Fordmods Logo

EF model 3.9L into an XE... but can it be done? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: EF model 3.9L into an XE... but can it be done?
Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:00 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: fALCON

VIC, Australia

Hey there everybody. Before anyone gets started, I am a newbie... so go easy one me :oops:

Anyways, I have this old EF falcon sitting in my yard, and this old XE as well. The XE has been off the road for about a year and a half now, ever since it got canaried for the [ahem] brightness of the left inside brake light [oink oink]. The EF got it's finer end ripped off by a truck last year, but considering I managed to drive it home afterwards, I'd say that all the running gear is still pretty good. So I gets this idea right: rip the running gear out of the EF and put it into the XE shell, which is still good. Sound mad? Well, please feel free to tell me so... otherwise, if there is anyone out there who could give me some pointers on how I coudl go about this, or have done it themselves, that would be awesome.

FYI: I am an electrical/computer tech by trade, but was brought up smelling petrol from the land of the big blue oval. I can do most things with a car... I suppose I just need to know:

a. if it can be done, and
b. what regulations I need to adhere to in doing it

Nothing is impossible

Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

this sounds interesting....would be awes to see...
hehe try taking the dash over aswell....that would be sweet!

Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:46 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

I've just been perusing the posts in here... I reckon taking over the cluster beats keeping the old one, due to me not having to adapt the old one to suit the loom...

I was thinking the only way that I could do it is to take the whole drive train over and mod the tailshaft length to suit, assuming of course the tail can be just swapped over. I'm also thinking that as long as I keep the engine stock I should be able to get past the exhaust requirements providing I keep the exhaust system relatively intact.

Any ideas ppl?

Nothing is impossible

Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

use most of the loom, use the cluster, keep the smart lock if you can (not sure how easy it is to disable).
I think it all bolts in right, you have to use the engine mounts off an XG (corect me if im wrong).
how would you go with the cooling system outlets, arent' they on the other side?
I think the EF's diff should basically bolt up under the XE.
if you do decide to do this, it will be worth it in the end.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 1:05 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the encouragement... XG mounts fit E-series motors to the old X series chassis - thanks for the tip :)

Anyways, I bassically have the whole car there, so all of the wiring looms and electronics are coming out of it and going into the XE. What worries me is just the tailshaft, and whether I need to change the length, but for all I know it could be just a straight changeover (and without too many hassles from VicRoads either too.)

I am making a website to show my progress. It is only in the design and planning stages, so when I get the site up I'll tell you all :)

And again, thanks for the encouragement. I've been told it wouldn't be worth it... bugger those who can't see beyond their noses :wink: [/url]

Nothing is impossible

Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 6:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR Turbo

NSW, Australia

you will also be needing an xg radiator (due to outlets being on the wrong side) and an xg sway bar.. (just becoz the xf/e one doesnt fit) just a thought...

-mitch

BF XR6T 6spd Auto. 60lb injectors, Hybrid Cooler, Custom Piping, Custom Surge Tank, Actuator.

12.3 @ 114

Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 8:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Are the AU conversions the same or do you have to modify the sump?

Posted: Sun May 29, 2005 9:53 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: XE S Pac

VIC, Australia

why dont u just run carby? grab a intake off ea-ed carby and itll bolt straight on to the EF motor! s**t load less hasles, u will prolly need to make new gear box mounts too cuz i dont think they line up. this is a pretty big job but i have seen an ea motor (same as ef) in an red XC running turbo :|

Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 1:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Emissions mate emissions. If plod popped your bonnet and seen a EF rocker cover with a carb hanging of to the side you would be up s**t creek my boy.

And the EA is not a carbi. Its got Central Fuel Injection. i.e.2 big mumma injectors located in an hollowed out webber 2 barrel. A bloke at uni wants to use 6 injectors off the CFI in his MPFI EA twin turbo. If he pulls it off then good luck to him.

Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 1:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

besides which, no such thing as a carby E-series falcon..... XF's were the last falcons to have a carby engine as an option

Banned

Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 1:46 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 95 XG S Ute

VIC, Australia

risben wrote:
Thanks for the encouragement... XG mounts fit E-series motors to the old X series chassis - thanks for the tip :)

[/url]

Not quite. The XG gear makes the E series stuff fit in a XG, but the front end of the XG and the XD-F is slightly different again. It's close, but not a straight swap.

Check out www.xfalcon.com and a bit of a discussion on there about an AU engine into an XF body swap. More fab work than people might think.

Homer! What have you done to the car? I don't think it had broken axles before.

Before! Before! You're living in the past, Marge. Quit living in the past.

Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:26 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EFII Futura

VIC, Australia

I would be putting the 4 wheel discs off the EF in aswell. Especially if it has ABS.

Old Holdens never die,they die WAY before they get old!

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Wagon, ph34r!

WA, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
Emissions mate emissions. If plod popped your bonnet and seen a EF rocker cover with a carb hanging of to the side you would be up s**t creek my boy.

And the EA is not a carbi. Its got Central Fuel Injection. i.e.2 big mumma injectors located in an hollowed out webber 2 barrel. A bloke at uni wants to use 6 injectors off the CFI in his MPFI EA twin turbo. If he pulls it off then good luck to him.

For all it achieves, CFI may as well be a carby. A lot of the problems that plagued carby design are present in CFI engines. MPEFI is a more elegant, a more precise and an all round better system. One description I read of CFI was "it may have electric jets but it's still a carby, and a damn s**t one at that" (I'm working off memory so it may not be a 100% accurate quote but the gist is there).

As I understand it, CFI was one of a couple of ways Detroit came up with in the late 70s and early 80s to transition from 100% carbs without having to re-tool their production lines too much. I've never been able to fathom how it ended up on the EA. Considering both the XE and XF had MPEFI systems (as crude as they were, CFI is much, much cruder) it just seems like such a huge step backwards.

Team Argon Silver

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:08 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Fairlane

NSW, Australia

heyo,

i have been lightly considering retro fiting a newer engine in my fairlane, but looking at it there isn't really THAT much of a power gain

ZK EFI 122kw and 333Nm torque
EF EFI 157kw and 355Nm torque

IMHO the extra power comes mainly form having thermo fans and more revs. i think with fiting thermos fans and a few other lil bits to the 250cross flow would be a lot less time and money consuming, u wont have to fabricate anything and worry about engineers.

maybe sell the EF bits and use the $$$ to buy the cross flow bits.

cya
Rene.

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Fairlane Ghia

WA, Australia

A 3.9 out of an EF?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next