Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: xf 4.1 ticking noise
Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:46 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EFII Falcon Gli

QLD, Australia

Hey,

A friend just purchased a xf ute with the 250 cross flow. I noticed that it ticks once it warms up, but if you leave it off for a couple of minutes and turn it back on it is quiet until you are moving again.

I haven't actually worked with one of these engines before, is there any obvious cause for this ticking or is it time to start pulling things apart and replacing?
Admittedly the oil in the thing looks like it was shipped from factory, that will be flushed tonight. I'm hoping that is the cause, but I have seen mentioned that these engines can be rather ticky for some reason

Cheers,
Adam

EF Falcon Gli
-2.5" Exhaust, King Super/Ultra lows, Alted Performance Cam, 3.45 LSD, T5 conversion

Post subject: Re: xf 4.1 ticking noise
Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:57 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 1991 eb1 fairmont

QLD, Australia

hydraulic lifters with thin oil would cause this, as it gets hot oil pressure drops so do oil change to 20/50 and all should come good again.

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Crankshaft end-float also. The 4.1 is known for ticking though. Not too many super-quiet ones about

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:03 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EFII Falcon Gli

QLD, Australia

Thanks for the advice guys

I have changed the oil to a fresh 20w50. There was way too much oil in it to start with, came up to around twice the max on the dipstick.... It sounds completely different now, much healthier.

Now to begin the overhaul/mods haha.

EF Falcon Gli
-2.5" Exhaust, King Super/Ultra lows, Alted Performance Cam, 3.45 LSD, T5 conversion

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:19 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 4 images

Nigel wrote:
Crankshaft end-float also. The 4.1 is known for ticking though. Not too many super-quiet ones about

very true that I had a XE for 22 years and it always sounded tappty
and I never had a problem with it..and it never had a reco or anything over that time. and was still running strong when I sold it

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

My ol' man had an XD sedan for 13 years, it was so quiet, you could hardly hear it run. I was an 81 model, special order, 250, 4 sp, a/c, no p/steer, sports dash, S Pack spot/driving lights, special cloth seats ( hounds tooth pattern ), Venus Orange was the colour, chrome door handles, front exterior sunvisor ( same colour as the car).
All he ever used in it was Castrol GTX, then GTX II when that was no longer around.....changed it every 3,000 km.
Never broke a door handle on it either.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 5 speed XG ute

SA, Australia

cjh wrote:
My ol' man had an XD sedan for 13 years, it was so quiet, you could hardly hear it run. I was an 81 model, special order, 250, 4 sp, a/c, no p/steer, sports dash, S Pack spot/driving lights, special cloth seats ( hounds tooth pattern ), Venus Orange was the colour, chrome door handles, front exterior sunvisor ( same colour as the car).
All he ever used in it was Castrol GTX, then GTX II when that was no longer around.....changed it every 3,000 km.
Never broke a door handle on it either.

VERY lucky to have not broken door handles lol. My XG gives me he sh*ts with the bloody door handles. Think I've replaced door handles more than 5 times. I seen someone (obviously a complete f**kstick) trying to break into it once. Broke the passengers door handle before i even had a chance to yell at him. (Dont think he realized the drivers door was unlocked and the keys were in the ignition... tosser)

Yep, I don't know what to write here...

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

The main problem with breaking door handles is worn out door hinge pins & bushes.
Thats XD to XF/G.
And the operation of opening the door too, comes into it...you place your thumb on the top of the handle while bringing the fingers up in a vertical twisting motion towards the thumb.....not just grabbing it with all fingers reefing upwards.......get what I mean...???
I have lost count of how many XD to XF doors that I have fixed to be good as new again.....and some people were really suprised at how well they worked when they were fixed, coz they were used to them being a total b!tch to operate.
Lubricating door hinges/catches/latches at each oil change really helps the longevity of them.

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 5 speed XG ute

SA, Australia

Yeah i think i might be a bit rough on the door handles lol.

Yep, I don't know what to write here...

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:36 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EB falcon

QLD, Australia

when my xe started the same noise for a long time i tried alot of things differnt oils, tried that tappet stop noise stuff i did however end up fitting roller rockers on the end which didnt get rid of the noise completally but it did however reduce the noise to a tick you could only hear with the bonnet open

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

One problem was that XD to XF camshafts weren't very hard...in other words, they wore out if regular oil changes weren't carried out.....the lobes wore.
If you fit a mild cam, say a 26/65, and new lifters, timing chain set, and check the wear on the pedistals/rockers, you will find the noise gone.

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:14 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 1991 eb1 fairmont

QLD, Australia

cjh wrote:
One problem was that XD to XF camshafts weren't very hard...in other words, they wore out if regular oil changes weren't carried out.....the lobes wore.
If you fit a mild cam, say a 26/65, and new lifters, timing chain set, and check the wear on the pedistals/rockers, you will find the noise gone.

also fit new distributor gear, i learnt the hard way when the crow cam chewed the teeth off the stock gear as they take the load of the high volume oil pumps.

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

rustyeb1991 wrote:
cjh wrote:

also fit new distributor gear, i learnt the hard way when the crow cam chewed the teeth off the stock gear as they take the load of the high volume oil pumps.

Yes...I forgot that one...get a matched set.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]