Fordmods Logo

First Falcon, few basic questions 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: First Falcon, few basic questions
Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:04 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: XG Longreach

VIC, Australia

Hi. I recently moved back to Australia after living in America for nearly 18 yrs and I just got my first Ute. XG to be specific. I hope im in the correct section. Anyways, I pick it up Saturday, and im going to be painting it matte black. My question is How wide of a tyre can I fit on the front/rear?Do 265's fit? Im having a hard time finding images of these vehicles with various size rims also. Are 19's too large? The last time i purchased rims were for my LT1 powered Pontiac Fiero which was rear wheel drive, but required front wheel drive rims. Anything I need to look out for? I do like a little lip in the rear so any help with links, or images would be greatly appreciated........one more, Ill be putting a V8 in it once I get all the parts I need(I have full access to my uncles automotive shop and his knowledge, he recently put a 4.2 holden V8 in his step sons MK2 Supra).....does anyone know of a car like this with an LS series motor? Thank you.

Post subject: Re: First Falcon, few basic questions
Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

Hi,

Welcome back to Aus. For tyres and wheels, go to a tyre shop and have them fit and check. Most will know what will fit, but it may have dropped spindles or something else that will cause problems. Dont go too wide, it wont help the handling. If you have an LSD and wide tyres on the back, forget about driving in the rain. There should be write up here about a V8 swap, I think you have to reverse the heater to fit it in because they changed the firewall when the V8's were dropped.

A Holden 4.2 is so slow, even as a Boat Anchor they would be slow to sink. To be fair, you use what you have though. A Supra can go very well with a Toyota motor and aftermarket tuning parts. A V8 will need to be engineered, and will be quite a big ( expensive ) job. The weight balance will most likely affect the handling, and not in a good way. My opinion anyway.

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 5 speed XG ute

SA, Australia

peavey72 wrote:
does anyone know of a car like this with an LS series motor?

:shock: If your gonna use an LS motor then go buy a Holden ute! haha.

Yep, I don't know what to write here...

Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

peavey72 wrote:
Hi. I recently moved back to Australia after living in America for nearly 18 yrs and I just got my first Ute. XG to be specific. I hope im in the correct section. Anyways, I pick it up Saturday, and im going to be painting it matte black. My question is How wide of a tyre can I fit on the front/rear?Do 265's fit? Im having a hard time finding images of these vehicles with various size rims also. Are 19's too large? The last time i purchased rims were for my LT1 powered Pontiac Fiero which was rear wheel drive, but required front wheel drive rims. Anything I need to look out for? I do like a little lip in the rear so any help with links, or images would be greatly appreciated........one more, Ill be putting a V8 in it once I get all the parts I need(I have full access to my uncles automotive shop and his knowledge, he recently put a 4.2 holden V8 in his step sons MK2 Supra).....does anyone know of a car like this with an LS series motor? Thank you.

235's are a good allround tyre size....not too big, not too small.....ever driven in the p!ssing down rain with 265's on, and LSD ????.....ain't good....aquaplane city.
Around here, 19" + mags don't last long.....the roads are that bad that they crack.
As for the Tojo.....why not use a 2JZ turbo????.....heaps of them doin 9 sec 1/4 mile passes, and better.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]