Fordmods Logo

Carter Thermoquad on edelbrock manifold 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: Carter Thermoquad on edelbrock manifold
Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:57 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: XC 1/2 Fairmont Wagon

NSW, Australia

Hi, I was looking into getting a edelbrock performer or performer rpm manifold for my XC 302c. The edelbrock site says spreadbore carbs won't fit on the manifold because it's a holley pattern. Is it possible to get an adapter plate to fit the carb on? Or even make one? I was just wondering whether the barrels of the Carter would still line up properly with the plenum of the edelbrock manifold if an adapter plate were used, or if a carb with a holley pattern MUST be used. If so, I won't bother getting one at this stage. I don't want to buy a new carb.

Also, while we're on the same topic, does anyone have any experience with any of the edelbrock dual plane manifolds or other aftermarket manifolds on mild set ups? What sort of performance increases would be expected? If it's not all that much better compared to the standard 4 barrel manifold in a mild setup I won't bother until I open the engine up and do the cam, and clean the heads up and stroke it to 351.

Post subject: Re: Carter Thermoquad on edelbrock manifold
Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

kircher wrote:
Hi, I was looking into getting a edelbrock performer or performer rpm manifold for my XC 302c. The edelbrock site says spreadbore carbs won't fit on the manifold because it's a holley pattern. Is it possible to get an adapter plate to fit the carb on? Or even make one? I was just wondering whether the barrels of the Carter would still line up properly with the plenum of the edelbrock manifold if an adapter plate were used, or if a carb with a holley pattern MUST be used. If so, I won't bother getting one at this stage. I don't want to buy a new carb.

Also, while we're on the same topic, does anyone have any experience with any of the edelbrock dual plane manifolds or other aftermarket manifolds on mild set ups? What sort of performance increases would be expected? If it's not all that much better compared to the standard 4 barrel manifold in a mild setup I won't bother until I open the engine up and do the cam, and clean the heads up and stroke it to 351.

I have found the single plane manifolds better. Some brands are dual bolt pattern. The Redline Torker is dual bolt pattern, but the Weiand X-celerator is single bolt pattern ( Squarebore), but there is heaps of meat to drill & tap to suit spreadbore bolt pattern. I have done this before.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

turn a holley adaptor plate up side down is the easiest way

ef fairmont ghia 5.0L
classy cruiser

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:57 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Yeah, I am kind of cautious of single plane manifolds. I want to have torque in the low - mid rpm range, and for the time being I am not going to exceed 4500-5000 rpm until I replace the cam and valve springs. The car is street driven. I have heard that unless you're going to be doing over 6000rpm, stick with a dual plane. That information was not cleveland specific though. It's good to know that the manifolds can be adapted to spreadbore carbs though. Thank You

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

kircher wrote:
Yeah, I am kind of cautious of single plane manifolds. I want to have torque in the low - mid rpm range, and for the time being I am not going to exceed 4500-5000 rpm until I replace the cam and valve springs. The car is street driven. I have heard that unless you're going to be doing over 6000rpm, stick with a dual plane. That information was not cleveland specific though. It's good to know that the manifolds can be adapted to spreadbore carbs though. Thank You

Dude, I listened to people for too long about using dual plane manifolds. One day the oppertunity arose to use a single plane. Well, kick me in the a5re, it made a huge difference. Just by bolting it on, nothing else.

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:52 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

cjh wrote:
Dude, I listened to people for too long about using dual plane manifolds. One day the oppertunity arose to use a single plane. Well, kick me in the a5re, it made a huge difference. Just by bolting it on, nothing else.

What type engine have you used single planes on? How was your idle? my clevo is only 302 at the moment so I need all the torque I can get. I am curious though. I'd like to here other peoples opinions.

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

in your setup, basicly stock, use a duel plane over a single plan, the loss in low RPM torque just ins't worth the few HP you'll gain up top.

further to that, if you can pay the extra and the get the RPM AIR GAP.

testing has shown it out performs the performer RPM manifold in the low and mid range and almost matches some of the large sinlge plain manifold at higher RPM.
the devorced runners do a good job at cutting heat soak and the extra hight of the manifold gives the runners a better run into the ports.

it's as simple as an adapter plate to get a spread bore to fit any of the square bore manifolds

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:05 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
in your setup, basicly stock, use a duel plane over a single plan, the loss in low RPM torque just ins't worth the few HP you'll gain up top.

further to that, if you can pay the extra and the get the RPM AIR GAP.

testing has shown it out performs the performer RPM manifold in the low and mid range and almost matches some of the large sinlge plain manifold at higher RPM.
the devorced runners do a good job at cutting heat soak and the extra hight of the manifold gives the runners a better run into the ports.

it's as simple as an adapter plate to get a spread bore to fit any of the square bore manifolds

I was actually going to ask about the performer rpm air gap. How is bonnet clearance with this manifold? I have an XC with the fluted bonnet. cutting holes in the bonnet is out of the question.

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

kircher wrote:
cjh wrote:

What type engine have you used single planes on? How was your idle? my clevo is only 302 at the moment so I need all the torque I can get. I am curious though. I'd like to here other peoples opinions.

Have used them on 253's, 308's, 355 strokers, 351C's, 302's, 318's and 360's, as well as 283's, 307's, 327's and 350's.
Also what helps is to recurve the dizzy.

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Triton ute BA Futura

VIC, Australia

you can get a spreadbore edelbrock manifold

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

it's as simple as an adapter plate to get a spread bore to fit any of the square bore manifolds[/quote]

I was actually going to ask about the performer rpm air gap. How is bonnet clearance with this manifold? I have an XC with the fluted bonnet. cutting holes in the bonnet is out of the question.[/quote]
I put an edelbrock torker manifold on my old xc with both holley and thermoquad carb's and the under bonnet clearance was fine.

ef fairmont ghia 5.0L
classy cruiser

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:55 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

That's good to hear revhead. The torker is taller than the rpm air-gap.

Post subject: manifold
Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:15 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

have had both redline & edlebrock performer on my xc 302 that was standard found that a single plane came in to late for the rpm range of a standard motor! The edlebrock worked very well from 1500 to 6000rpm
& i still have that manifold to this day!

Thats my 2c worth hope this will help you!

ON THE EIGHTH DAY GOD CREATED HOLDENS TO KEEP THE d***head OUT OF FORDS

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]