Diff widths? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Diff widths?
Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:58 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: XB

TAS, Australia

Gday,

I need to pull my wheels in by 20mm each side. I have been told that I have an XD diff. Just wondering what the width of the XD, XB and XY/W diffs were.

I am getting a custom 9" built and would rather use std length XY axles than have to get custom billet ones made, so I hope the XY ones are 40mm shorter than XD.

Cheers,

Matt

76XBGS, 383c, custom crow cam, 4V p&p heads, Isky SS Valve+springs, extractors, 2.5"twins, MSD Ignition, Edelbrock intake, Forged bottom end, Barry Grant 750DP, thermo, discs, toploader, Holley fuel pump, SUPERCHARGED!

Post subject: Re: Diff widths?
Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Mac Winter 76XB351GS wrote:
Gday,

I need to pull my wheels in by 20mm each side. I have been told that I have an XD diff. Just wondering what the width of the XD, XB and XY/W diffs were.

I am getting a custom 9" built and would rather use std length XY axles than have to get custom billet ones made, so I hope the XY ones are 40mm shorter than XD.

Cheers,

Matt

Yeah, the XW/XY diffs are shorter, but by how much I don't know. From XA to XF, they never changed the track width, as far as I know.
Can you get wheels made to the offset your after????
You also have to remember the springs too, where they are to dodge them.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:05 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: XB

TAS, Australia

Thanks mate, I was pretty sure they were the same after the XA....but I have heard that the very first XAs were only 20mm wider and then later on moved to 40mm.

I have just bought a set of Convo Pros. I got the 3 3/8" backspace version because it looks a lot better than the 5" IMO. They only need 15 to 20mm to make them fit perfectly...and its a good excuse to build a proper diff.

As for the springs, they do look pretty close to the brakes but I havent been able to measure them properly. Since the diff will be a full custom job I was planning on rotating the calipers out of the way if it was an issue.

Also, Im of the understanding that mechanical LSD centres are legal (such as the detroit locker version) as they allow the car to turn corners easily and only lock under loss of traction. Is this true, or have I missed something?

Cheers,

Matt

76XBGS, 383c, custom crow cam, 4V p&p heads, Isky SS Valve+springs, extractors, 2.5"twins, MSD Ignition, Edelbrock intake, Forged bottom end, Barry Grant 750DP, thermo, discs, toploader, Holley fuel pump, SUPERCHARGED!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]