Fordmods Logo

Rough Idle Ticking sound near coil? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Rough Idle Ticking sound near coil?
Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:28 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA II XR6 Turbo Ute & XH Ute

Power: 295 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Hi Guys,

Just got my XH on the road and noticing that at idle its running at about 600rpm in gear, and is a little bit rough.. ive just done plugs leads dizzy cap and rotor button and it hasnt changed much, also pulled the injectors off 1 by 1 and they are all fine. There is a loud ticking noise coming from around the coil area as far as I can tell. Not an Exhaust leak sort of tick.. more like a spark jumping ive had a look round there but cant see anything.. any1 had a simlar problem or have any ideas what I should be looking for? i would have thought if i was the coil it would be running alot worse than it is..

Cheers

~Such Is Life....
EL Fairmont Ghia: lowered suspension , TIKFD custom plates, 20x8.5 XHP Shoreline, soon to have: JVC head unit, Eclipse speakers, Alpine and Sony Amps, 2x JL Audio 12w3v2 subs

Post subject: Re: Rough Idle Ticking sound near coil?
Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:27 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: FORD FE LTD TURBO/ XE TURBO

NSW, Australia

TickfordGhia wrote:
Hi Guys,

Just got my XH on the road and noticing that at idle its running at about 600rpm in gear, and is a little bit rough.. ive just done plugs leads dizzy cap and rotor button and it hasnt changed much, also pulled the injectors off 1 by 1 and they are all fine. There is a loud ticking noise coming from around the coil area as far as I can tell. Not an Exhaust leak sort of tick.. more like a spark jumping ive had a look round there but cant see anything.. any1 had a simlar problem or have any ideas what I should be looking for? i would have thought if i was the coil it would be running alot worse than it is..

Cheers

Make sure the lead to and from the coil from dizzy is tight. turn car off and press it down well. If it is tight, get a spare lead and try replacing it to see if it sorts the issue. If not, Grab a new coil as they aren't happy buggers living down there and often go.

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:56 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ed falcon raptor

WA, Australia

had a very similar problem, my car ran alot worse but had the same ticking sound. replaced what u did and ended up being the coil

hope this helps

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Had this issue on old Laser with dizzy ---- Lift the bonnet and fire the car up at NIGHT TIME with no lights nearby.

:P

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]