Fordmods Logo

Extra fuel Tank 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: Extra fuel Tank
Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:39 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 56

Posts: 122

Joined: 11th Jul 2009

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: BF RTV ute

Location: Newcastle
NSW, Australia

Hey anyone ever tried to fit a second regular fuel tank into the XG/XH ute.
Similiar to the second outback long range tank.
I assume there would need to be a fuel pump in there somewhere as I don't think it would gravity feed.
Cheers

 

_________________

A dog, a bike, a Ute
Live beside a creek and now I wish for summer
Miss those tropical winters

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Extra fuel Tank
Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 33

Posts: 6746

Joined: 13th Mar 2006

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: NCII Fairlane

Location: Bathurst
NSW, Australia

Feral wrote:
Hey anyone ever tried to fit a second regular fuel tank into the XG/XH ute.
Similiar to the second outback long range tank.
I assume there would need to be a fuel pump in there somewhere as I don't think it would gravity feed.
Cheers


May I suggest going to your local ARB or TJM dealer etc who knows there might be one on the market... Honestly if you have some decent thickly guaged sheetmetal and use that indentation on the back of the cab (the area under the window) making a water tight box with a secondary pump and some wires I am sure it would be piss easy to do...

Or simply get a race fuel tank and mount it in that general area or remove the spare wheel and relocate that to the ute and put that racetank in the area were the tyre was,.

 

_________________

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Extra fuel Tank
Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:14 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Posts: 78

Joined: 20th Mar 2007

Ride: XC UTE

Location: sydney
NSW, Australia

I have two tanks under the floor in my XC ute. The second tank was from an XD. Welded in another set of mounting brackets and a second filler adaptor on the RHS of my XC tank with an interconnecting 2 1/4 inch tube for filling.

Just used an EA fuel pump and a switch on the dash for the tranfer from R/H to L/H tank. You can hear the pump running dry when it's getting empty. (Would like to set up an automatic switch and gauge someday.)

It takes a little while to get the last 15L in when filling, and is impossible to fill completely if the slope on the ground is wrong but I can drive Newcastle to Brisbane without refueling!

I use the transfer pump to fill my bikes while away riding places. Saves me carrying too many jerry cans. Why? Because I can! It always seems to get a good reaction from the group.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Extra fuel Tank
Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 33

Posts: 6746

Joined: 13th Mar 2006

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: NCII Fairlane

Location: Bathurst
NSW, Australia

XCMUZ wrote:
I have two tanks under the floor in my XC ute. The second tank was from an XD. Welded in another set of mounting brackets and a second filler adaptor on the RHS of my XC tank with an interconnecting 2 1/4 inch tube for filling.

Just used an EA fuel pump and a switch on the dash for the tranfer from R/H to L/H tank. You can hear the pump running dry when it's getting empty. (Would like to set up an automatic switch and gauge someday.)

It takes a little while to get the last 15L in when filling, and is impossible to fill completely if the slope on the ground is wrong but I can drive Newcastle to Brisbane without refueling!

I use the transfer pump to fill my bikes while away riding places. Saves me carrying too many jerry cans. Why? Because I can! It always seems to get a good reaction from the group.


couldn't you hook up something like the lpg and petrol peeps, that when you switch it over the guage reads the other tanks fuel?

Feral wrote:
Hey anyone ever tried to fit a second regular fuel tank into the XG/XH ute.
Similiar to the second outback long range tank.
I assume there would need to be a fuel pump in there somewhere as I don't think it would gravity feed.
Cheers


Ihad a thought you could simply get a commodore ute tank out of a vr vs model and mount it vertically under the window and run a pump and or send er and it should be wees

 

_________________

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Extra fuel Tank
Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:00 am 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Posts: 78

Joined: 20th Mar 2007

Ride: XC UTE

Location: sydney
NSW, Australia

Froudey wrote:

couldn't you hook up something like the lpg and petrol peeps, that when you switch it over the guage reads the other tanks fuel?


That is exactly what I want to do! Just couldn't be bothered at the moment.

