Fordmods Logo

Less expensive power increase for XC Falcon 500 4.1 

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

Umm what?? I have a 351 clevo - my 4.0 is a much better STOCK motor. When you put a motor on straight gas you normally use a different intake anyway.

Whining about my 4L........ yer........

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

400hp is relatively easy from a 351 clevo....thats with stock heads...

these are an awsome motor.....so is 4.0l.....if i could i would put a clevo in an EF instead your stuck with windsor which sucks

Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

gogetta wrote:
400hp is relatively easy from a 351 clevo....thats with stock heads...

these are an awsome motor.....so is 4.0l.....if i could i would put a clevo in an EF instead your stuck with windsor which sucks

What would be nice is a 351W with Clevo heads on it.
Heres some food for thought. Had 200 rwhp.

Attachments:
Natan's XF ute 011_resize.jpg
Natan's XF ute 011_resize.jpg [ 128.47 KiB | Viewed 1705 times ]

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:01 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XC GXL

WA, Australia

Honestly a well prepped Ford V8 of any configuration Cleve or Whinger will just satisfy your old car urges so much more than a mud six banger. Yes the Chryslers are pretty exciting and ive had the pleasure of owning one as well but you wont get the same action from a Ford six in that bodyshell.Just think of Mr T. Theyre just built for V8s. Stick in a V8 or buy a Val. Dont f**k it up with a 4 litre man they belong in another car.

XC GXL 5.8: 14.1 @ 99MPH. Thank you to Jimbos alchoholic uncle for the short motor. It goes alright now mate.

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

Hate to jump in where people are having fun bagging each other, but I just put a near stock 351 clevo in my xb which had a 250 2V, both of which are on lpg. The clevo is fantastic, gobs of power compared to the 6 (as you would expect) but the crazy thing is that it is same or better fuel economy wise unless I drive it like a total nutcase - THEN it uses a bit of fuel....

Bottom line, I got a whole ZH fairlane for $500 (rusty as), pulled out the recond 351 (40,000 kays on it), saved the set of mags off it and a whole bunch of parts etc then sold what was left for $500...so free motor and parts, mags...my point being that you could do something similar with yours at little or even no cost. If you don't like it after a few months, pull it out, sell for a profit, whatever. I used to say 6 in a row could go too , I liked my 250 2V (pre crossflow) cos it was unusual, but there really is no comparison with a decent V8...

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:21 am 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF

NSW, Australia

My first car was a basket case $500 XB 4.1L, all I did was pull the head, give it & the Piston tops a clean, gave it a set of Extractors & a twin 2" exhaust system & that gave it some balls!

Since Ford has now decided to keep the inline 6 in Production I had the thought the other day whether it would be possible to slap a 4.0L head on an old 4.1L anyone got any clues on this mod?
cheers Col

This thread is useless without pics!

hey look, I made Oompa Loompa!

"Oompa Loompa doompadee doo
I've got another puzzle for you
Oompa Loompa doompadah dee
If you are wise you'll listen to meeeee"!

Post subject: Re: Less expensive power increase for XC Falcon 500 4.1
Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:28 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: XC Falcon 500 Sedan: White, 4.1,

QLD, Australia

When I was a young bloke the 351 was my dream engine but now I'm middle aged the six more than enough.

I have a number of options some better than others and some cheaper than others. They are:
1. Keep running the 250 Xflow but have the head rebuilt for ulp then add a 2 barrel carb and manifold and a set of extractors;
2 Find out if an EA CFI system will fit the 250 Xflow and fit a set of extractors:
3 Fit the XG 4.0 MPI (and 4 speed auto) but remove the fuel injection and add a 2 or 4 barrel carb and manifold, new distributor, and a set of extractors; or
4 Fit the XG 4.0 MPI (and 4 speed auto) complete and plus a set of extractors. The problem with this on is the electronics and computer. Would I need a complete wiring harness or only part harness as the engine and gear box management is the only functions of the XG's electrical system I want to use.

More investigation required I think.

:?

MAW

Remember "It dosn't matter how fast it goes, if it's under 3 litres it's a chicks car".

Post subject: Re: Less expensive power increase for XC Falcon 500 4.1
Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:32 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Hello,
Have you thought about fitting a diff out of a ute or wagon? They are usually 3.23:1 which will feel much better than 2.92:1. The XG has the 3.23 which is one of the reasons it would feel a lot quicker. A very easy conversion to do as you can use diffs out of up to XF. Then you can also use EB diff if you want stronger axles and disc brakes. I am a fan of drums in earlier falcons as the discs are rubbish, especially in the handbrake department.
Corey

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2