Fordmods Logo

EB XR6 Engine into a ZJ Fairlane 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: EB XR6 Engine into a ZJ Fairlane
Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:23 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: AUII XR6, BMW 528i, XF Ute

SA, Australia

it probably been said before but is it possible to drop a EB XR6 engine into the ZJ. i am wanting to revert it back to carby (Possible Holley 600) to save getting new looms and computers. at the moment it is connected to a 5 spd manual and i can get the engine plus box for aroun the $400 mark

thanks boys n girls

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:50 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 1984 FD LTD

QLD, Australia

it will physically fit into the engine bay.
you will need xg engine mounts to make it bolt up and an xg radiator too along with a few other smaller things

in regards to the computer vs carby - use the computer and looms, IMO itl pass roadworthy easier

Member Of "Team LWB"
FD: My Current Project

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/ ... age029.jpg

ZL: A Work In Progress - that went to the tip!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/ ... maller.jpg

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:16 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: AUII XR6, BMW 528i, XF Ute

SA, Australia

cheers for that, im not much for computers im more carby but ill take your advice and put the computer in

thanks

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:16 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

zk wrote:
it will physically fit into the engine bay.
you will need xg engine mounts to make it bolt up and an xg radiator too along with a few other smaller things

in regards to the computer vs carby - use the computer and looms, IMO itl pass roadworthy easier

Oh god here we go again! Another person that feels the need to give advice where they have ZERO experience.

XG PARTS ARE NOT I REPEAT NOT REQUIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

XG engine mounts are just EA mounts. The base plates are different to XD-XF however they too are not required. There is evidence to suggest (from those that HAVE done this) that the XG base mounts put the engine slightly more forward in the bay such that the EA-ED type alternator will foul on the lower radiator support. Just use EA mounts on the engine and leave the base mounts as they are.

The XG radiator doesn't fit properly and has different mounting points as a result of a different radiator support panel to an XF. The overflow bottle is mounted remotely in the LHR of the engine bay and feeds into the heater pipe assembly.

The EA/B radiator can be fitted more easily but requires the use and modification of two LH lower rad mounts (*the wide ones). Then you have to use a LH mount on the RH side and space them according to the width of the radiator. Same goes for the upper mounts.

Using a carby is a STUPID idea unless this is a speedway car. But since you raised it i'll deal with it. You will either have to modify a an early CPI manifold to take a carby or fabricate a manifold to suit. There is talk, and is is only talk, of AussieSpeed casting a 4 barrel manifold to suit the 4.0 litre engines.

Remove the ecu and what are you going to use for a distributor??? Running a crossflow dizzy is a possibility but you will have to flip the drive gear. Then the installed height of the dizzy becomes a problem. There are also clearance issues below the deck height with interference of the secondary shaft. Grind that away and then you lose support of the shaft and the dizzy gets sloppy and will break down soon after. BEEN THERE DONE THAT. The only dizzy i have seen properly modified took three dizzys to make one and a solid day of lathe work. The other option is to use a late model XF carby EST system. Do some searches for EST as i know i have covered this before for other people.

Just bite the bullet and get the stock ecu wired up, use a cat convertor and all emissions equip. Otherwise you should be looking at straight gas.

The engine is the cheapest part of the conversion. You will be lucky to have change out of $3k by the time its done even if you do 99% of it yourself.

Here is the thread with pics of the latest one i have been involved in.
http://www.xfalcon.com/forum/showthread ... 449&page=4

I'm also toying with AU and BA conversions but they get slightly more complicated.

xfalcon is a good resource for info on this as i've written quite a bit on it there.

EA SVO Fairmont Ghia - Recaros, Bilsteins, Sunroof, SVO rims and body kit, Genie headers, DBA rotors. T5 steeda triax short shifter. 3.27 lsd. (EL 4.0 ported/polished, rebuilt and balanced, Dev5 cam. J3 chipped EL ecu, AU injectors).

Post subject: xr6 into fairlane
Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:18 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

thick film distributors found in xf falcons are exactly the same as those in 3.9 ltr ea engines so in theory the 2 wire electric dizzy in earlier falcons ie xd through to xf should fit to so therefore should fit eb xr6 as the 4ltr is the same block this is refering to old mate that wants to fit the xr engine to the fairlane. i know this information because i have done this for a derby car. i made an adapter plate for the cpi manifold to take the adm 33 webber carby on the xe -xf falcon this thing flew and id like to see a ohc ford engine with a 350-400 holley with the right jets as i think the result would be scary.

treat her right and she'll go for ever

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:07 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

The dizzy`s aren`t the same... the modules on EST XF and early CPI Eseries are, easiest way is using EST system from an XF. You`ll chew Xseries dizzy`s up every few weeks.

Only need to look at the units themselves to see thay would be a dodgy fit

JAIKAI

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:29 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

i know its possable to fit a xe/xf distributor into a e series block you need to turn the dizzy drive gear upside down..

its been done 100s of times on speedway cars..
i dont know the reliability of the set up but i know it works..

sorry i just realised what i said has been posted above...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]