Fordmods Logo

re L300 front end 

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: L300 f/end
Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:23 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

Hi guys,I,m still around.I havnt done much at all for 4 mths,moved car into the bigger shed today to get going again.
Whe.n the good weather is here ,I play golf,work on the can in colder mths
dirt-ute 6,I only notched the top lip a little,not the actual subframe.
As a matter of interest,why do you want to "NARROW" front rails,usually people want to make them wider.But in answer to you question,yes,there would be a lot of work,but can be done with a little bit of thought.
Other way to modify front is to make full length chassis.
No further pics as yet,getting ready to instal air ram to tilt front,and yes ,it will be completly removable,via a purpose built trolley

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:36 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: older the better

WA, Australia

I don't want to narrow the rails, just the L300 unit I'm putting in. There is a 48mm difference in the wheel track. The L300 is wider. I was starting to research which rack and pinion units have a suitable centre to centre ball joint or pivot points (dunno what they are really called) to stop the imminent bump steer problems that I would be building in, but now it seems a bit more practical to stay with the factory setup and shorten the actual drag link. Hmmmmm, need to sit on the fuel tin and scratch the head a bit more maybe.....[/quote]

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to drive a Ford and all the Holden drivers can smell like fish instead.

Post subject: re L300
Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:56 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

DIRT_UTE_6 wrote:
I don't want to narrow the rails, just the L300 unit I'm putting in. There is a 48mm difference in the wheel track. The L300 is wider. I was starting to research which rack and pinion units have a suitable centre to centre ball joint or pivot points (dunno what they are really called) to stop the imminent bump steer problems that I would be building in, but now it seems a bit more practical to stay with the factory setup and shorten the actual drag link. Hmmmmm, need to sit on the fuel tin and scratch the head a bit more maybe.....
[/quote]

Dwhy dont you int ute,the f/end fits in great,most definetly no need to narrow,the wheels actually dont look out of place the whole set up looks great.I also have centura diff and it to is a tad wider but looks great and fitted straight in.

Why dont you sit f/end in first and take a bit of time to study it,as for the r+p steering,I reversed the stubs and with a small couple of mods it will adapt to original steering

Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:04 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

How's this build going?

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:54 am 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Hi Draxx,
The build has slowed almost to a stop, I have managed to accumulate most of the bits needed. The L300 front has come along pretty well, I discovered that I don't need to narrow it because I bought Castlemaine rod shop 2" HQ dropped spindles, fitted a VL rack and got hold of some Leyland P76 disc brake rotors. The rotors with adaptors will bring the wheelbase in 20mm each side which is close enough to keep the powers that be happy. I think I mentioned earlier that I have a MacDonald Brothers triangulated four link for the back which I will hook to an F100 nine inch housing with EB discs etc. I've got the bits, just haven't got the time!!! There'll be plenty of pictures when I get serious, meanwhile she's still on the road, so I can take it to the nostalgia drags soon and (only) look the part for now.
Cheers

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to drive a Ford and all the Holden drivers can smell like fish instead.

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:24 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

when you put the L300 front end in how much ground clearence are you left with? what i mean is how far off the ground is the cross member off the ground? I was wondering myself wether to go this way or go a strut front end from the states? cheers phil

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:13 am 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Hmmm, interesting question.... Because I haven't done it yet the best I can say is two inches lower (with the lowered stubs from CRS) than a standard L300 van (80 -86 models). I think Brownman mentioned something earlier in one of his posts about how high his will sit. The reason I went for the L300 is:
(a) because I can completely lose the spring towers and make room for some decent pipes/motor.
(b) bloody cheap, $300 will get you a whole van that you can then wreck for some cash back,
(c)I'm a grumpy old hotrodder that has trouble coping when I don't build or modify something myself.

Does the front end that you have in mind give you alot of extra room? or does it just do the "scallop out the spring towers" thing.

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:42 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

the set up i was looking comes new inner gaurds,upper an lower control arms struts an stub axle"s an two bits of 1an 3/4 pipe.. Just by reading an looking at there picturesyou loose about 3/4 of the origanal shock towers, one of the pipe bolts up to your firewall an the other bolts down to the chassis rail, but the price is expensive its around $5000 an the worse thing is that they dont use a strut you can get easly here, would be good to get some detailed photo"s so i could make it up my self
useing more common parts you could get easly an cheaper

Post subject: Re: re L300 front end
Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:00 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 46 Dodge ute /Was ford Owner

QLD, Australia

Re L300 I have found that you can use L200 front end spindles same as L300 but have steering arms to rear to be able to maybe use exsiting steering or use a Mazada 626 steering rack( not sure which model) Also most 2 bolt disc calipers will bolt on, I am using Valiant as I have valiant rear brakes (Will fit nearly any size chrysler wheel cyclinders to balance braking ) on ford diff as I already have set up Valiant Brake master for the disc front end I had on I Beam . Track is wheel centre to centre, just use later ford wheels with more inset to regain track for wider front end same rear .
I have been told you can fit bigger Magna disc to hub but not sure how to refit calipers for larger dia Disc.

Would like to see more of the project photos!

Had fords and now moved on to old DODGE`s

Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:02 pm 
Stock as a Rock

TAS, Australia

Also the L300 hubs with the 5 stud Ford bolt pattern will go straight onto the L200 spindles.
My mate who has had 4 L200s in the last couple of years has done that to all of them except the 4x4 one he had for a while.

Dropped spindles are also available for L200s, not sure where from but I can ask him. They are listed as "D-50" spindles as the L200 was sold in the US as a Dodge D-50.

I hate Hyundais.

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:55 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: xp falcn ute

WA, Australia

hi DIRT_UTE_6 ,
where did you get your L300 front end from ?
cheers

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:12 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

I got three, give the mobile a ring if you want one or pop round for a look. I think they breed if you leave them in a dark spot unattended!

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:28 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: xp falcn ute

WA, Australia

DIRT_UTE_6 wrote:
I got three, give the mobile a ring if you want one or pop round for a look. I think they breed if you leave them in a dark spot unattended!

pm sent , but still in outbox ??
ill give ya ring over the w/end 8-)

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:06 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: XL Falcon Ute

WA, Australia

don't know if any-one still reading this but you can swap spindles(L300)left to right which will then put steering towards back. From here i think it will bolt up to Falc gear

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2