Fordmods Logo

XD Heater fan 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: XD Heater fan
Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:49 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL Fairmont, XD Fairmont Ghia

ACT, Australia

Has anyone modified the fan in the heater/airconditioning box?

What i would like is more air pushed out the vents and the only way I can see of doing this is to put in a fan which has a higher RPM, any ideas ppl??

Another problem I face is the resistor (which gives the fan the mid-range and the low-range speeds) has burned out and I no longer have the medium speed, does anyone know what voltages go to the fan when the low and medium speeds are selected?

Or know what resistances these two are suppose to be?

Many Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Glenn

'80 XD Fairmont Ghia (X-DV8), 351, AOD, B&M MegaShifter, 3.23-9" Diff, XE Ghia Headlights, Clear Front Indicators, Fairlane Grille, XF Front Bumper, XF Taillights & Fuel Filler Cover, Fairlane Dash, LTD F & R Headrests, LTD Dome Light, XF Center Console & Alarm.

Post subject: Re: XD Heater fan
Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

X-DV8 wrote:
Has anyone modified the fan in the heater/airconditioning box?

What i would like is more air pushed out the vents and the only way I can see of doing this is to put in a fan which has a higher RPM, any ideas ppl??

Another problem I face is the resistor (which gives the fan the mid-range and the low-range speeds) has burned out and I no longer have the medium speed, does anyone know what voltages go to the fan when the low and medium speeds are selected?

Or know what resistances these two are suppose to be?

Many Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Glenn

Firstly, you may need to remove the dash assembly and reseal the joints where the foam rubber has rotted away, and clean out the evapourator case, evapourator fins, heater core fins, and vent ducting.
The XD's had rubber hoses for the vacuum to travel in for operating vents and such, these perish and create vacuum leaks. You could replace them with XF vacuum lines, they are plastic and don't fall apart/rot.

Just put in another fan speed resistor block. One of the reasons they sh!t themselves is because of leaves and crap get on them and corrode them.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:16 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL Fairmont, XD Fairmont Ghia

ACT, Australia

cjh wrote:

Firstly, you may need to remove the dash assembly and reseal the joints where the foam rubber has rotted away, and clean out the evapourator case, evapourator fins, heater core fins, and vent ducting.
The XD's had rubber hoses for the vacuum to travel in for operating vents and such, these perish and create vacuum leaks. You could replace them with XF vacuum lines, they are plastic and don't fall apart/rot.

Just put in another fan speed resistor block. One of the reasons they sh!t themselves is because of leaves and crap get on them and corrode them.
cjh,

Thanks for the ideas.

I'll check the airways out and give 'em a clean while I'm at it, I actually have a set of XF vacuum lines which I shall swap over.

In the meantime I'll fit a replacement speed resistor block, but eventually I'd like to put voltage regulators (or a variable voltage regulator) in to see if they last longer (hence me asking for the voltages for medium and low speeds).

Cheers,
Glenn

'80 XD Fairmont Ghia (X-DV8), 351, AOD, B&M MegaShifter, 3.23-9" Diff, XE Ghia Headlights, Clear Front Indicators, Fairlane Grille, XF Front Bumper, XF Taillights & Fuel Filler Cover, Fairlane Dash, LTD F & R Headrests, LTD Dome Light, XF Center Console & Alarm.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]