Fordmods Logo

EB lsd into XF 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: EB lsd into XF
Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:13 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 95 EF XR8

QLD, Australia

I've got an 85 XF S'pack and I've also got an eb fairmont ghia lsd with disc brake rear end sitting in the shed. I'd like to put the lsd into my XF. I've never done a diff install before and just wondered if anyone can give me some pointers? The original brakes are drums and i'd like to fit the new diff and axle with the disc brakes. How hard is it and what else is required to get this setup to work correctly? Also my XF is running heavy duty rear suspension that has coil springs and leaf springs. I'm thinking of ditching the leafs and putting lowered springs in as the new axle assembly is coil spring setup and not leaf. Would this be a problem?
At this stage any help would be appreciated thanks.

Post subject: Re: EB lsd into XF
Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:17 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

what do you mean it has coil and leaf springs???

if its a xf sedan it should have coil suspension that is the same set up as an eb..
eg 4 link with wats link...
wagon and ute have leaf springs..

otherwise it should bolt straight in the only issues would be tail shaft flange is different to eb but you can swap them over.the lower trailing arm bushes change from xf/ea/eb1 and eb2 change to a wider bush. so what series eb is the diff from??
and the brake lines might be different but im sure they are also pretty much the same..

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:26 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Thanks for the quick reply mate.
It's a sedan but it definately has leaf springs and what look to be coil springs over the shockies as well. I was led to believe it may be something to do with the tow pack thats fitted??
Not sure what series eb it was either unfortunately, the bloke who gave it to me just said eb.
As for the brakes - will my brake master cylinder/ booster be ok to use for discs? And will my XF wheels be right to fit on eb hubs?

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:30 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

this might sound silly but are you sure its an xf not an xd???
is it a sedan????

im sure xf has coil springs!

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:56 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
this might sound silly but are you sure its an xf not an xd???
is it a sedan????

im sure xf has coil springs!this might sound silly but are you sure its an xf not an xd???
is it a sedan????

im sure xf has coil springs!

:oops:
Small stuff up on my end... I bought the car 18 months ago as a project from an apprentice at work. Started getting all the gear together for it then bought a house - and it has sat in the shed ever since. Now I've finally decided I'm sick of looking at it and I'm gonna finish it. When I bought it he told me it had leafs and coils because of the tow pack. Well I just crawled back under it for the first time in a year or so and guess what? You're right - it is coil sprung... Guess I should have checked before asking a stupid question and making a tool out of myself. Don't know what he'd been smoking but maybe he confused the lower trailing arms for leafs?? Who knows...

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:58 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

ashcook wrote:
Any pics of the engine bay? I'm pretty keen to see the conversion job.

Sorry mate it's definately still a work in progress - the engine is out at the moment. I'll post up some pics once it's finally sorted. It's an efi 302W from an au, it'll be good once its done. It's about time I finally got back into it.

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:59 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

ashcook wrote:
jamesy3 wrote:
ashcook wrote:
Any pics of the engine bay? I'm pretty keen to see the conversion job.

Sorry mate it's definately still a work in progress - the engine is out at the moment. I'll post up some pics once it's finally sorted. It's an efi 302W from an au, it'll be good once its done. It's about time I finally got back into it.

What are the rules up there, are you allowed to run petrol in a V8 XF or does it have to be LPG only? That is what I had to do in my XF with a 351.

The original engine was a leaded 6, so it's no problem to run a unleaded v8 with late model emission gear on it as it will meet the original emissions reg's not make them worse like fitting a 351 would've. That's part of the reason I went for the 302 as well as being smaller and an easier fit in the engine bay.
It'll still need an engineers cert though as I'm sure you'd already know cause the car never came with a v8 option.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]