XD needs more power 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: XD needs more power
Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:09 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: falcon XD

VIC, Australia

hey every one i is new here but thought u guys mite b able to help, i thought my XD had a fair bit of guts it has extractors and a 2.5 sports exhaust, but not shore wat else as the privies owner played around with it a lot. But the problem is my mate drives a s**ty little civic and well I always give him c**p :D but the other day we dragged and he killed me! :evil: I need more power! Was thinking of spending about 2-3 grand… but have no idea wat to get done. I can get most parts trade price and I know a mechanic so no labor…

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: XD 351, FG Ute

NT, Australia

drop a 351 in it lol

WINNER:
Best modified car 1980 - 1989 Shannons show and shine 2006
Best XD-XH Darwin All Ford Day 2011

There is no substitute for cubic inches :twisted:

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:14 am 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EL Fairmont

NSW, Australia

I agree with warlock,

Drop a 351 in :twisted:

Fuk it, You only live once!!!

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

You've got an XD right? Drop in a 351. Its fairly straight forward on an XD.

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

failing that, just get the whole motor rebuilt with some go-fast bits, and then turbo it.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR Turbo

NSW, Australia

if its an auto.. drop a manual 351 in it

BF XR6T 6spd Auto. 60lb injectors, Hybrid Cooler, Custom Piping, Custom Surge Tank, Actuator.

12.3 @ 114

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:37 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: falcon XD

VIC, Australia

yeah its auto but the prob is i am on me P's in vic so i can only have a 302... although i can get away with stroking it and adding a few little goodies... how much would it cost to bye all the gear to change to a 302? cos i have been told i need to replace almost half the gear in the engine bay and would be better to by a donar car with a V8 already and swap everything...?

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: XHII pano, Landau

VIC, Australia

If you have a 6 which im guessing you do, i have a 302 which u can have cheep if you want it, comes with auto ect. PM me if your interested.

Automatics only come in assult riffles
---------------------------------------
www.aussiecoupes.net

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:53 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

you could ditch the spare tyre and stuff from your boot to take care of weight loss... then bolt on a redline manifold with a 500 holley or 350... if you were gonna go bigger then id go the efi head (which had bigger valves) shaved to get around 9.5-9.7 comp and a big cam...

also get a four speed or preferably a five speed gearbox and then run a 3.23 or 3.5 diff... youd go 100 times harder then...

do the cortina diffs fit in? (3.5 or 3.7)

or just get a 302 and chuck a 351 crank, a big cam and extractors and big carby... should do alright then with the right diff to go with it!

whatever you do dont let a civic beat you again!!!!

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: XHII pano, Landau

VIC, Australia

a 500 holley on a 6?

Automatics only come in assult riffles
---------------------------------------
www.aussiecoupes.net

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

SA, Australia

brad18 wrote:
yeah its auto but the prob is i am on me P's in vic so i can only have a 302... although i can get away with stroking it and adding a few little goodies... how much would it cost to bye all the gear to change to a 302? cos i have been told i need to replace almost half the gear in the engine bay and would be better to by a donar car with a V8 already and swap everything...?

If you can get away with a stroked 302 you can get away with a 351, cos thats what it is. The small clevo's are exaclty the same externally. The only way to tell is to measure the stroke.

Adrian
EF Fairmont, 5.0Lt, Pacemaker Headers, Sports cats, Redback muff, T5 manual, 16" Tickford rims, Tickford "Body Styling", DBA Gold Rotors, Heritage Green, JVC MP3
XB Coupe, 351C, twin system, C4 shift kitted auto, 9" LSD, Eccose Blue, very loud !!!!

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:09 pm 
Site Admin

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

raiki wrote:
brad18 wrote:

If you can get away with a stroked 302 you can get away with a 351, cos thats what it is. The small clevo's are exaclty the same externally. The only way to tell is to measure the stroke.

Arent they cast in the lifter gallery?

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:58 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Waggin wrote:
raiki wrote:
brad18 wrote:

yeah thats what i thought. i thought the only way to get around it was to put a 351 crank in.

also a 500 holley is fine on a 6. whats the problem? my engine im building for my corty has a cfm of 410 ive estimated so a 500 holley will be perfect...

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR Turbo

NSW, Australia

i dunno about a 500,, im running a 350 on mine and it runs beautiful... slightly rich under heavy acceleration,, if your going down the holley road the xfalcon.com guys recon a 450 (4bbl) is a good way to go

Quote:
Yes it will go better, as my research has found me over the past couple of weeks. I've been reading and talking to many carburettor technicans who've done swaps and explained to me how these engines work in terms of carburation.

The ford 250 XFLOW even standard will have better midrange-top end horsepower with a 350 Holley. The 34mm ventruies on the weber are small and it flows only about 290CFM when compared to the 350Holley 2 barrel.
Part of the restriction is in the standard manifold but also the 34mm venturies do limit the power of a cross-flow in terms of air supply.
Especially a cross-flow with bigger exhaust, more compression, cam etc is in a definite need of a bigger carby to supply the required airflow.

*Almost any carby can be made to work with the 250 engine as long as the engine needs enough airflow that the carburettor doesn't bog down like a 600 Holley or more on a stock 250. Reson for that is primary flows 300cfm therefore no little vaccum to open secondaries and loss of drivability and economy.

Amazingly for a stock/near stock 250 a 350 2 barrel will work, a 500 Progressive butterflies 2 barrel will work, a 390 4barrel will work, a 450 4 barrel will work, a 465 4 barrel will work even a 550 4 barrel will work as these have the same primaries as the 465 (233cfm) just bigger secondaries.

The 350 2 barrel provides good torque but the 390/450/465/550 has better topend potential. All these 4 barrel carbs listed actually have smaller primaries than the 350 so they will run on their primaries until there is vacuum to run the secondaries (for a vacuum secondaries carb). Therefore that leaves us wanting 350 2 barrel torque but better topend potential hence the 450 4 barrel mechanical secondaries which when opened properly will provide as good a torque as a 350 2 barrel with far better top end potential.

I've recently bought this very carb it's GREAT. Cruise on 225cfm primaries (for economy) then open up secondaries when wanted for good power. Not even comparable to the weber. It is a great little carb within reason and for a economy choice was used by ford but a couple of mods later it really is outflowed as my research has found out and seat of the pants experience.

I suggest go try a midrange cam say 1500-4500rpm and a 450 4barrel and you won't know the car with a manual transmission and 3.23gears. You'll need a 4barrel manifold and linkages, only trade-off to the 4barrel manifold is less vacuum, so little less driveable at very low rpm and loss of vacuum to the booster. This fixes though as revs rise.

Some may not agree with all this but I've gathered this info over time and found it to be most accurate especially my 450 4 barrel now. Trust me it's worth it for the aceleration.

sorry for the long post but i found it interesting, might help your situation brad18

cheers, mitch

BF XR6T 6spd Auto. 60lb injectors, Hybrid Cooler, Custom Piping, Custom Surge Tank, Actuator.

12.3 @ 114

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

SA, Australia

Waggin wrote:
raiki wrote:
brad18 wrote:

Nope, none of my clevelands have been.

Adrian
EF Fairmont, 5.0Lt, Pacemaker Headers, Sports cats, Redback muff, T5 manual, 16" Tickford rims, Tickford "Body Styling", DBA Gold Rotors, Heritage Green, JVC MP3
XB Coupe, 351C, twin system, C4 shift kitted auto, 9" LSD, Eccose Blue, very loud !!!!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next