e searies into xf 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: e searies into xf
Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:27 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ford fairmont xf

QLD, Australia

e searies into xf
hay guys looking at getting a 87 xf fairmont ghia and was woundering what needs to be done when putting a e series diff into a xf allso looking a using a e series gearbox to. would it make sense to just buy a old ea and do a engine gearbox and diff change.

ill be looking at a stright gas turbo kit down the track to.

was thinking of using the ea carby engine so i dont have to buy a aftermarket bellhousing

is the ea 5 speed stronger than the xf one

can the e series gear handel being turboed mainly woried bout the engine.

thnaks guys u never seem to fail me

Post subject: Re: e searies into xf
Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

afaik if you get a XG engine crossmember a 4L will bolt in. then it's just the electrics side of things. could get a damage XG for the transplant.

the EA-EB1 diff will bolt straight in it your XF has disc brake rear. if not you'll have to change the brakes over. EB2 onwards diffs had different lower trailing arms. so a bit of a screw around mix and matching the bushes to make them work.

for the gearbox do you mean manual? if you put a E-series motor in you'll need a E-series bell housing. XF-EB1 had the same T5 gearbox. EB2 onwards till EL had a stronger gearbox.

apparently EF/L motors are better for turbo'ing in standard form

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:07 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ford fairmont xf

QLD, Australia

ok does the same apply for the xd

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

XD had a leaf sprung rear so you would have to use a ute or wagon e-series diff. and XF wasn't released with a T5 gearbox

Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:30 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

WILDEB wrote:
afaik if you get a XG engine crossmember a 4L will bolt in. then it's just the electrics side of things. could get a damage XG for the transplant.

the EA-EB1 diff will bolt straight in it your XF has disc brake rear. if not you'll have to change the brakes over. EB2 onwards diffs had different lower trailing arms. so a bit of a screw around mix and matching the bushes to make them work.

for the gearbox do you mean manual? if you put a E-series motor in you'll need a E-series bell housing. XF-EB1 had the same T5 gearbox. EB2 onwards till EL had a stronger gearbox.

you cant change k frames in x series, its part of the frame, you dont need to! its only where the mounts bolt up that you change, but it its currently a xflow you bolt the xflow mounts straight up to the e series engine, the only thing you need to change is the sway bar to an xg one to clear the sump and the bellhousing to suit..

WILDEB wrote:
XD had a leaf sprung rear so you would have to use a ute or wagon e-series diff. and XF wasn't released with a T5 gearbox

xf was released with t5..

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
WILDEB wrote:

you cant change k frames in x series, its part of the frame, you dont need to! its only where the mounts bolt up that you change, but it its currently a xflow you bolt the xflow mounts straight up to the e series engine, the only thing you need to change is the sway bar to an xg one to clear the sump and the bellhousing to suit..

WILDEB wrote:

xf was released with t5..

oh i know the XF was released with it. i meant XD. my first post i said XF-EA T5 is the same

and i stand corrected with the K frame bit. why are there not more X-series with 4L's

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:09 pm 

NSW, Australia

WILDEB wrote:

and i stand corrected with the K frame bit. why are there not more X-series with 4L's

probably because most of them are in scrap yards or whats left have clevo's in them..

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
quote="WILDEB"]

probably because most of them are in scrap yards or have clevo's in them..[/quote]

this is true.

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
WILDEB wrote:

probably because most of them are in scrap yards or whats left have clevo's in them..

false I've spent plenty of time at wrecking yards, your confused, it's the fact most of them are in hyundai's or have clevo's/ windsor's in them :lol:

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:09 am 

NSW, Australia

OZBMX wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:
WILDEB wrote:

false I've spent plenty of time at wrecking yards, your confused, it's the fact most of them are in hyundai's or have clevo's/ windsor's in them :lol:

scrap yards , as in scrap metal... there are next to no x series at the wreckers around here...

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

i MEANT AS MOST HAVE BEEN LONG SCRAPPED SENT TO CHINA AND ARE BACK AS HYUNDAI'S :lol:

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Xfalcon.com has a lot of answers for this.

E Series Diff (EA, B, D) bolts straight in, EF, EL will bolt in but handbrake will need similar work as handbrake on EB to EF conversion.

If using an EA or EB Series 1 Diff, no changes required to tailshaft
If using an EB II or later diff, grab the E Series sedan tailshaft as it will have a flange on it instead of the Uni

handbrake Cable should be the EB or ED one from your Diff Donor car - the lengths are slightly different

For Fluid connections : ABS has an imperial to Metric thread adapter that will allow you to use all existing brake lines (body to flexible line at the diff). in my car, I made up cables as I have DB Gearbox mounts as well now.

For Engine mounts : I believe EA Engine Mounts, using XF Base plates works correctly : XG base plates and engine mounts are not required.

Radiator : XG Radiator is the most workable, with the overflow at the rear RHS of the car using XG hoses.

4 Speed auto : im not sure if its a simple bolt-in. on late XF's post 85, Ford modified the Gearbox crossmember to EA Style (3 speed auto), loosing the dual mounts of the XD/E. On my car (87 Ghia), these mounts intruded too far into the centre of the car to just get the gearbox in. On a Manual gearbox you wont have this issue. You will instead look to use the XF T5 gearbox crossmember as it has a bend in it to suit.

Electrics : hey lots of things can be done.

http://www.xfalcon.com/forum/showthread.php?32574-My-87-XF....&p=569391#post569391
My 87 XF Ghia now has a DC 5.0 EFI/4 speed auto, full DC Electric harnesses, and XH Style Dash cover with DC Dashboard in it. Its still a work in progress, but Im running and driving around.

Nigel

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:46 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: fairlane ute

VIC, Australia

if your installing the log manifold you WILL need the XG engine base plates, or cut the crap out of your lower radiator support panel. Just installed it, then removed it for an EF BBM manifold which dont require xg engine base plates.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]