Froudey wrote:
Ihad a thought you could simply get a commodore ute tank out of a vr vs model and mount it vertically under the window and run a pump and or send er and it should be wees


You need two separate fillers for the two tanks. This is a PITA if yo ask me.
Seems to be a waste not using that space under the floor, especially when a genuine ford tank fits so nicely.

Does a VS tank actually fit?

You definately need a pump, gravity transfer will still need a valve to stop it from overfilling the original tank. The fuel will just fill the charcoal canister and end up flooding the engine or on the ground. I have tried this route and there is a good reason I went for the under floor tank.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Extra fuel Tank
Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:05 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 33

Posts: 6746

Joined: 13th Mar 2006

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: NCII Fairlane

Location: Bathurst
NSW, Australia

XCMUZ wrote:
Froudey wrote:

couldn't you hook up something like the lpg and petrol peeps, that when you switch it over the guage reads the other tanks fuel?


That is exactly what I want to do! Just couldn't be bothered at the moment.

Froudey wrote:
Ihad a thought you could simply get a commodore ute tank out of a vr vs model and mount it vertically under the window and run a pump and or send er and it should be wees


You need two separate fillers for the two tanks. This is a PITA if yo ask me.
Seems to be a waste not using that space under the floor, especially when a genuine ford tank fits so nicely.

Does a VS tank actually fit?

You definately need a pump, gravity transfer will still need a valve to stop it from overfilling the original tank. The fuel will just fill the charcoal canister and end up flooding the engine or on the ground. I have tried this route and there is a good reason I went for the under floor tank.
well scratch my suggestion :P

 

_________________

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Extra fuel Tank
Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 45

Posts: 863

Joined: 26th Nov 2007

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: XH Ute / AU3 V8 Wagon

Location: Bris-Vegas
QLD, Australia

Feral wrote:
Hey anyone ever tried to fit a second regular fuel tank into the XG/XH ute.
Similiar to the second outback long range tank.
I assume there would need to be a fuel pump in there somewhere as I don't think it would gravity feed.
Cheers


Excuse my ignorance, but couldnt you just fit a complete tank, with pump and sender, in the floor cavity behind the driver, next to the original location? You would need to fit the second filler neck to the car, but at least you wont have to wait for the bowser you need to be free, you can just use either. (Unless you need to fill both tanks at the same time, i suppose that could be a pain).
Regarding the in-tank pump, it could be connected into the cars fuel system, and with a simple switch, you would get fuel from one tank or the other, with it's own pump and fuel level sender. When you switch between tanks, the gauge on the dash would read the level of the tank you are using. I cant see why this wouldnt work, provided the electrics were sorted properly, and a good quality fuel line connector/tap was used. There would be something available thru the 4x4 people, surely.
Any thoughts people? I might even do this to my ute if it's easy enough.
:D

 

_________________

Yes, I own a Ute. No, I won't help you move!

EL Wagon Build Thread http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sooty72-s-ef-futura-wagon-long-term-project-t90025.html
XH Ute Thread http://www.fordmods.com/post1138970.html#p1138970

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Extra fuel Tank
Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:51 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Posts: 78

Joined: 20th Mar 2007

Ride: XC UTE

Location: sydney
NSW, Australia

sooty72 wrote:

Excuse my ignorance, but couldnt you just fit a complete tank, with pump and sender, in the floor cavity behind the driver, next to the original location?


Yep, thats what I done.
sooty72 wrote:
You would need to fit the second filler neck to the car, but at least you wont have to wait for the bowser you need to be free, you can just use either. (Unless you need to fill both tanks at the same time, i suppose that could be a pain).


