xc falcon regulators 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: xc falcon regulators
Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:01 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: xc falcon sedan

VIC, Australia

My falcons alternator has an internal regulator but the previous one had an external (silver box in front left of engine bay). If i unplug the wires in the silver one, will that cause problems? Can I remove those wires and silver box permanently? Cheers!

Post subject: Re: xc falcon regulators
Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:39 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford XC, XB

NSW, Australia

I assume you've got a replacement new Bosch replacement unit?. Yeah, just unplug the two connections from the old regulator, tape them up and poke them somewhere tidy and out of the way. In the past I also bought a replacement Alt. with built in regulator for one of my XC's and I ended up removing it and going back to the original setup- it didnt seem to put out the required charge ie headlights wld dim at idle, Alt warning would glow with heater on etc. Also from memory it had no 7v tap for v8 auto choke. With the new unit I THINK (I maybe wrong) there is 1 connection at alt. end which you will no longer use,there's nowhere for it to go, anyway with new alt. Usually problems with the original voltage reg can be traced to incorrect gap settings.

Post subject: Re: xc falcon regulators
Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:36 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: xc falcon sedan

VIC, Australia

Thanks mate, it's all sorted now. Unplugged and still charging. I have the same sort of problem with this alt, when I have lights on and indicate the alt light will flash with it too. Happened with the last xc I had too. Sometimes you can hear the indicators get slower too. Not too sure what that would be. Never had any real trouble though.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]