Fordmods Logo

Inserting an OHC where it wasn't meant to go 

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:37 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

what is the hold up with the clutch ? why not use an xd/e pedal box and firewall piece. i did this in the xb i had and it worked fine. you may need to use an unleaded xf cable for the later bellhousing though.

vote for pedro ? f**k pedro, f**k him up his stupid a***hole.

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:57 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XC UTE

NSW, Australia

Yeah, what briney said about the pedal box works a treat! Done it a few times with no real hassles.

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

as stated above, the conversion is fairly straight forward, this is one we did, using au 4.0 motor, ea T-5 manual, ea radiator, el fans etc. Used a modified EL auto ecu w/ smartlock bypass, modified EA ecu / engine harness, fuel system is a lift pump, swirl pot and injection pump, and passed the pits fine with a pod on the TB, hidden underneath a shaker.
EA engine mounts, and modified XD gearbox crossmember, XD pedal box with EA cable etc. Stock XD tailshaft

Only real issue we had was boiling the p/s fluid at constant high rpm, I think because the pump is regulated for a rack and pinion, not for the old type steering box, we just looped the return through the trans cooler cct in the radiator as a temp solution. Watch out for this, because theres a breather hole on the p/s pump cap, that is positioned accurately to spray a stream of fluid across the extractors, which at 5700rpm results in a few flames :twisted:

Right click, save as and open with VLC
http://www.pentagoncomputers.com.au/att ... V00021.3GP

Last edited by 66 coupe on Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BF3 Egas wag SY AWD Terry Ghia

VIC, Australia

Get the AU motor.
they are cheap and best for any swapover.

BF3 Egas XT Wagon
SY Territory Ghia AWD 6spA :))

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

quicklier, have you investigated the BA style hydraulic thrust bearing? it might be a usable option

Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:41 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF XR6

VIC, Australia

66 coupe wrote:
quicklier, have you investigated the BA style hydraulic thrust bearing? it might be a usable option

Nah, just grabbed the setup from an XA. I've already got an EA pedal box in there at the moment, all should bolt up fine.

Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:46 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF XR6

VIC, Australia

66 coupe wrote:
as stated above, the conversion is fairly straight forward, this is one we did, using au 4.0 motor, ea T-5 manual, ea radiator, el fans etc. Used a modified EL auto ecu w/ smartlock bypass, modified EA ecu / engine harness, fuel system is a lift pump, swirl pot and injection pump, and passed the pits fine with a pod on the TB, hidden underneath a shaker.
EA engine mounts, and modified XD gearbox crossmember, XD pedal box with EA cable etc. Stock XD tailshaft

Only real issue we had was boiling the p/s fluid at constant high rpm, I think because the pump is regulated for a rack and pinion, not for the old type steering box, we just looped the return through the trans cooler cct in the radiator as a temp solution. Watch out for this, because theres a breather hole on the p/s pump cap, that is positioned accurately to spray a stream of fluid across the extractors, which at 5700rpm results in a few flames :twisted:

I assume you fabricated the radiator mounts, header tank mounts and p/s lines yourself?

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:06 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XC GXL

WA, Australia

Holy moly, you guys desperately want mud under the bonnet... thats alot of effort for a wagon hack, dont you think??? EA 3.9 motors are absolutely horrible you`re better off with an efi crossy, and anything b4 the au isnt much better. An efi crossflow with a few mods will cut your labour in half, and it`ll bolt straight in. I know it isnt as pretty, but theyre indestructible and if you boost em say hello to bout 300 horsies done properly.

XC GXL 5.8: 14.1 @ 99MPH. Thank you to Jimbos alchoholic uncle for the short motor. It goes alright now mate.

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Id rather use the 4.0 than an X-flow. With a cam and extractors you can wind 250hp out of them easy....
a stock 4.0 with a 5sp will easily outperform an x-flow wkith 5sp, a lot more torque and a lot more power, and all in all is quite an easy conversion.
The next project on the cards is a BA 6T into an XE, and get it all to fit under the bonnet.

Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:46 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XC GXL

WA, Australia

I just dont understand the reason.... cosmetics aside, torque is the thing youre chasing isnt it? Four litres are alot quieter, smoother, prettier, but for a conversion the objective needs to be clear.Everybody seems to be chasing heaps of snappy glory hunting engine bay credits. If its an x series falcon and you dont want a V8, why all the stress. As for an AU 6 banger in an XC I think its a waste of a good AU motor. The XC has the dynamics of a true 70`s aussie sedan.It just wont get driven every day, and even less with a lifeless 6 pot like that in it. Might as well have a motor with some character in an XC. Theres no other point. They drive like s**t. I should know. Ive got one.

XC GXL 5.8: 14.1 @ 99MPH. Thank you to Jimbos alchoholic uncle for the short motor. It goes alright now mate.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2