Ute Cabin 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Ute Cabin
Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:37 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: XH XR6

NSW, Australia

is it ok to cut holes in the back wall of a xh ute cabin for speakers.... has anyone done this or have a better way around it.. cheers

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:46 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: XF

WA, Australia

That would depend on how you define "OK".

It can be done without causing leaks and the speakers will work, but it is a structural part of the vehicle so it would be an illegal and possibly unsafe modification.

I have seen a ute that had the panel cut out and extended back, it was engineered and all legit. I guess it depends how much money you want to spend and whether or not you want to weaken the vehicle.

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:11 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: XR6

NSW, Australia

With my ute a just cut to size abit of timber across the top where the shelf is and put the speakers in that if you get me but you will lose the shelf tho

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:13 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

wouldn't you loose window space though. i hate xg's and h's for speaker placement. i thought that cutting the back wall would compromise the structual integrity of the body. is there aywhere else i could mount a set of 6x9's i'm just lost on where to put them.... there is just no room behind the seats. i stand at 6'1" and cant loose any leg room to a box behind the seat. the standard stereo just doesn't cut it and i dont want to modify the current kick pannels. this is a common problem for a few other people i know that have these utes.... we need to sort something out......

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:41 am 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

I can take a pic of how I have done mine but wont be till next week as I havent got my ute at moment then you can decide what you wanna do

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:28 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 50 images

Ride: MYSTERY EL's & Maverick LWB

Power: 198 rwkw

NSW, Australia

put the 6x9's in the front doors with spacers to suit glass clearance

Chance Favors The Prepared Mind !
For Sale : EL Fairmont 4L 5spd offers, AU Fairlane Ghia 4L vct Stock no mods $3.5k ono

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

SA, Australia

Down the bottom. Infront of the fuel tank. That is where I had 6x9's in my XH panny.

Member Number 8804

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:49 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

In the section MadMatt is on bout I used to have a sub there

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:48 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

did you box over the back where the speaker came into the fuel tank compartment... or space them out from the wall so you didn't have to cut holes...

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

SA, Australia

cut

Member Number 8804

Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: XH Ute / AU3 V8 Wagon

QLD, Australia

I have done the cab extension on my XH ute. I am 6' tall, and a large guy, so I need the head & gut room. Made a HUGE difference, much more comfortable to drive. The mod is very easy to do, mine was done in a day. You lose a small amount of ute space, as the rear panel in now flush, not recessed forward as standard. The big advantage is the interior gain. The rear panel now runs vertical from the base of the rear window to the ute floor, then there is a step around the tank, etc. The seats can now lay back a LOT more, slide back a bit more, and there is storage space behind the seats for helmet/coats/sports bag/wifes handbag, etc. I fitted a 6" round speaker (came with the mp3 player) in spacers to the rear pillar, behind the seats, facing across the car. A 6x9 would fit, but it would have to be turned 90 deg (long ways up-down) to fit. An amp could be mounted behind the seats in the new luggage area if you need more doof-doof power. I can take some pics if you need more info. :D

Yes, I own a Ute. No, I won't help you move!

EL Wagon Build Thread http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sooty72-s-ef-futura-wagon-long-term-project-t90025.html
XH Ute Thread http://www.fordmods.com/post1138970.html#p1138970

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:30 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Theres a bloke called the dog and he has a brilliant set up in his xh. theres photo's of it around in one of the xh photos threads.

If it's got tits or wheels, it'll give you hell!!!.....

Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: XR8 Ute

WA, Australia

with my xh ute , all i did was have my 6 by 9s sitting on the shelf, its a f**k pain and i would really like to sort it out,

i just fitting my 12 inch sub in there as well, kicks a** :D

could i see those pictures of that cab extenison?

cheers :)

XR8 UTE: Low && Loud

Holdens were never designed to turn, brake or accelerate... as long as you can slam in subwoofers and dump it on rims 60% of australias 17-25 yo population are happy

Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: FG XR8, F6 F6 ute, XR5T, Capri

WA, Australia

sooty72 wrote:
I have done the cab extension on my XH ute. I am 6' tall, and a large guy, so I need the head & gut room. Made a HUGE difference, much more comfortable to drive. The mod is very easy to do, mine was done in a day. You lose a small amount of ute space, as the rear panel in now flush, not recessed forward as standard. The big advantage is the interior gain. The rear panel now runs vertical from the base of the rear window to the ute floor, then there is a step around the tank, etc. The seats can now lay back a LOT more, slide back a bit more, and there is storage space behind the seats for helmet/coats/sports bag/wifes handbag, etc. I fitted a 6" round speaker (came with the mp3 player) in spacers to the rear pillar, behind the seats, facing across the car. A 6x9 would fit, but it would have to be turned 90 deg (long ways up-down) to fit. An amp could be mounted behind the seats in the new luggage area if you need more doof-doof power. I can take some pics if you need more info. :D

yeh thats what im doing to my XG ... got a place that does the 4WD cabin conversions doing it.... so its going to be all engineered and LEGAL :D

Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:07 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: XH and a landcruiser

SA, Australia

you dont need 6x9s in a ute just get some good 6" splits and make some custom door pods, that and a sub behind the drivers seat in that space under the tray and that is enough sound for a small cab

i will get some pics of mine up soon

if i had all the money i have spent on cars i would spend it all on cars

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next