Fordmods Logo

Electronic dizzy or points replace in pre x flow 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Electronic dizzy or points replace in pre x flow
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

Hi Guys, got a pre cross flow 250 2V that I want to update ignition - either using a points replacement module like a pertronix or whatever - but they seem pricey and I'm yet to see one that seems to be made for a bosch dizzy as they have std. (US fords use autolite I think..)

Alternatively I've seen / heard that people use an XE electronic dizzy - do these fit?? What mods if any do you need to make?

Thanks guys!

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Fairlane Ghia

WA, Australia

Not sure what will fit, but elec pisses all over points.

Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:24 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

only one way to find out. whip down to the wreckers and compare. i agree, the electronic dizzy is the go. it will probably need regraphing.

vote for pedro ? f**k pedro, f**k him up his stupid a***hole.

Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 94 ED Fairmont, MY97 LE WRX

VIC, Australia

I'm pretty sure they fit by memory, but you may need to make a spacer or turn down the base off the dissy were it sits in the block I think. you should be able to strip and place all components from the xd one into the 250 2v dissy though

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

Yeh, took an earlier post's advice and went to u pull it (local remove yer own parts type yard.) I pulled a dizzy out of an XE and found a pre x flow motor, yanked the dizzy from that and tried it out... good news is that they drop straight in, gear seems to mesh fine, shaft seems the same length, but diameter of dizzy in the topmost part of the hole is a bit slack, maybe 20 thou in it....I reckon you could go with this however I think the big drawback is the locating `flat' on the distributor (the surface that the hold down bolt clamps on to when you are setting your timing) sits right over the top of the threaded hole for the clamp....you'd have to either machine/grind into this flat area pretty heavily or something to make it all work. Its kinda in the `too hard' basket at the moment....

Hey, anyone remember Lumenition modules? I think that was how it was spelt - they ( ithink) were a points replacement module??

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

SA, Australia

I use a Crane optical pickup in my mallory twin point body in my 351 and this fires a Crane XR3000 electronic ignition unit.

If they dont make a kit for your particular dizzy, they have a generic one that you should be able to fit. Mine cost about $240 I think. Make sure you get the XR3000 (not the 700) and short out your ballast resistor.

The reason I did it like this, I wanted it to look old school. The twin point mallory has been around for ever and most will think I still use points.

Adrian
EF Fairmont, 5.0Lt, Pacemaker Headers, Sports cats, Redback muff, T5 manual, 16" Tickford rims, Tickford "Body Styling", DBA Gold Rotors, Heritage Green, JVC MP3
XB Coupe, 351C, twin system, C4 shift kitted auto, 9" LSD, Eccose Blue, very loud !!!!

Post subject: Re: Electronic dizzy or points replace in pre x flow
Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:46 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

tearlejc wrote:
Hi Guys, got a pre cross flow 250 2V that I want to update ignition - either using a points replacement module like a pertronix or whatever - but they seem pricey and I'm yet to see one that seems to be made for a bosch dizzy as they have std. (US fords use autolite I think..)

Alternatively I've seen / heard that people use an XE electronic dizzy - do these fit?? What mods if any do you need to make?

Thanks guys!

the xe dizzy does fit into a pre xflow 250 with no mods to the shaft. the gear does mesh with about 5 thou difference
all i did with mine was turn down the baqse on the dizzy small enough so i could get the hold down clamp on.

probably wouldn't be a half bad idea to get the thing regraphed before it goes back in.

cheers

mark

Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:46 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NT, Australia

They do fit all you have to do from memory is change the busch or gear i cant remember but i have seen the set up before.

Mk2 Zephyr
2011 XR6 Special edition

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:14 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Falcon XR

NSW, Australia

the only difference that i have come across is the size of the shaft that sits inside the oil pump drive. The hex dive is the same but the outside diameter is slightly larger on the later models. If you have access to a lathe you can machine it down (as I did and it worked fine).

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]