Fordmods Logo

XE straight 6 engine mods 

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: XE straight 6 engine mods
Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:30 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

I've just bought myself a bog stock XE fairmont, all the panels are dead straight and theres almost no rust. The power steerings shot but its fixable :D I'm keeping it a six instead of making it another V8 conversion I'm looking for advice on how to pull as much power out of my stock 6 as possible (I cant turbo or supercharge as I'm on my ps)

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:42 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: XW Falcon

WA, Australia

350 or 465 holly carb. or if you feeling rich :D tripple webbers. 2 inch exhaust and extractors. Cam. Also get the head ported and shaved. all of that should be less than 5k (without the webbers).

1970 XW - Soon to be rebuilt

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

in all honesty, stick in an injected 4.0L six. That will give you best bang for buck.

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:40 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

mate best bet is port and polish the head,rejet and tune the stock webber,good extractors and zorst and off you go...good torque and a nice ride...good luck...and for further reference go to..
www.xfalcon.com

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:08 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: '79 XD Falcon Wagon

VIC, Australia

I don't think you can get away with much on your Ps, unless you've had them for a while, not sure about the laws up there in QLD, but I know that down here in vic the rules changed a while ago so no mods are allowed - so if it's the same up there you;d be limited to things that aren't easy to pick, if you chose to mod anyway that is.

Otherwise, the usual stuff, extractors, decent exhaust (2.25"), cam, manual conversion (preferably a T5 so you can go for a shorter ratio diff), LSD (2.92 if still auto, if you go for a 5 speed you can go for 3.23:1 or 3.45:1), head tidied up, rejetted webber, etc.

We've got a member over at xfords.com who has got a nice figure of 190rwkw with the webber (Motor mod's include: 200 rods, ported head and manifold, roller rockers, balance bottom end, 3 angle valve grind, bored and rejetted weber carby ACL race series pistons, crow cam), so you can get some decent figures out of the 4.1 crossflows.

Have a look at xfords.com, in particular this member: http://www.xfords.com/forum/member.php?u=815 (owner of the 190rwkw 4.1 with the webber)

http://www.xfords.com

Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:29 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

The MaDDeSTMaN wrote:
We've got a member over at xfords.com who has got a nice figure of 190rwkw with the webber (Motor mod's include: 200 rods, ported head and manifold, roller rockers, balance bottom end, 3 angle valve grind, bored and rejetted weber carby ACL race series pistons, crow cam), so you can get some decent figures out of the 4.1 crossflows.)

Does he have a dyno sheet (not a fudged Dyno Dynamics printout) and quarter mile figures for that car, reason I ask is I have known a lot of professionals out there that couldn't get that sort of power out of a 4.1 with a lot more work done, especially with such a small rejetted carby.

Quarter mile printout would be the real proof, not to sound negative but I would expect a shot of laughing gas to get 190RWKW out of a 4.1 with just those mods, I am just not as easy to convince as some people are, as this engine has been around a long time and I have never seen any results like that other than forced induction, if someone was to say NA 190RWHP it would still be impressive.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:15 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: '79 XD Falcon Wagon

VIC, Australia

Macca wrote:
The MaDDeSTMaN wrote:
We've got a member over at xfords.com who has got a nice figure of 190rwkw with the webber (Motor mod's include: 200 rods, ported head and manifold, roller rockers, balance bottom end, 3 angle valve grind, bored and rejetted weber carby ACL race series pistons, crow cam), so you can get some decent figures out of the 4.1 crossflows.)

Does he have a dyno sheet (not a fudged Dyno Dynamics printout) and quarter mile figures for that car, reason I ask is I have known a lot of professionals out there that couldn't get that sort of power out of a 4.1 with a lot more work done, especially with such a small rejetted carby.

Quarter mile printout would be the real proof, not to sound negative but I would expect a shot of laughing gas to get 190RWKW out of a 4.1 with just those mods, I am just not as easy to convince as some people are, as this engine has been around a long time and I have never seen any results like that other than forced induction, if someone was to say NA 190RWHP it would still be impressive.
Judge for yourself: http://www.xfords.com/forum/showthread. ... 222&page=2 - 5th post down, attached picture :)

http://www.xfords.com

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

The XE is a great car as it is : The Webber will give you a lot of performance and also good (relative) economy.

Start with a decent head port, and maybe a small cam (stage 2-3). I used to use heatseeker cams, and they were nice. The engine wont rev heaps, but it will produce an *enourmous* amount of torque. Let the bottom end die, then either rebuild it or find one thats been rebuilt. They shouldnt be too expensive.

Going LPG is a good option - it will only cost you around $500-$800 using the govt. rebate. More if you go with something like GasResearch, but I dont see the money there. I used Impco (200L mixer, 200 Converter, with the XE/F Injected Manifolds. Good performance and cheap to run then.

