Fordmods Logo

ENGINE TECHNOLOGY.. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: ENGINE TECHNOLOGY..
Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:10 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ford falcon

QLD, Australia

Can anyone tell me if in this day and age there is anything that can be done to the engine of an EFI xf Falcon that could not be done in 1987 to improve the performance of said car, and i do not mean the computer system/s?

Post subject: Re: ENGINE TECHNOLOGY..
Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

NIGHTWING wrote:
Can anyone tell me if in this day and age there is anything that can be done to the engine of an EFI xf Falcon that could not be done in 1987 to improve the performance of said car, and i do not mean the computer system/s?

About all you can do is extractors and exhaust, K&N air filter, another mild cam, port & polish, regraph dizzy ( if its not EST) and a decent heat shield for the airfilter box. :|

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

So i cant even regraph the dizzy on an 87 Efi xf falcon?

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: FALCON EB TURBO, EL XR6

NSW, Australia

Big a*** turbo/supercharger :), or just buy a second hand e-series car complete for like $300 and swap all the gear over.

FALCAHOLIC

IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED
DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE THAT YOU EVEN TRIED

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:57 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Looked into that even got a quote to put an xh into an xf, $4,000.00 al up for everything, with your basic 170 kws but i cant do that with the SVO. If you told me .........." we could use supa dupa valves from olamakisitan that could produce 15 kws more" ...then at least that would be ok as they are in the head and cant be seen.... if you know what i mean.... if i use an engine or turbo/supercharger...etc then its not original...

Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

NIGHTWING wrote:
So i cant even regraph the dizzy on an 87 Efi xf falcon?

I can't remember what the ignition system was on an 87 XF. I remember that they have a Blue cover on the Airflow meter. What does the dizzy look like???? got a pic???
If its the same as the XE EFI, then you can regraph the dizzy. That makes quite a bit of difference off the mark and acceleration.
What diff ratio are you running???? Auto??, manual.....4sp or 5sp????

Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: eb

NSW, Australia

xf efi dizzy-why would you want to regraph it,makes absolutely no difference to anything as all it is is a dizzy housing with a chopper disc inside and a TFI module on the outside,your ECU is what does all the work not the dizzy,the dizzy is essentially a sensor boltede to your donk.

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:48 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

If its the computer that does all the work then kool, i just thought you could re graph the dizzy to the cam specifications....

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

hot-04l wrote:
xf efi dizzy-why would you want to regraph it,makes absolutely no difference to anything as all it is is a dizzy housing with a chopper disc inside and a TFI module on the outside,your ECU is what does all the work not the dizzy,the dizzy is essentially a sensor boltede to your donk.

Didn't you comprehend the post I wrote....... :| ......I said if it was like an XE EFI dizzy, but then since the XF EFI has a TFI type dizzy, then you can't.

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:35 pm 
Stock as a Rock

TAS, Australia

Absolutely you could use modern engine technology to gain some advantage, but it would NOT be cheap.
For a start you could get the head CNC ported and matched, you could get a theoreticallly perfect extractors designed to give maximum torque at a given rpm range, you could probably adapt some low friction pistons and light conrods from something newer, although a lot of machine work would probably be required...latest cam grinds might give a slight benefit, although I doubt much research has gone into crossflow cam design lately...you could balance everything up perfectly and generally blueprint it...but the real advangages of modern engines are in the basic design of the structure, every little shape optimised for efficiency, and in the management of the engine.
Taking an old engine like a crossflow and running sequential injection with wideband O2 feedback, knock sensors, fully computerised distributorless ignition etc will give by far the biggest jump in performance and efficiency...I have heard of a 302 gaining 12 mpg by going from distributor to mapped ignition and having around 30hp extra as well as smoother running and less pinging if pushed.

I hate Hyundais.

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Maybe the biggest problem is finding a mechanic/s who know these engines and accesories like the back of there hands and where does 1 find them, especially here in brisbane?

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:04 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Falcon Xe

VIC, Australia

theres people floating around adapting the eecIV injection from ea and early (pre smartlock) EB falcons and marrying it to the cross flow, apparently it works very well i doubt very much you would be able to find a mechanic willing to do such a job and probably would cost you a lot more than what the gain will be.

doing away with the air flow meter on the xf is one of the best things out for performance apparently. and the e series set up allows you to do just that

Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:43 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

84xeSpak wrote:
doing away with the air flow meter on the xf is one of the best things out for performance apparently. and the e series set up allows you to do just that

That would be my first performance mod for these engines.

Someone on here, ages ago on FM MK1 replaced the ECU with a Megasquirt and tuned it himself. Managed to make the engine rev better, more power and cut fuel consumption by about 20%

In the end I think he went down the route of getting a Megasquirt MAP and fitted that... p****d off the AFM, and ended up with more power and better fuel consumption... Another 10% or so.

All that for like $400 total.

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:25 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XC UTE

NSW, Australia

I have adapted several ford engines with a holden VN/VP computer and it does away with the MAF meter. It makes a big difference in performance up top but will give very little advantage down low.

If this is done in conjunction with cam and exhaust you will be very happy.

I wouldn't recomend going down this path unless you are handy/keen on rewiring the engine.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]