Fordmods Logo

Central Locking Actuator Placement 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: Central Locking Actuator Placement
Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:32 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford XH Ute

ACT, Australia

Has anyone got a pic of the Central Locking Actuator Placement in an X-series door?

Going to install a Jaycar central locking kit into my XH and was hoping someone had a pic of where the actuators were located - save me staring at the door for an hour trying to figure out where to put them :-)!

Post subject: Re: Central Locking Actuator Placement
Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

I thought XH had actuators.....if not, may have holes there already......down near the bottom of the door, one hole above the other, 6mm holes........same place as where the trim screws go to hold the door trim on.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: EL F100 CAPRI XR EF

Power: 234 rwkw

SA, Australia

as cjh said, basically directly below the lock button rod or as close as possible, u can put a couple of bends in it to clear the door frame etc

Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:19 pm 
Parts Gopher

ACT, Australia

About where they are located on this EF/EL Door?

documents.php?d=74

On a related matter....................

The door lock/unlock mechanisms themselves seem like they have had a pretty tough life - is it common for them to fail?

I find that when you lock/unlock the door it is pretty tight and the lock knob dosen't have much travel - also feels like the door handles are about to come off :-)! There is a fix I came across for the door handles on XF Forum, but this still won't address the door lock mechanism issues that appear to be present.

Can these mechanisms be refurbished? replaced with new stock?

Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

There may be something wrong with the latch mechanisms if they are very stiff.
It also won't help if the original actuators are stuffed, they also make it very stiff.
How are the door hinges???,.....does the door drop much when opening???
This also buggers the handles.

Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:27 pm 
Parts Gopher

ACT, Australia

The door does take some effort to close, assumed it was the locking mechanisms, but could also be an alignment issue because of old and worn hinges.

Guess you can't get hinges or door mechanisms from Ford - need to reburb them or find some in good condition.

I need to get a proper workshop manual for this stuff!

Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

aussiexh wrote:
The door does take some effort to close, assumed it was the locking mechanisms, but could also be an alignment issue because of old and worn hinges.

This won't be helping if you get to replace the door latch assemblies.

Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:56 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

cjh wrote:
I thought XH had actuators
AFAIK they all do - only some of the series I were keyless, all series II were keyless.
Not hard to wire up the BEM to make it keyless entry.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:58 pm 
Parts Gopher

ACT, Australia

Quote:
AFAIK they all do - only some of the series I were keyless, all series II were keyless.
Not hard to wire up the BEM to make it keyless entry.

Weird................mine certaintly don't! Unless someone removed them, but that would be even weirder!

Mine is a December 1996, and it is really, really basic - like vinyl floor, bench seat, no demister.

Quote:
This won't be helping if you get to replace the door latch assemblies.

They are f£cked, had a look at them today and there is a good 10mm worth of play in the door, maybe more - the hinges have had it!

I am going to put a bush kit through the hinges, I have to take the doors off anyways to drill holes for the actuator wiring, so will just do this at the same time. The doors are so wobbly that the latch mechanism on the body has been eaten away by the door mechanism :-) They will probably need replacing to!

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: XH Ute / AU3 V8 Wagon

QLD, Australia

You can still buy the lower door hinges from Ford, and remember XD to XH use the same hinge. BUT, the XH hinges and doors use a countersunk bolt to mount them. They can be a pain to remove/refit. A new hinge will not be countersunk. I just used the bolts from an earlier model, but that's up to you.
Make sure when you have the doors off, that the door itself is not cracked around the hinge lower area. It is a very common problem. If you have to repair it, reinforce it with a thicker steel plate so it doesnt happen again.
Good luck. 8-)

Yes, I own a Ute. No, I won't help you move!

EL Wagon Build Thread http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sooty72-s-ef-futura-wagon-long-term-project-t90025.html
XH Ute Thread http://www.fordmods.com/post1138970.html#p1138970

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:47 pm 
Parts Gopher

ACT, Australia

Quote:
You can still buy the lower door hinges from Ford, and remember XD to XH use the same hinge. BUT, the XH hinges and doors use a countersunk bolt to mount them. They can be a pain to remove/refit. A new hinge will not be countersunk. I just used the bolts from an earlier model, but that's up to you.
Make sure when you have the doors off, that the door itself is not cracked around the hinge lower area. It is a very common problem. If you have to repair it, reinforce it with a thicker steel plate so it doesnt happen again.
Good luck. 8-)

Local Ford Wrecker/Parts place sold me a set of buch kits for the hinges - I will just replace the upper and lower hinge bushes and pins in the existing hinges - only cost about $60 for all 4 hinges. Bit more fiddly then just replacing the hinge, but a touch cheaper :-)!

I will have a good look at the door to make sure it isn't cracked when I pop them off - I take it I can just weld it up if there is a crack?

By reinforcing the area do you mean something like............Cut out the existing steel on the door where the hinge bolts onto, weld in a thick plate so it overlaps inside the door, then weld another plate over the top and feather it in so it appears I haven't touch the area at all?

Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:51 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Mate
If the door is cracked get a section that will go from the top hinge and under the door any old door skin will do make up a template using paper and tape and transfer the info and drill out the holes position the place to the door and tack weld in position then mig weld slowly using a wet cloth to reduce temperature and paint burning. once finished use no more gaps to seal then paint good luck

gassa

When the clutch drops the bull s**t stops!!!!!

Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:32 pm 
Parts Gopher

ACT, Australia

Someone has beaten me to it :-)!

There was plates already welded over the top of the bottom hinges on both doors - was a touch messy so I grinded it down and re-welded it.

Put some Nylock nuts onto the door handles (passenger side stopped engaging) and replaced the hinge door pins and striker plates so when it all goes back together should open properly :-)!

Interesting though.............was fitting the Jaycar actuators (obiviously no factory ones in place) and I had the idea to integrate it into the BEM and use a factory Fey Fob and the Smartlock system.

I pulled the BEM out from under the Acelerator pedal and noticed it was Brown.............not Black or Green - after reading through the FAQ's about installing Central Locking, I could not see a red/yellow wire (Pin 4) or a yellow/black wire (Pin 6) going into my BEM - my BEM's Pin 4 & 6 wires were different colours.

There is a local Ford Parts fellow and he told me I wouldn't have the functionality for Central Locking or a Rear Window Demister with my current BEM - seems like he was right - anyone else know if the BEM from the Series 1 XH can facilitate Central Locking?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]