Fordmods Logo

Damn door problem 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Damn door problem
Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:29 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

So has there been any door handle solution for the 'mighty' XF yet or am i still stuck with busted doorhandles?

Post subject: my solution
Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:35 am 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

well what i did, was get some aftermarket ones from a ford wreaker, aparently they are brought so much that they are still made. they are stronger than the stock ones anyway, but then i welded them up a little to make them stronger, and finally i sprayed mine with spray grease, and i did that from time to time, just did all the insides of the doors at the same time, worked a treat.

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: BA Falcon

Power: 106 rwkw

SA, Australia

when I had the old xd many moons ago I use to gather all the bits and put the lever back on with a small self tapping screw and washer. never really had any probs after that.

2003 BA Falcon Egas Taxi Pack - XR Replica
Tpak MKII Build Thread

1984 ZL Fairlane
The Project

Post subject: Re: Damn door problem
Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:21 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: XE Falcon

NSW, Australia

And_ROOS wrote:
So has there been any door handle solution for the 'mighty' XF yet or am i still stuck with busted doorhandles?

Got a supercrap auto in your area? They sell em for something like 15 bucks a corner. If they're charging more than that or supercrap doesn't float your boat or something, go get em off ebay!

Post subject: door handles
Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:45 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ZH Marquis

NSW, Australia

after market ones are the way to go ..... And adjust your interior linkages so that the door handle doesnt have to be yanked up
Cheers
Mick

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:44 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XL XE XF

WA, Australia

Check the pivot pins. If the pins or the bushes are worn they will let the door drop - replace with repair kit bushes and pins if door has dropped. Check by opening the door slightly and try lifting the door (use bottom edge - not handle!!). A small drop of a couple of mm can be adjusted out on the striker. Make sure the latches are free and well lubricated. Adjust up the striker plate so the door is not catching. Adjust all the internal rods so that the loss motion is removed, that is, the handle is working on the first part of the motion outwards and not upwards. When I did all of this I can open all doors "ONE FINGER"

Cheers

XFSTEVE

(Had a taxi mate who ran an XF in the 80's and he said he could change a broken handle in 3 minutes and always had at least two sets in the boot. In three years he said he averaged a handle a month.)

Even a backfire from a Ford is a QUALITY BACKFIRE

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:11 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 11 images

NSW, Australia

[quote="XFSteve"]Check the pivot pins. If the pins or the bushes are worn they will let the door drop - replace with repair kit bushes and pins if door has dropped. Check by opening the door slightly and try lifting the door (use bottom edge - not handle!!). A small drop of a couple of mm can be adjusted out on the striker. Make sure the latches are free and well lubricated. Adjust up the striker plate so the door is not catching. Adjust all the internal rods so that the loss motion is removed, that is, the handle is working on the first part of the motion outwards and not upwards. When I did all of this I can open all doors "ONE FINGER"

Cheers

XFSTEVE

(Had a taxi mate who ran an XF in the 80's and he said he could change a broken handle in 3 minutes and always had at least two sets in the boot. In three years he said he averaged a handle a month.)[/quote]

This pin and bush kit you talk about, could you tell me who stocks them, I did them on an old falcon years ago but my ute now has the same problem and I havent been able to find a supplier of these, just get strange looks when I ask them.

cheers mick

The screw in the back always worked a treat and never failed.

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:45 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XL XE XF

WA, Australia

DOOR HINGE REPAIR KIT XD XE XF ZJ ZK ZL 1 P/DOOR - NEW currently on eBay Item number: 200039491102 - BOUT AN HOUR OR SO TO GO!!!!

You could get them from Monowai Systems Pty Ltd

Cheers

XFSteve

Even a backfire from a Ford is a QUALITY BACKFIRE

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]