i wanted a 4000 stall and they recomended i go smaller coz breaks might not handel a 4000 stall and a number of other things that are way above my knowledge so i went with what the pros suggested and have gone for a 3500 its a C4 full manual extra clutches and reverse pattern shift with a pro ratchet shifter.

If you have it under control then you dont have enough power..
There is no replacement for Displacment..

Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:18 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Who did you speak with in regards to a convertor? 3500rpm sounds a tad low for something that will make 500rwhp. I'm not far off that figure myself (I'll hopefully be able to confirm that Fri or Sat). My 351 did 410rwhp. TCE recommended 5700rpm for my 351 and 5800rpm for my 393. A bigger cam in the 393.

If you race the car you'll know if the convertors too small. If it had good traction? It'll sit there @ max stall rpm for a couple of seconds. With a proper sized stall for an engine this doesn't happen. It just slingshots off the line.

To give you some idea. My 351 ran a 3300rpm convertor for a few mths. I did 1.9/2.0sec 60fts running 12.2's @ close to 116mph. Swapped out the convertor to close to what TCE recommended (5200rpm) and the car ran 11.85 @ close to 116mph. More stall probably would have seen it go faster.

My current stall is set at the same rpm my max torque is. That way it gets off the line quicky (wheelspinning 1.60 best 60ft so far).

Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:48 pm 
Smokin em up

ACT, Australia

Yeah the car is purely going to be for the odd weekend cruise and for burnouts, im not too fussy at all about matching the stall speed to the cam etc, basically i want it to be able "flair up" when you take off becuase it sounds aggressive, and i want to be able to nail it and the engine be well into its power stage.

so yeah! if anyone has one that they wanna let go, let me know!

Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:42 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

there is a 3000rpm stall to suit c4 on ebay at the moment.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]