Make sure its a manual. the 4 speed single rail is an ok box, or you can use an XF T5 manual which has much much much nicer shifting mechanism.
If you stay with a single rail, then make sure that you replace the shifter retaining nut with one of the nice machined ones on ebay. That will make life much easier.

Also do exhaust. Look around and find some extractors as they make a big difference on these.

And have some fun. Theres nothing too hard in these because they were pre-ecu and pre-smog. Wiring is easy, and easy to hide. And simple to fix. Not much to go wrong.

The one electrical item that comes to mind is the Alternator to battery wire - it was known for getting Voltage Drop. All auto leccys (at least those around 35-40yo) will make you a short lead up with the inline fusable link for very little money.

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

The MaDDeSTMaN wrote:
Judge for yourself: http://www.xfords.com/forum/showthread. ... 222&page=2 - 5th post down, attached picture :)

Macca wrote:
Does he have a dyno sheet (not a fudged Dyno Dynamics printout) and quarter mile figures for that car

I should have corrected myself, "not a Dyno Dynamics" printout/screen shot, lets just say they are only good for a dyno day to compare one car against another on the day, they are a tuning tool, I have little faith in them, just look at Summernats Horsepower Heroes inconsistencies over the years.

Quarter mile figures will tell the story, that car would be one quick car considering if it hasn't got power windows and some big a*** stereo it would be under 1400kgs. Easy 13's, maybe lower, but top speed will give rough power even with wheel spin or poor launch etc.

I actually don't mind if I get blown out of the water :P

I wonder what CFM a factory Webber is, because I have enough problems wondering how it got over 318hp at the flywheel (using only 25% loses, which is unlikely) and then using such a small carby (They are a top carby, just they are not that big).

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:00 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XC GXL

WA, Australia

I have an XE EFI sedan and it has a single rail and 2.77 lsd I dont know the RWHP but it goes like a stung cat. Best time at Motorplex was 15.5. I think the EFI cams are different? The motr was $100 outta the trading post(QUOKKA) hhahhahaha. these cars spin me out.

XC GXL 5.8: 14.1 @ 99MPH. Thank you to Jimbos alchoholic uncle for the short motor. It goes alright now mate.

Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:11 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Power: 120 rwkw

New Zealand

My little 3.3 litre powered xe has 96 rwkw with the following mods: converted to EFI, decent cam, extractors & 2'5" exhaust system. should crack 100 rwkw if i fit electric fans from an ef

You can fit EFI to a standard 4.1 motor - it all goes on without any problems.

My XE is now turbo and yet to be dynoed with it's latest additions.

Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 94 ED Fairmont, MY97 LE WRX

VIC, Australia

Nigel Said
Quote:
Make sure its a manual. the 4 speed single rail is an ok box, or you can use an XF T5 manual which has much much much nicer shifting mechanism.
If you stay with a single rail, then make sure that you replace the shifter retaining nut with one of the nice machined ones on ebay. That will make life much easier.

Nrap on ebay was the first to get these made up and sells them at a affordable price he is based in Ringwood.

Last edited by RedRoo on Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:08 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XC GXL

WA, Australia

Yes all my Falcs have the thermos. 3.3 efi? I`d like to drive that. do they have a rev limiter? If so mine wont get there, but it doesnt need to. They oooze torque. Got extractors and zorst too. Bloody funny ol girl the crossy. Indestructible.

XC GXL 5.8: 14.1 @ 99MPH. Thank you to Jimbos alchoholic uncle for the short motor. It goes alright now mate.

Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:18 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Power: 120 rwkw

New Zealand

We just bolted this car together to see if it would work as we had never heard of any one adding efi to the 3.3 motor and no one knew enough about them to give us any real good advice.

The addition of efi is a really good mod. It makes the car a lot smoother to drive, being a 3.3 we were abit worried about the air/fuel ratios as the efi was straight off a 4.1 XE. The dyno run showed we had nothing to worry about as the air/fuel ratios were really good.

there's no rev limiter on the XE or XF efi systems so it suits the 3.3 well as they are a bit more rev happy than the 4.1 motors

With the addition of mild boost it's even better and every one is shocked that it's still hanging together using the factory ECU and 4.1 efi set up.

Over all it's a pretty cool car and turns alot of heads, and drops a few jaws too when they realise it's packing boost. Its no horsepower hero or show pony but just good fun. :)

Attachments:
P1010193.JPG
P1010193.JPG [ 57.5 KiB | Viewed 4464 times ]
P1010190.JPG
P1010190.JPG [ 63.47 KiB | Viewed 4486 times ]

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next