I used an internal interconnect between tanks for filling, only takes about a minute to get the last 15L in.

sooty72 wrote:
Regarding the in-tank pump, it could be connected into the cars fuel system, and with a simple switch, you would get fuel from one tank or the other, with it's own pump and fuel level sender. When you switch between tanks, the gauge on the dash would read the level of the tank you are using. I cant see why this wouldnt work, provided the electrics were sorted properly, and a good quality fuel line connector/tap was used. There would be something available thru the 4x4 people, surely.
Any thoughts people? I might even do this to my ute if it's easy enough.
:D


We need someone with some electrical know-how to get low level sensor/transfer system to work I reckon. Do you know where you can get a fuel selector valve from?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Extra fuel Tank
Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:51 am 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 56

Posts: 122

Joined: 11th Jul 2009

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: BF RTV ute

Location: Newcastle
NSW, Australia

Hey thanks all.
I will give it some thought. If the electrics are not that complex I should be able to rig it. I have repaired missiles systems, so whats in a ford. More reliable probably. lol
There is an Outback twin fuel system in the paper today. He wants $1200 for it. I dont think I will even bother.
Oh well, wait and see. I really need a RH door first.
Cheers

 

_________________

A dog, a bike, a Ute
Live beside a creek and now I wish for summer
Miss those tropical winters

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Extra fuel Tank
Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:35 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 56

Posts: 122

Joined: 11th Jul 2009

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: BF RTV ute

Location: Newcastle
NSW, Australia

I was just looking at the wiring diagram for my XH. Unfortuneately it doesn't show the Outback but I think the easiest way to run both would be to run a switch between the fuel pump relay power line and simply switch power between the two. I am definately going to look at I just have to get a cheap fuel tank.
Does anyone know if the XF fuel tank and pumps are the same as the XH?
Cheers

 

_________________

A dog, a bike, a Ute
Live beside a creek and now I wish for summer
Miss those tropical winters

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Extra fuel Tank
Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:40 am 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 56

Posts: 122

Joined: 11th Jul 2009

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: BF RTV ute

Location: Newcastle
NSW, Australia

Well after checking out the cavity I am not that sure an original tank will fit. I assume that an XC is different from the XH. The centre bar wont allow a second normal tank in there.
I am off to TJM to have a look.

 

_________________

A dog, a bike, a Ute
Live beside a creek and now I wish for summer
Miss those tropical winters

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Extra fuel Tank
Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:44 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 56

Posts: 122

Joined: 11th Jul 2009

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: BF RTV ute

Location: Newcastle
NSW, Australia

Well an original extra tank wont fit.
TJM said they can provide a 120 ltr tank for $1400
Bit much since I lost my job last week.
That bloke up here still has the twin setup for sale but $1200 is out of the question as well.
OH well
Bull bar next!!! :lol:

 

_________________

A dog, a bike, a Ute
Live beside a creek and now I wish for summer
Miss those tropical winters

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Extra fuel Tank
Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:30 am 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Posts: 82

Joined: 6th Feb 2009

Ride: 2001 AUII XR6 ute

Location: In the shed
QLD, Australia

see if you can do cheaper than TJM, IIRC brown-davis make the only long range tank for falcons that ive seen.....
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Extra fuel Tank
Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:34 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline

Posts: 215

Joined: 13th Apr 2009

Ride: BA 3VM

Location: Lwr Blue Mountains (Sydney)
NSW, Australia

I have an XF ute tank for $75.

Cheers,
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Extra fuel Tank
Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 627

Joined: 5th Dec 2009

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: GREEN ED XR6

Power: 249 rwkw

Location: CENTRAL WEST QLD
QLD, Australia

I had done it to my V8 xf ute main tain was on the pass side and backup wa on drivers side
Was a PITA to set up but was simple to use and was great on long trips (being a 5.8l) 900k to both tanks with a one way valve and filled from original filler hole but had a oneway foot valve at opening of second tank and a pump that pumped it accross to main tank when it was getting low simple design but PITA to setup and install

 

_________________

AU2 engine with Hoppers head/cam performance package & spool rods / CP pistons ,Snort 1200 plenum, T56 Manual & Billet short shifter, Front & Rear Slotted rotors, Pedders lowered suspension, LSD and tuned with EMS stinger 4424 347rwkw THE ED XR6 IS BOOSTED

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:53 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names