Fordmods Logo

Might sell EF and buy XF 

Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Might sell EF and buy XF
Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 4:50 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF Falcon - Manual

QLD, Australia

I was thinking of selling my 95 EF and spending the money on a 1987 XF Fairmont Ghia. Would this be a good idea?? There are a few places around to recondition the engine and transmission. What would be some of the drawbacks?It is only a thought at this stage but i like the PHAT muscle machine look of the XF.

Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 4:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Well, main downside i can think of is your gunna loose more money on the XF. E.g, buy EF for 8 grand, sell few years later for 6, buy XF for 2 grand, spend 4 grand reconditioning and what not, sell a few years later for 2 gran.d
But it's only money, so if it's the car you want, go for it!
I want someone to crash into my car and write it off, wanna buy a nice XC with the insurance pay otu!

Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 5:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

[self-deleted]

Last edited by blackjack_original on Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 6:45 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

yeah, i guessed about the resale value being s**t an all. just thought it might be better to have a reconditioned car rather than a new car with heaps of kays.

Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

doc wrote:
yeah, i guessed about the resale value being s**t an all. just thought it might be better to have a reconditioned car rather than a new car with heaps of kays.

The E-series I6's don't mind the k's at all, sure it also deteres from resale. But honestly, the 4.0L's really don't mind high milage.

Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

I've got an 85 GHIA if you want it. All it needs is a reco head, reco gear box, reco power steering box, XF power steering pump (i got one in there of unknown origin and it keeps throwing belts when I rev it). And a few niggly bits and pieces. They are a nice looking car. Theres a few straight mint condiditon ones in the gong and peoples jaws just hit the deck when they see them but they are difinitely not for sale. If your going to spend money on them do it for keeps.

Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

yeah it will alst you for a lot longer than the XF will, and eventually you will have an XF with the same amount of k's ... so what do you do then? Keep your EF in good nick and it will last another decade!!! Then you won't care what it is worth!

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

We had a XF ghia once, we nicknamed it "The Money Pit"

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 10:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

Cons:
1: the EFI engines (some Ghia's came with the carby engine) have problems galore..... vacuum leaks, f**k AFM's, etc, and while they're running fine, they'll use a tank of fuel every 600km or so for highway work, but once the problems start, fuel consumption can skyrocket to as bad as 300km or less to 75L, and the AFM's for XF's are getting pretty sad.... and harder to find in good condition
2: the electric window motors/gearboxes were designed by the devil, the most common being that the plastic gear gets flogged out on the inside due to E-clips breaking/disappearing and allowing the alloy gear that drops into the platic one to 'cam" out, the only way to fix this is by filling in the gap between the plastic gear and the metal one with araldite
3: the velour trim gets very grubby and threadbare with age, and the adjustable drivers side seat base in the ghia's fails, alwing the seat to rock about like crazy
4: the dash gets more rattles over time than a billionaires baby...... something i have yet to manage to fix, especially as broken clips are VERY common
5: the cruise control systems are a bit tempremental, and if the clock/trip computer is removed or faulty, will cease to work at all
6: the suspension leaves a lot to be desired at times, with worn ball joints, front spring saddles and rearsuspension bushes being VERY common
7: the brakes are allright, although the rear discs rattle like crazy if the anti-rattle clips that hold the inner pad in place (as opposed to the ones on the caliper/bracket) are f**k or have been discarded
8: rust behind the rear wheel arches, at the base of the C-pillars, at the top of the rear window, int he bootlid, at the base of the front guards, in the plenum, and in the firewall is VERY common, and is the first thing i look for, regardless of the condition of the rest of the vehicle
9: for some demented reason, ford never offered XF's with a factory fitted V8

Pro's:
1: XF's clean up very well, and provided they're looked after, hold a fair bit of eye appeal
2: parts are available reasonably cheaply
3: V8 swaps are becoming easier as they become more widespread
4: there were a few XF Ghia's fitted with a factory 5 speed manual
5: they're a lot easier to work on than some of the later models
6: the crossflow 6's are a damned tough engine

what it all boils down to in the end is that XF's are becoming a car with 2 purposes in life, that of either a work car that gets treated worse than a stray dog till the day it eventually dies, or they're cherished as someone's pride and joy, lavished with care and attention despite the models shortcomings

you either love them or hate them, and i dont know many ex XF owners who either regret selling thier XF, or wish they could get another one when they see a well kept example

Banned

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 12:50 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

NSW, Australia

ive had both and although the xf is a tough cruiser, the e goes a 1000 times better , handles a million times better and is far more comfy. dont get me wrong, i loved my xf but the ef is the next XF of the future so to speak, and for around 5g nowadays, bui\y one and trash it and you'll love it and it will smoke most stock cars on the road...

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 10:56 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

I've also had both and i'v got too say unless you're willing to spend big bucks on the XF, keep the EF. Much, much better car stock(ish).

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 12:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Fairlane Ghia

WA, Australia

What a backward step, E sreies piss all over the earlier models in every department(stock), if your going to use it as a daily driver, stick to the EF.

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 12:10 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

yeah, seems like ill be sticking with the ef then. Thanks for all the feedback. Thats what i love about this site, people dont hide anything, The cons far outway the pro's. Cheers.

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

The only reason I bought my car was the shape. Toughtest falcon body style I've seen for a long time. Hence I pounced on the first one with a half decent body that came up for sale. The mechanicals are f**k but I intended to replace all of them when I did it up. But now I have a few financial setbacks and I can't afford to keep the car. But if I sell it then the next one i get would probably have a much rougher body then mine. Catch 22.

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 11:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

doc wrote:
yeah, seems like ill be sticking with the ef then. Thanks for all the feedback. Thats what i love about this site, people dont hide anything, The cons far outway the pro's. Cheers.

well your comparing cars that have a 10 year age difference!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next