Fordmods Logo

engine noises 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: engine noises
Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:33 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

gday all,

i was wandering if there is any easy way to fix tapping noises in my engine. its topped up with oil and my engine has only done 160,000 ks. what can i do to get rid of this noise? :x

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

well if its lifter noise which id say it it. u can buy a product that can clean the build up of sludge in the lifters, but if the lifter are warn out or the valve a broken in them then this wont do a thing. and u will to replace the lifters.
also make sure ur using the correct oil for the engine nothing to thick or thin.

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:06 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

do u know the name of this product? and if it was the lifters how much would it cost to get fixed?

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

what car u got. dulon and a few other brands make its, some thing like free lifter some thing like that.
if its a over head cam might cost u 400 to 600 to get them done or so

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:54 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

dont waste your money on that crap, put a litre of diesel through the engine, let it idle for a couple of minutes, then drain the oil and change the filter, use some thick oil! quieten the lifters in no time

OFFICIAL TOKEN BLACKY

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

then watch ur seal all leak.

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef fairmont

NSW, Australia

MATE SOUNDS LIKE THE FULCUMS CHANGE THEM ALSO DONT FOR GET TO CHECK THE BACK LASH IF YOU DONT DO THIS YOU CAN F**CK YOUR CAM

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:35 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

NSW, Australia

MARK.TANIA wrote:
MATE SOUNDS LIKE THE FULCUMS CHANGE THEM ALSO DONT FOR GET TO CHECK THE BACK LASH IF YOU DONT DO THIS YOU CAN F**CK YOUR CAM

alright, alright, no need to yell...

whoever said: dont waste your money on that crap, put a litre of diesel through the engine, let it idle for a couple of minutes, then drain the oil and change the filter, use some thick oil! quieten the lifters in no time

this stuff does its job pretty good... if there just sticking a bit then warm engine up and pour a bottle in while running and then let run for ten minutes... if there sticky then they should free up and no noise... for ten bucks nulon lifter free is the go. if it doesnt work then try bushmechanics way and risk stuffing your engine...

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:49 am 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

chr!s wrote:
MARK.TANIA wrote:

alright, alright, no need to yell...

whoever said: dont waste your money on that crap, put a litre of diesel through the engine, let it idle for a couple of minutes, then drain the oil and change the filter, use some thick oil! quieten the lifters in no time

this stuff does its job pretty good... if there just sticking a bit then warm engine up and pour a bottle in while running and then let run for ten minutes... if there sticky then they should free up and no noise... for ten bucks nulon lifter free is the go. if it doesnt work then try bushmechanics way and risk stuffing your engine...

do it once with diesel, or 10 with nulon...its up to you

OFFICIAL TOKEN BLACKY

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

Yeah a quick fix is a oil change and a bottle of oil change cleaner etc, use Penrite HPR 30 :D Damn good thick oil, that quitened my XF down heaps when i had it. remember dude? :)

OR the expensive fix is to replace the lifters :) Then keep nice oil in it so it doesnt get sticky again. Thats about the only options youve got.

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

Don't discount good oil for getting rid of or quieting noises - on my XB I assumed the motor was dead, lots of nasty noise and about 30 psi oil pressure - drained out the crappo oil (Coles brand...) and got some Shell Helix (no, I'm not paid by shell....) Oil pressure is now 40 psi at idle, 60 ish at 60 kph and virtually no noise - motor still needs replacing but has gone a further 6 months and is still going strong(ish) - what brand of oil are you using??

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:18 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EBII XR6 /ED XR6 /EF XR6

Power: 154 rwkw

QLD, Australia

in my experiance if it is a crossflow motor 9 times out of ten the cam is worn not the lifters. when replacing the head on my xf ghia i did the lifters aswell due to a lifter noise, the new lifters were quite for a while but the noise was back within a couple of months. that was five years ago and the noise is no longer there since i changed the oil i use. i now use castrol fmx 15w40 i think. is a semi synthetic oil and is thinner than the helix i was using. but has quietend my engine. nulon lifter free works well but for the best results change your oil and filter before you use it. use it wit fresh oil as you waste the cleanig agents in it on the dirty oil instead of the carbon deposits. i use at least 1 bottle a week at work this way with a 90% success rate.

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:42 am 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

i just changed the oil and oil filter and put a full bottle of nulon in and its quiten down a little bit. when i start it up in the mornings the lifters are a bit noisy but when its warmed up its okay.

it says on the bottle it doesnt start working at its full till about 500ks so it might get a bit better then.

cheers for ur help guys :D

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

Not a problem mate! :-p

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:20 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

NSW, Australia

no worries, and just remember "do it once - with diesel"!!!

8-)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next