Fordmods Logo

XB Falcon V8 conversion 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: XB Falcon V8 conversion
Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:55 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA Fairmont

WA, Australia

I've got an unlicenced XB Falcon that was left to me by my grandfather in his will. He was a passionate Ford man like me, and the car has a lot of sentimental value to the family.

Its a 250, column auto and is in excellent condition, and I'm considering a V8 conversion. Apart from the obvious upgrades - motor, gearbox, tailshaft, diff, radiator... can anyone assist me with any other mods I'll need to do to get it licenced in Perth, including emmission control (it's a March 1976 car which I think had some of that gear on it), and steering/suspension. It doesn't have power steering.

My ideal car will be a 351C, C4, 9" that I could maybe have some fun with at the street drag meetings.

Post subject: Re: XB Falcon V8 conversion
Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: XH Ute / AU3 V8 Wagon

QLD, Australia

Mate, the best advice I can give is to look around for a complete V8 Falcon or Fairmont, XA to XE, or a Fairlane, from ZF to ZK. That will give you all of the running gear, as well as power steering, rear discs (maybe) and all the other little bits you will need.
Find a rough or rusty one, and even if you have to reco the motor, your still in front.
Good luck. 8-)

Yes, I own a Ute. No, I won't help you move!

EL Wagon Build Thread http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sooty72-s-ef-futura-wagon-long-term-project-t90025.html
XH Ute Thread http://www.fordmods.com/post1138970.html#p1138970

Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:39 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA Fairmont

WA, Australia

Thanks for the feedback. The donor car seems like the way to go, if its cheap enough. The drivetrain will need to be rebuilt, but at least I'll get all the other bits and pieces. Apart from maybe the diff, can I assume XB 302 and 351 donor cars are basically the same?

I'm looking for a fairly docile street cruiser that could still run 11's. Can anyone recommend engine builders in Perth to talk to about the motor/drivetrain?

Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

yep, donor car's the way to go - I picked up a ZH Fairlane for 500 -then realised it had a recond 351 (guy selling it thought it was a 302) - the other bonus was, the recond motor was actually a 1971 build! I adapted my 4 speed to it, sold the fairlane for 500, sold my old 6 for 450...did the whole thing myself, just take your time, it should all pretty well bolt up - plus if you buy a whole car you get everything else, like mounts, radiator, etc etc plus any extras the car might have - mags, diff, interior stuff, you name it...

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]