XF falcon move 

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: XF falcon move
Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:56 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: NA / NL fairlane, 08 honda civic

QLD, Australia

Hi All

I have an XF falcon that has been sitting dorment for 4 years, i need to move it.

I am concerned that if i was to re fuel the XF and try to turn the engine over it may do damage to the engine

Is this likely or should the car start fine. i tested the electrics and that seems fine.

I plan to rebuild the car top to bottem, remove any rust and repaint the car. rebuild the engine and so on but initialy need to move the car out of the way

Regards

Barry

Question.
What is the meaning of life?
Answer.
The condition that distinguishes organisms from inorganic objects and dead organisms, being manifested by growth through metabolism, reproduction, and the power of adaptation to environment through changes originating internally.

Post subject: Re: XF falcon move
Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: 1990 XF Ute

VIC, Australia

Bazzy wrote:
Hi All

I have an XF falcon that has been sitting dorment for 4 years, i need to move it.

I am concerned that if i was to re fuel the XF and try to turn the engine over it may do damage to the engine

Is this likely or should the car start fine. i tested the electrics and that seems fine.

I plan to rebuild the car top to bottem, remove any rust and repaint the car. rebuild the engine and so on but initialy need to move the car out of the way

Regards

Barry

i would imagine if it has oil and water it should be fine maybe do a oil n filter change before starting it?

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:22 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

fordnut1988 wrote:
i would imagine if it has oil and water it should be fine maybe do a oil n filter change before starting it?

Sounds like a good ideea, the Oil was black when i checked it today so probably a good idea.

Might flush what is in there out with some cheap oil then replace with a decent brand.

Question.
Answer.
The condition that distinguishes organisms from inorganic objects and dead organisms, being manifested by growth through metabolism, reproduction, and the power of adaptation to environment through changes originating internally.

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

remove plugs and turn it over after changing the oil, get some oil pumping through it before putting pressure on moving parts

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:41 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

it will be fine... its only been sitting for 4 years not 24 years lol.. aslong as its been sitting with the airfilter on and a full exhaust system..
if your only going to move it and not really drive it, just make sure it has oil, no need to put fresh oil if its not really going to get driven.
and just prime it with some 2 stroke fuel..

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:43 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Tried to move it today, found battery was dead so i took the new one in my civic (400cca battery) and i got it all the stuff working on the dash but could not get it to turn over the engine not even a grunt from the starter motor. i am thinking the starter motor could have a fuse or something and may be blown or rusted out or something.

i will have to have a look at it more.

Regards

Barry

Question.
Answer.

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

Bazzy wrote:
Tried to move it today, found battery was dead so i took the new one in my civic (400cca battery) and i got it all the stuff working on the dash but could not get it to turn over the engine not even a grunt from the starter motor. i am thinking the starter motor could have a fuse or something and may be blown or rusted out or something.

i will have to have a look at it more.

Regards

Barry

The starter motor doesnt have a fuse, make sure the engine to body earth is in good nick, make sure the battery to engine earth in in good nick, and make sure the kick in wire hasnt come off the starter motor. I'd also be making sure that the battery terminals are all clean and tight, see if you can hear the starter motor relay engaging. Beat the starter motor solenoid lots of times with a hammer and see if that fixes it too incase it's a seized solenoid. There's a small chance that the fusible link is cooked, but I'd suggest if so, you have other issues. What about the inhibitor switch? is it hooked up and working properley? This only applies if it's an auto of course.

Gab

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:56 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Gab1 wrote:

The starter motor doesnt have a fuse, make sure the engine to body earth is in good nick, make sure the battery to engine earth in in good nick, and make sure the kick in wire hasnt come off the starter motor. I'd also be making sure that the battery terminals are all clean and tight, see if you can hear the starter motor relay engaging. Beat the starter motor solenoid lots of times with a hammer and see if that fixes it too incase it's a seized solenoid. There's a small chance that the fusible link is cooked, but I'd suggest if so, you have other issues. What about the inhibitor switch? is it hooked up and working properley? This only applies if it's an auto of course.

Gab

Thanks Gab

Went to the wreckers and found an XF that had battery terminals rather than balt through wires and put that in place. after i did this i heard click in the engine compartment when i turned the key so i checked the wireing and then bashed the starter a few times and the starter is now working, sounds very slow but is turning the engine.

Engine still wont start tho, it turns and turns till i see petrol dripping out of the carb. sparks are good i can see the arcing from the wires if i disconnect them and put them close to earth.

i will look at pulling apart the carby and check for biomatter or blockages.

Regards

Question.
Answer.

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Bazzy wrote:
Gab1 wrote:

Gab

Thanks Gab

Went to the wreckers and found an XF that had battery terminals rather than balt through wires and put that in place. after i did this i heard click in the engine compartment when i turned the key so i checked the wireing and then bashed the starter a few times and the starter is now working, sounds very slow but is turning the engine.

Engine still wont start tho, it turns and turns till i see petrol dripping out of the carb. sparks are good i can see the arcing from the wires if i disconnect them and put them close to earth.

Regards

dont pull the carby apart just yet when u say it sounds slow is the engine turning over slow as well? i would suggest giving the battery a charge up and see how that goes or even put a known good battery in and see if it fires up

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:15 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

fordnut1988 wrote:
dont pull the carby apart just yet when u say it sounds slow is the engine turning over slow as well? i would suggest giving the battery a charge up and see how that goes or even put a known good battery in and see if it fires up

Thanks Fordnut1988

The battery should be ok, it is only 5 months old and borrowed from my Civic, RACQ replaced the battery when I was stuck at the train station and they said the battery is what is used in a Holden Commodore. 400CCA. the civic turns over fine with it.

also when I tried putting the battery in the civic and starting it and trying to start the falcon with the civic providing power too still didn’t start. Sounded slow. I will still get a new battery for it, perhaps a 500CCA or something more powerful.

another thing that crossed my mind is I could parallel my battery and dads battery and try to start it that way, it may help start the car.

I will still put the battery on charge tonight.

Regards

Barry

Question.
Answer.

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:51 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: '97 EL Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

You need a 555CCA battery for the XF, well thats what we had in our XE. Even that battery struggled to turn her over after just 2 months.
The 250 crossflow seems to need a lot of speed in the starter motor to get it going.
You can try this if you want, ditch the clunky starter motor in it now and invest in an EF/EL starter motor. Apparently they are a straight fit.
Hope everything works out mate.

The EL ghia
^^^^^^^^^^

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Bazzy wrote:
Gab1 wrote:

Gab

Thanks Gab

Regards

hey mate i just had another read threw your writeup can you define hat you mean by the starter sounding slow? could be a sick starter could you video record it tryinbg to start and post it up?

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:08 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

fordnut1988 wrote:
hey mate i just had another read threw your writeup can you define hat you mean by the starter sounding slow? could be a sick starter could you video record it tryinbg to start and post it up?

please see below youtube video of the sound the car is making when trying to turn over the engine

http://youtu.be/gM9YGn1YC8o

Regards

Barry

Question.
Answer.

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

sounds like the battery to me

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

have you got spark and petrol getting to the cylinders? it does sound like its winding over a little slow but it also sounds pretty dead when winding over like its missing spark or fuel, have you tryed putting some fuel straight down the carby or some of that start ya bastard spray? that helps with a car that hasent been started for a long time

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next