Fordmods Logo

Single rail gearbox quiz 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Single rail gearbox quiz
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:35 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Does anyone know if there is a difference between 6 and V8 singlerails. Can you use a 6 cyl gearbox behind a V8 clevo with the V8 bellhousing and clutch etc?? Are input shafts different lengths and/or splines??

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:13 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: 410 Cube FE LTD

ACT, Australia

im am pretty sure they are all the same, as i had an 6 cyl EFI XE that i converted to V8 Auto with a C4 and when i sourced a bellhousing i put my original 6 cylinder gearbox back on it i didnt have to change tailshafts at all, as my original fitted all, my single rail copped a bit and it still changes smoothly and has no noises, they are a good box, but people s**t on them too much, yeah they are not as good as a toploader, but they are not that bad!
so i am pretty sure they are all the same!!

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:30 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

Hi, I've been told in the past that there is a difference in the single rails.
This is what I've found out so far.
The Borg Warner T5 series g/box is suposed to be stronger internaly with extra bearing supports and so forth. The XXX-XXX-507 series is a very similer g/box but was not designed for the torque of the more modern engine.

With this info the T5 should handle additional power except in 5th gear which is located in the extention housing.

Squirt

Knower of ALL......Master of NOTHING !!!

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:35 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

What kind of power and torque do you think the single rails can handle up to?

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

SA, Australia

The single rail can obviously handle a decent amount of power. All the late XB GTs had em (cept the Auto ones of course).

I had a single rail in my old coupe that I treated like s**t (only a 250 then a 302 though) and it never gave me any trouble. Diffs are a different story. I have a single rail now that I am considering putting in my new Coupe with the 351. I have no doubt it will outlast the motor.

Adrian
EF Fairmont, 5.0Lt, Pacemaker Headers, Sports cats, Redback muff, T5 manual, 16" Tickford rims, Tickford "Body Styling", DBA Gold Rotors, Heritage Green, JVC MP3
XB Coupe, 351C, twin system, C4 shift kitted auto, 9" LSD, Eccose Blue, very loud !!!!

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:06 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

i've got a single rail that came with my XD 351 when i bought it. It was originally in the car, but the guy had replaced it with an auto as he said it had been making some noise in 3rd and 4th. Any idea of a rough reco cost as i'm thinking of putting it into my XB.

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:16 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

The one I am asking about is only a 4 speed from an XE ute with a 250 in it. I have scabbed up an old 302c for a couple of hundred bucks and have already got a 302c bell housing and clutch left over from my 4X. Does anyone know for sure if it will mate up to the clevo in respect to the input shaft?? Are all single rail 4 spds the same, or are there designated 6 and V8 ones?? I know the same box used in valiants uses a different shaft, so they can't be mixed with ford singlerail boxes, but they have different shafts for 6's and 8's, wondering if ford boxes do the same??

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

The single rails arent that tough. I used to replace clutches and single rails at the same time, about 8 months of use each. That was my old 6 (mind you - it wasnt exactly stock).

Ford stopped putting toploaders in V8s around XC, except for the 5.8's. Then even those got some. They do last if your just driving normally. I dont know anyone here that "just drives normally" - or at least by my dads definition.

The V8 Single rail had (I think) a slightly shorter input shaft. There was also talk of bigger bearings in the box and a few other mechanical differences.

Other things to watch out for are that Cortinas had them as well - with a different shifter housing which is quite simple to change over.

I cant remember 100% for sure but I think there was a Sigma version of the single rail as well which was useless. That might be the 5 speed though as well.

Nigel

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

the early XF 5 speeds used a sigma box

Banned

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Interceptor wrote:
the early XF 5 speeds used a sigma box

is that the box that reverse is up beside first?
if so that box is hopeless.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Futura

SA, Australia

My XY has a 351c in it with a mild cam, etc etc..

The previous owner who put the engine in, put a single rail behind it, followed up by a BW 78 series diff. There was a twin plate clutch in there too.

The only thing that gave me grief was the clutch, it turned into a 6 plate clutch (each plate broke into 3's) The car was driven hard, as any rev head P plater would do with a 351.

5 Speed EL Futura
Stock as a rock*
A1 Oils - Synthetic lubricants: www.a1oils.com.au
* A rock that has been Alted

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:43 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Fairmont Ghia

ACT, Australia

the six and 302 singlerails are the same. the only difference between the 302/6 version and the 351 version is the ratios. have had a 6 version behind a 351 and lived a long life.

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Wish I had the specs close by me, all Falcon single rails basically the same as said before except for ratios.

There is at least three ratios to choose from, this changes first gear strength, 5.8L in XD/XE 2.4:1 first gear (100km+ first gear), 4.9L uses something around 2.93:1 and 4.L uses something like 3.23:1.

They all suck compared to a Toploader if you flog the box, syncros can not keep up for a start but if you respect the box it should be able to last, just look how long EBXR8380 kept a T5 behind his 5.0L TT.

"raiki" if you had a genuine XB GT fitted with a single rail it wasn't factory fitted, just didn't happen.

XB GT lovers go here http://xbgt.info/index.html I wish I could afford to get another one, it would cost me a fortune because I want a perfect one.

I had a XB GT fitted with a close ratio toploader, 3:1 9" and 16:1 steering box, except "maybe" for the 9" ratio (more likely 2.75 from factory), the close ratio wasn't a factory fit (close ratio was never an option), it had come out with an auto and it was originally fitted with power steer.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:30 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Cheers for the info, muchly appreciated. Shall stick it in with the crusty old clevo and hope for the best.

Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 6:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

Hi guys, hugely interested in this thread... I have a single rail in my XB behind a 6 - so, with v8 bellhousing and clutch i can keep this box!! excellent!! Is there anything else to keep in mind, or is it totally JUST clutch and bellhousing....?

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next