Fordmods Logo

xa GT coupe 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: xa GT coupe
Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:23 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 1983 F350 truck

VIC, Australia

hi dose anyone no wat an XA GT COUPE would be worth its got alot of rust but fixable but the roof is smashed in but it has a genuine 351 clevo 4speed manual an 9"diff an intirior is still in it i just want to no wat it would be worth to sell cheers let me no if all tags are still on it aswell

Post subject: Re: xa GT coupe
Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Territory SX TX

QLD, Australia

Ok, help me out here, you want to buy an XA GT coupe. It has some rust (im guessing in the plenum in front of the screen, the footwells, sills, rear screen, boot surround and around the tail lights cos thats where they all rust). It has a bent in roof and some other panel damage maybe? If its a matching numbers car, has all the GT bits including tags, and is otherwise genuine... depending on the rust and damage id say 5 to maybe 10 grand. (I sold my XA 500 2 door shell as a roller for 2 grand with a bunch of parts if that gives an indication) Assuming its legit, roof is repairable and the rust isnt severe. The roof wont be just a pop it out and she'll be right job, if its bent and stretched it will be a major munch in the rectum to fix, probably a cut and replace job. If the rust is mega, then its not worth touching as you will be pushing s**t up hill getting it fixed, either in cost by having it done by someone in the trade, or in getting the job done yourself to a standard that will not remove value from the finished car. Ie, spend hundreds of hours repairing rust to a not so brilliant standard, then come resale and the prospective buyer chews you down in price.
From experience, the window trims around the windscreens and sides will cost big dollars if not there. They are different to the sedan as they have a shorter screen. There are two different dogleg trims at the back window, one for vinyl roofs and one for painted ones (simplified). The grille on a GT is about 900 retail (probably exchange now) The honeycombe trims on the rear are around 300 bucks. Its not just the money in buying it, its what its going to cost fixing it.
Not trying to be mean, but this one might be better left to someone older with some skills to ressurrect if there is a chance to do it as someone at your age, unless they are willing to do the job justice, will and I mean WILL f**k it up.
Not trying to turn you away from the car, but this one sounds like it needs professional help if its going to be coming back to life. At the very best, Id say buy it, lock it away in a shed for 10 years and buy some old dungers to learn on. There arent many of these old girls about anymore, each one is worth saving. If you want to do it bad, then buy it and put it away until you really can do it.
Good luck.

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:49 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

i can get it for FREE of an old f@rt i no whos getting on in his years im nearlly a qualified mechanic so i no a bit my dads a welder by trade an iv done a bit of panel work an rust removel on an xf i had... an i was trying to find out if would be worth a good dollar to sell being a gen gt xa coupe.... cheers for the reply mate

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:53 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: EF SERIES 2 XR6

NSW, Australia

dazza027 wrote:
There are two different dogleg trims at the back window, one for vinyl roofs and one for painted ones

dont wana highjack this thread, dazz when i get of my p's im gona buy my mum's 2 door xb fairmont, 351 4 speed 9 inch with 81000 original k's on the clock, the car is in excelent condition with no rust but it has a discusting black vynel roof on it wich i will be taking of asap, but im guesing now that i will need to scource new trim for the back window?? or can it still be left on??

96 EF XR6 Factory 5 sp, currently in the middle of building a new motor
75 XB hardtop, factory 351-4speed 9 inch 81000 genuine km's

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

If you mean the trim around the rear windscreen, it stays in place as far as I know. If you mean the trims on the rear pillar that goes across from the tip of the side window mould to the edge of the screen that covers the seam of the vinyl where it meets the paint then they come off ok, however there are holes underneath that need to be welded or lead wiped shut. You do know that Ford only stuck vinyl tops on those cars to hide the defects in the joins etc that would otherwise have been visible with paint...

777, if I were you, I'd still be putting it away a few years, build up the collection of parts that you need, finish youre apprenticeship and still learn on the old dungers. Be a shame to see it not finished, for sale for SFA as an unfinished project. Does it need a new roof or is the old one salvageable. Some pics would be cool.

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:15 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: EF SERIES 2 XR6

NSW, Australia

ah thats good i though i may need to change the chrome on the rear window, im asuming these defects are repairable? lol coz i really dont like the vynel top

96 EF XR6 Factory 5 sp, currently in the middle of building a new motor
75 XB hardtop, factory 351-4speed 9 inch 81000 genuine km's

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread ... 994&page=3 found this on another forum, anyone else heard about this?? ie remanufactured xa-xc coupe shells, xr-xy shells...this is awesome news if you want a 2011 xy falcon ph3 ho...

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

EF, the only way your going to know is by peeling the vinyl off and looking. Usually its warped or the lead wiping was done bad, instead of stopping the line they just vinyled the roofs and called them special editions ie Continentals.

Last edited by dazza027 on Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:22 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

dont have any pics an the roofs gone small tree fell on it.. it would be a cut an replace job bummer

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

If its free, and is matching numbers, grab it and put it away in a shed. You might run into a good roof on a rusty body somewhere else.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]