Fordmods Logo

XD To XH2 Doors and Shuts. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: XD To XH2 Doors and Shuts.
Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:22 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon Xh

NSW, Australia

So I promised.. So Lets start.
Take a look at the very top rear corner of your door and the pillar where it enters the car. Chances are there is some paint missing where the frame strikes the car. If not open the door wide grab hold of it and feel it for slop, up and down. Now open the door wide, and look inside at the hinges, bottom especially push the door open to its extemities and see the slop in the frame of the door. Have you got any of these diseases. Dont worry you can get ointment for it these days :oops: .

So if you have an Xh with Power to the doors take the three screws out of the kick panel iside the car and undo both the interior light conector for the switch, and the big connector for the door locks.

Take the circlip from both the top and bottom pinsthey have a raised lip and are easy to remove. Careful they might fly. Now in the day we had a tool, like a fork rod bar arrangement for these cars. But now with a set of punches, screwdrivers, and multigrips, firstly a squirt of WD, top and bottom.

Bust the seal on the top pin. It punches downward and is the easiest to get out but dont do that, just bust the seal on it so you know that its going to go. Now the bottom one punches upward and with a jemmy and hammer a punch and persistance break the seall on this one and drive it half out.

Its coming now so you will need an assistant. Work the rubber bung out of its hole thats holding the wiring into the car.

Righto with someone holding the back of the door. Make sure the window is down its easier to hold, knock the bottom pin out. Your mate wont be holding any weight so just relax. Now get in and punch the top one out. The door is away.. Both of U remove it, carefully pulling the electrical connector through the hole and out.

Now this is why I was rare spares salesman of the month :D . You will have bought an XD door kit. It is essentially, 2 new pins, nylon bushes and circlips. Remove the old bushes, punch them prod them, they wont be a problem. lube up the new bushes, and drive them home with a hammer. Make sure you use a hammer and gently ensure they are home. LUbe the pins. Go get ya mate again.

Now a bit of a trick here. Start both your pins. Also before the door goes ""in"" push the electrics back through. Put lots of masking tape. 3 or4 layers inside the door shut to protect your paint. Lift it up and on Get the bottom started then the top. Once both are half in. Drive them home and fit circlips. 80% of you will be really happy with the result. The 20% of you that are sad are the 20% who''s doors are shagged. Dont worry they are fixable. And you will know straight away if they are cracked around the hinge, they are in need of some MIG love. But thats another article for me to smash out.

Hope this helps. More posts On AU to XH engine upgrade ????

Post subject: Re: XD To XH2 Doors and Shuts.
Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

nice one,i didnt know new ones where out there.doors cracking in the hinge mounts is almost normal.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:32 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Nice write up, just ordered 2 bush kits for my XG.

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: XH Ute / AU3 V8 Wagon

QLD, Australia

Good write up, could do with some pics for the unaware...

Check your PM.

Cheers,

8-)

Yes, I own a Ute. No, I won't help you move!

EL Wagon Build Thread http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sooty72-s-ef-futura-wagon-long-term-project-t90025.html
XH Ute Thread http://www.fordmods.com/post1138970.html#p1138970

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU fairmont ghia

ACT, Australia

Can this be made into a tech doc so it wont get lost
Please admin

AU FAIRMONT GHIA: 5.0 Dealer ordered SVO mods ( seeking clarification ATM), tickford suspension.

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:52 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: XH Ute

QLD, Australia

Awesome, thanks for that info, it took me a while to eventually find something akin to a fix for these bloody doors.

However, mine is deffo moving at the door end of the hinge and I need to know what needs to be done to strengthen the door before the bloody lot hit's the deck.

So what does Mr MIG need to do?

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: XH Ute / AU3 V8 Wagon

QLD, Australia

On mine i had to remove the doors completely, remove the bottom hinge, then cut and shape a plate of 3mm steel to fit inside the door hinge area, where the door was cracked. This was welded in place, then the cracks were welded from the outside, ground smooth (-ish) and then fitted a brand new bottom hinge. The door hasnt give trouble since, almost 6 years now. That reminds me, must paint that soon..... :roll:

Yes, I own a Ute. No, I won't help you move!

EL Wagon Build Thread http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sooty72-s-ef-futura-wagon-long-term-project-t90025.html
XH Ute Thread http://www.fordmods.com/post1138970.html#p1138970

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]