Fordmods Logo

XD To XH Rust removal. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: XD To XH Rust removal.
Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:41 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon Xh

NSW, Australia

So I promised I would post a how to guide on the forum as a contribution for help with a XH2 To AU2 engine swap. (so far no replys) Anyhow. Im a panelbeater by trade and did my trade in the early 80s so did it all the hard way (Fixed things not threw them away). Im Gonna do the sills first see if asnyone likes it then Il do the doors, door shuts, hinges etc,

1. Presuming that the cancer hasnt spread to within 30mm of each end of the sill. this is the easiest way.
2. Rare spares will sell you a rust section XD for about $100. (Top Value)

3. Now get the car jacked up and on stands on the right or left side.

4. Dont be afraid now because this is the moment of truth as to how bad your rust really is. Get out the trusty angle grinder with a wire wheel, and get into it. Remove all the paint and rust especially the very bottom edge of the sill exposing all the spot welds. Things should now appear clearer.

5. Pick a ""High tide mark"" somewhere clean and rust free where you are going to cut the car. Preferably below the crease but it doesnt matter . The same with both ends of the sill front and back.

6. When ur satisfied that you have all the cancer (Dont be shy) Mark the car out, with a black permanent texta.

7. Then grab the new sill and mark it out the same. The easiest way to cut the new sill is with a combination of air shears ($60 Bunnings) and angle grinder. Use the ultra thin cutting discs, and DONT rush. Neatness and attention to detail here will pay off.

8. when you have your new sill. place it on the car where U intend on repairing the rust. Now u can either G cramp vice grip or my preffered method of putting a tack on the sill front and back. (Little ones.)...

9. With a thin texta draw around the rust repair section.

10. Grind, bust off the RRS (Rust repair section).

11. Centre pop all the spot welds along the bottom of the sill. With a small pilot drill obviously imside the RRS drill out the welds. Then with a larger drill. Drill out all of the spot weld.

12. Now EVER so carefully and SLOWLY take your time with the ultra thin cutting disk, and cut on the wast side of the line. Cut through all three layers of steel at the bottom of the sill (Spot weld end)

13. Now every 80mm or so drill holes with say an 8mm drill along the spot weld line of the RRS. Neatness is everything.

14. Fit the RRS into the hole in the car you have created. Now even the neatest amoung us will require a nip and tuck fetter push and pull, but if you have been carfull it should fit.

15. With a few pair of vice grips. Grip the RRS into place. Now slowly start tacking the RRS Into place Front Back, middle corners. Weld up say 2 or 3 of your holes in the bottom.

16. Take off the vice grips and tacke a good hard look at it. It should at this stage look smick. if so go about randomly tacking the RRS into place still on the principal of Front Back top bottom. Look again.

17. Grab a coke . Relax. Now get to it and weld that sucker in. Always move about so as to minimise distortion. 10 or 20mm run here move 300mm same. soon all the runs will join.

18. Dont be afraid of using a M.I.G. They are simple to use, just get someone who can use it to set it up for u. I.E Gas CFM wire speed amps etc.

19. Grab a grinding disk and grind up you welds. U should have No distortion if u followed closely.

20. thin skim of plastic filler over the welds, a block and 36 grt open cut paper. finish it off. Job done.

It took me about 6 hours a side, but i am a tradesmen and understand the way. it shouldnt take mor than 10 hours for a novice, Beside this job is priceless at $90 an hour charge out for a tradesmen. you are probably looking at a grand a side. Dont forget to disconnect the battery.

Any questions ?????

Now can someone tell me about XH2 To AU2.

Regards Darren

P.S. Tectyl the inside of the sill once ur done....

Post subject: Re: XD To XH Rust removal.
Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: XH Ute / AU3 V8 Wagon

QLD, Australia

Well done, lot's of people will find that very useful. Try and get some pics next time you do one, it will up us more illiterate ones to follow easier. 8-)

If you have a read thru my build thread, I have fitted an AU engine to my XH. Piece of piss, easiest conversion I have done. I have written a tech doco for this job, but it hasn't been posted on here yet. If you're desparate, :twisted: pm me your email and I'll email it to you.
Cheers,
8-)

Yes, I own a Ute. No, I won't help you move!

EL Wagon Build Thread http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sooty72-s-ef-futura-wagon-long-term-project-t90025.html
XH Ute Thread http://www.fordmods.com/post1138970.html#p1138970

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

hi,very impressed with it.do rare spares do all the rust repair panels or can you use a donor car for the panels and sections?thanks keep it up,you may not get many replies,but alot will read and learn how to do it and thats the important thing.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:34 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon Xh

NSW, Australia

Yeh.. Use the Rare Spares one. Once U have cut the donar car to pieces ur new bit will look like S*&^%... so if ya can, use the rare spares bits. Besides it just makes a better job. Done Once. Done Right. Finished. :D

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]