Fordmods Logo

My XF project car 

Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: My XF project car
Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

I am starting with a 86 XF that was given to me by someone sick of it sitting in their back yard. It has a good EFI engine and near new pedders lowered suspension, but the gearbox is stuffed and water leaks into the cabin. It had been sitting in the weather unused for about a year but it started easily enough with a fresh battery and it managed to limp the ~10km to my house.

Some pics:

As it arrived

Interior is all in good condition

Engine was surprisingly good

After a clean it didnt look bad. Up close the paintwork is a little sad, few dents, bit of rust in all the usual places that will need to be cut out.

I have also picked up a stock ED 4.0 thats going to replace the 250 crossflow.

The plan is to fix up the body, drop the 4.0 in with a megasquirt 2 ecu and get it up and running. I have a collection of performance parts that will then find its way into the engine bay :) (not giving too much away just yet though).

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

The water in cabin problem was painfully obvious when I washed the car. I had been told it was water coming through the vent, and when I took the cowl cover off I could see the problem.

First stage in the repair - dash out

Well there’s the problem. The vent on the right hand side of the steering column was rusted out. Luckily the damage is limited to the vent which isn’t needed (the vent on the other side feeds the AC system and will do just find on its own).

Removed the pedal box, accelerator pedal, boot release, etc, etc and cut the rust out.

Made a cardboard template and traced it onto some galv sheet metal. Cut the patch and welded it in

With the cowl cover in front of the windshield removed you can see the repair. I will seal the join and paint a rust protective coat over the area

Treated and primed, no more leaks.

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BA XR6 Ute

QLD, Australia

The Kid I grew up with has almost finished his project, heres a link to his beauty

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/561834/1

Ive posted this before, But shes sweet,

nascentes morimur

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: XHII pano, Landau

VIC, Australia

Awsome repair job ;). Cant wait to see what you tackle next. When do u plan on having it back on the road?

Automatics only come in assult riffles
---------------------------------------
www.aussiecoupes.net

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:29 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

how much did the 4.0l ed block set ya back and how big a job is it to wire up to the xf dash

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

dvyvan wrote:
Awsome repair job ;). Cant wait to see what you tackle next. When do u plan on having it back on the road?

Thanks mate. I was happy it turned out 1/2 decent because its a bugger of an area to cut/grind/weld in. Not sure when it will be back on the road. I dont have a timeline for it, im just going to try to put a few hours into it here and there and see what happens.

darmo wrote:
how much did the 4.0l ed block set ya back and how big a job is it to wire up to the xf dash

ED engine was $200 complete (engine, accessories, looms, ecu, had an XR6 cam as well). Was removed from a mates car for a V8 conversion so I know its a good runner for now.

I havent looked into it just yet but I I see no problems with wiring to the XF dash. I will find out soon enough anyway I guess :)

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:00 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

stockstandard wrote:
I was happy it turned out 1/2 decent because its a bugger of an area to cut/grind/weld in. Not sure when it will be back on the road. I dont have a timeline for it, im just going to try to put a few hours into it here and there and see what happens.
I havent looked into it just yet but I I see no problems with wiring to the XF dash. I will find out soon enough anyway I guess :)
Certainly agree with the other guys, excellent repair considering where it is (How's your neck ??)
Possibly the only issue with the cluster I can see is whether the senders match up, but I suppose you could always use XF oil, temp, etc in the ED motor.
Have you decided what transmission you're running with ??

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

neck hurts, back hurts, arms hurt...

The XF sensors are the same as e-series as far as I know. I dont think i will be putting the xf instruments I have back in (no tacho). I have a spare EF cluster here and it looks like it will go in with a few custom brackets and a bit of plastic shaven off. If that doesnt work, ill find something else.

As for gearboxes, the plan is to fit a C4 or toploader. For now though I just want to get it up and running and the easiest way to do that is with a EA 3 speed box but I am having trouble finding one at a realistic price.

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:04 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

stockstandard wrote:
neck hurts, back hurts, arms hurt...
Yep, been there, done that . . :P
stockstandard wrote:
The XF sensors are the same as e-series as far as I know. I dont think i will be putting the xf instruments I have back in (no tacho). I have a spare EF cluster here and it looks like it will go in with a few custom brackets and a bit of plastic shaven off. If that doesnt work, ill find something else.
I wouldn't think there's a huge diff between the XF & XH dashes - I'll need to pull my cluster out of the XH shortly, so if I remember, I'll take a pic of the bracket. I do have EF & XH ford manuals, so if you need info, hit us a PM, otherwise, if you have an EF manual, most of the info can be drawn from it, or as you know, the instrument cluster doco.
stockstandard wrote:
As for gearboxes, the plan is to fit a C4 or toploader. For now though I just want to get it up and running and the easiest way to do that is with a EA 3 speed box but I am having trouble finding one at a realistic price.
Yeah, I remember you saying that the tunnel needs modding to fit a BTR box, so the less cutting and welding, the better.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:08 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: '66 XR and "83 XE

WA, Australia

Nice work with that rust repair.

One quick question, what did u use to cut the rust out? That must have been a cramped fidely area to work on, how did u manage to disect that rust so cleanely, i doubt u used an angle grinder under there, so how did u do it?

WTH???

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I did a bit with a grinder, but most with a nibbler. Bit of stuffing around but when you get the angles right its easy.

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:46 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: XF Wagon

VIC, Australia

G'day

Looks good mate. That repair came up mint.

Cheers

If its too loud your too old!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 1999 AU futura

NSW, Australia

Nice XF.Cant wait to see it all finished should be a sweet toy.Please some more pics when you get further into the rebuild.Thanks

COMING SOON,XD WITH A TURBO...CLEVO STYLE

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EF Falcon

VIC, Australia

yeah your living my dream i have a xf that i want to do up but no money

EFBIGNIK 145.9 RWKW Falcon / 16.27 @ 86.72mph (Stock)
http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h38/e ... urnout.flv

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:16 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: '66 XR and "83 XE

WA, Australia

stockstandard wrote:
I did a bit with a grinder, but most with a nibbler. Bit of stuffing around but when you get the angles right its easy.

u use a nibbler that fits on ure drill, or a manual hand one...???

i've been after a nibbler, could you recommend a brand or type?

Sorry if i'm a bit off topic here, but u've done such a clean job there, i jst need to know how!!!???

WTH???

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 4  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next