Fordmods Logo

xc panelvan engine transplant 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: xc panelvan engine transplant
Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:17 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

hey i was wonderin what troubles would i face if i tryed to put a turboed ba xr8 motor and box in a xc panelvan also is this converson possible with or without turbo.. thx for help

Post subject: Re: xc panelvan engine transplant
Posted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

BA motors are wiiide compared to windsors or clevelands... if you want a relatively bolt up type swap you'd be better looking at a cleveland..but if you do want to go BA, your first major problem will be the shock/spring towers - they pretty well have to go.. and to do that, you'll be looking at some pretty substantial front suspension changes such as those from RRS - hope you've got a deep wallet if you want to go this way... mind you, if you DO go ahead with this you'd end up with a nice powerful car with excellent handling and steering (RRS uses a rack and pinion setup)

But again, if you want cheap and easy, just buy a donor car with a cleveland and use everything out of that. Thats what I did, actually ended up making a cash profit out of it, did all the work myself in the driveway, and everything bolted up - only cutting I had to do was open up the radiator panel a bit as the crossflow rad was wider...let me know if you want any advice on going this way..

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Sat May 01, 2010 2:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

BA motors are wiiide compared to windsors or clevelands... if you want a relatively bolt up type swap you'd be better looking at a cleveland..but if you do want to go BA, your first major problem will be the shock/spring towers - they pretty well have to go.. and to do that, you'll be looking at some pretty substantial front suspension changes such as those from RRS - hope you've got a deep wallet if you want to go this way... mind you, if you DO go ahead with this you'd end up with a nice powerful car with excellent handling and steering (RRS uses a rack and pinion setup)

But again, if you want cheap and easy, just buy a donor car with a cleveland and use everything out of that. Thats what I did, actually ended up making a cash profit out of it, did all the work myself in the driveway, and everything bolted up - only cutting I had to do was open up the radiator panel a bit as the crossflow rad was wider...let me know if you want any advice on going this way..

Posted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:40 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: ED 5ltr NM pajero

NSW, Australia

tearlejc wrote:

a BA XR6 turbo powered XC Van would be a beast.... should fit too! there a few XD-XE-XFs with these motors

Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

funnily enough I was thinking about BA motors in my XB...not that I want to replace my 351, but if ever in the future I need to an XR6T and manual box would be fun..and getting cheaper too...don't know if anyone has tried it but I did start thinking about the front of that motor which sits quite high in a BA engine bay - wonder what clearance issues might be like with the bonnet? You could do a cowl induction type hood like they do in the states that comes right to the front of the bonnet if necessary...definately worth thinking about, I mean even a non turbo BA motors around the 300 hp mark...anyone already done this?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]