Fordmods Logo

clean isc? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: clean isc?
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:51 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 96 Fairmont Ghia argon silver

NSW, Australia

hi, got a problem with the fairlane. the idle is ok when its cold, but when its warm, it drops off and stalls for no reason.

i have to constantly put it in N when i slow down or im stopped. when its in D or R it stalls. i have to blast the throttle then put it in gear at the same time as letting the brake off.
someone said before that you should clean the isc. how do i do this? i have taken it off, but cant get the black thing off the end. do i just soak it in something?

currently i have the isc disconnected at the wiring loom, and have put the idle speed up so it doesnt stall in D. only problem is that now in N it idles at about 1100rpm.

any ideas?

thanks

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:51 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 1984 FD LTD

QLD, Australia

i lived with a chick that had an XF fairmont Ghia efi wagon, it used to idle fine when cold, but stall when it was warm / at operating temp when in gear.

to fix this, i took to the throttle body with a can of carby clean, and sprayed like crazy. also pulled a few of the other hoses off and sprayed them with carby clean too.

after this, wouldnt stall when stopped in drive - one happy owner and a free weeks rent for me.

hope that helps

Member Of "Team LWB"
FD: My Current Project

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/ ... age029.jpg

ZL: A Work In Progress - that went to the tip!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/ ... maller.jpg

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:09 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

yeah, i will have to try that one.

i also thought it might be the temp sensor playing up. the guage in the car works fine, so i was just wondering if its the same sensor for the guage as for the ecu...

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:32 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

carb cleaner cleaned out everything real good, and now it runs a bit smoother, but still hunts up and down, and sometimes down far enough to stall...

someone said on a post i saw once that it might be leak in the oil system. my engine has no rocker cover gasket, and also, the pcv valve doesnt seal to the rocker cover cos the rubber bit is broken.

is this the problem that would create these symptoms? or is it something else?

thanks for your help guys..

Shay

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i am guessing its a crossflow, the efi systems on them required the engine to be sealed tight even the wrong dipstick or a broken seal on the oil cap will cause a bad idle. while its running rev the engine a little enough not to stall when you pull out the pcv valve from the rocker cover and stick you thumb over the end of it, while holding your thumb over the pcv let it back down to idle and see if it runs smooth. you will be able to see if its the poor seal causing the problem

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:57 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

yeah, did that before to make sure there was vacuum, and it is strong vacuum, but when it is in the rocker cover, i can hear air leaking in around it. the rubber boot is shot beyond repair.

so if i have my finger over the pcv, should it idle smoothly then? because it doesnt with my finger over it. its a bit better, but not completely ok.

thanks for your help

Shay

Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:08 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 1984 FD LTD

QLD, Australia

as fastleno says, these motors NEED to have no air leaks at all to be able to maintain any form of nice idling.
is the dipstick sealing correctly?
oil cap sealed right up?

all your vacume hoses going where they should be and are not perrished / deteriorated?

keep in mind tho, that the str6 of this era is never a good idler.

the temp sender for coolant is on the front of the head - near to the thermostat. there should be a plug with a red wire attached to it onto the head, and another plug with 2 or 3 wires coming out the back of it.

Member Of "Team LWB"
FD: My Current Project

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/ ... age029.jpg

ZL: A Work In Progress - that went to the tip!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/ ... maller.jpg

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:54 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

well, i checked all the hoses and connections a while ago and put them on the places where they should be, cos they were all mostly wrong. that fixed the dont-wanna-start problem.

i will have to check the dipstick, oil cap, and everything else, and replace as necessary, because i think this is definately the problem.

btw, does it idle rough when its cold as well? cos mine seems to idle fine when cold, if a little fast. its only when it gets warm that it turns to pus.

thanks for your help

Shay

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]