Fordmods Logo

XG Broadband Manifold Conversion, Yes it Does fit!!!! 

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: XG Broadband Manifold Conversion, Yes it Does fit!!!!
Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

I know it fits! I said it does! I've seen it done I agree 100% that it is doable without too much drama at all.
I said at the start whoever said it doesnt fit was talking s**t!

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:27 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: Ford Falcon XG

VIC, Australia

where were you months ago when discussions were thrown around? you also compared it to XH xr6 released with BBM from factory, the conversion was on an XG.anyway mate good to hear we are all on the same page finally :)

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

Dunno, probably didnt click on it cause it didnt interest me lol.
Non bbm engine bays in XG and XH are pretty much the same arent they? both log manifolds. Even if it wasnt common knowledge people have been putting the sohc into X series for a fair while, which is pretty much the same deal as putting a bbm equipped sohc in an XG.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:57 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Hey guys, I mainly decided to do this post as when you use the search function on the forums about the XG BBM conversion it comes up with heaps of posts about i,t but all of them pretty much have half of the people saying that they heard it from someone else that it doesn't fit and that there is clearance issues. The other half say that they have seen it done. This confusion may have turned people away from doing this mod. I decided that i would post that it does definently fit so that anyone else out there could use the search function on the forum and this would come up and give them a clear answer so they have a bit of encouragementand to help them out.

After I get my intake set up (which will hopefully be this weekend) I will post a picture of the engine bay with it fitted so you can see the other small alterations i had to make.

Also one thing i forgot to mention was that there is no place for the BBM braces to go on at the front on the XG block. The back brace i didn't bother grabbing it from the wreckers cause its a pain to get off and on again so i don't know if that fits or not. So hopefully it will be fine without the braces. I'm sort of hoping that they are just there for when the engine is lifted out because that is where the loop is for this. Otherwise there is 12 bolts holding it in so it should be fine........

Has anyone else ran these manifolds with no braces? If so what happened?

XG Ute. BBM conversion, EL ECU + J3 Chip, 3" Stainless Steel Intake Pipe, K&N Pod Filter, Wade 1673 Camshaft, Pacemaker extractors, 2.5 Inch Hi-Flow Cat, 2.5 Inch exhaust, Cab Extension, 18" FG GT Rims, resprayed in blueprint.

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:05 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

I'm still hoping for the 90mm or even 85mm flexible rubber hose. Its on clark rubbers website that they do it. I also found out that you can get it that size from truck parts places but I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for it so i will keep searching. Since the throttlebody is 80mm it would be idle to get a little bit bigger so you can clamp it down and just have 1 piece from there to the airbox.

I have been thinking about placement of the air intake as it can't go around the back of the bbm like el's and au's cause of the coolant reservior. I have seen pics of people just putting a pod on it and having it above their headers with a heat sheild. This is a good solution but i still reckon you would get heaps of hot air. I think the only solution i can think of is use the flexible rubber tube and connect it to the standard airbox. If i'm lucky i might be able to get the xh snorkal to fit......

XG Ute. BBM conversion, EL ECU + J3 Chip, 3" Stainless Steel Intake Pipe, K&N Pod Filter, Wade 1673 Camshaft, Pacemaker extractors, 2.5 Inch Hi-Flow Cat, 2.5 Inch exhaust, Cab Extension, 18" FG GT Rims, resprayed in blueprint.

Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:32 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: henry's finest

NSW, Australia

Can you chuck up a pic of it currently so we can brainstorm ideas?

What's behind the right hand headlight? A battery I assume.

What about a 90° pvc bend in 90mm from the throttle body and a piece of pvc tube just passed the manifold the another bend say 45° and another piece of pvc tube to a pod behind the left headlight.

Just saying...

Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:39 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: henry's finest

NSW, Australia

P.s. This may be sacrilgious but you might be able to use the intake setup of a vn-vr commodore. They have flexi joints and a long plastic hose that you could cut up to suit. Only issue would be the join to the throttle body being 65mm. A silicon reducer for intercooler piping could solve that issue.

Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:08 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

Saltez what was the issue with the EL box exactly? was it the piping fouling on the coolant tank or ? relocating the coolant tank to the LHS may be the best option

Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:36 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford XG longreach

NSW, Australia

Hey there guys, been looking for this mod and some definate answers as i have a donor car to take all the parts off and so now i know what n how come the next few wks will give it a go and am thinking that an pod filter in place of the air box might be the way to go along with custom exhaust and silicone tubing like is used for cold air intakes though not cheap be the way to go

let me know how it's all going n will keep u updated as i do mine

Thanks saltez for the wiring heads up!! those little things would drive me insane, though not far from it now!!

Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:40 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

had a bit of think about the airbox side of things.... and i think its possible to mod the lid of the EL box to fit onto the XG air box bottom.this picture illiastrates the difference is size between the 2...

If you could cut a section out of the lid so its not as wide it would work pretty well.I guess working out the best way to take a section out may be difficult but definately possible.
A shot with the EL lid on the XG bottom, illistrating how much width needs to be taken out..

Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:26 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Hey guys, sorry i havent replied for a while. I had my power supply on my pc go and have been using my laptop when I have had a chance.

The reason why the au airbox and the el ef airbox doesnt fit is that the coolant reserviour tank is in the way and also the airbox won't sit where the current xg airbox is due to the airconditioning lines. Believe me I tried.

Currently I have hooked up some rubber flexible piping up for an intake and its working well. Coming from the throttle body, down the front of the engine over the rocker cover and squeezing past the radiator hose to the standard airbox. This is working currently, but you can't really get to the dipstick and the bonnet doesn't really close without squeezing the hose and distorting it.

I went over to my brothers house and we brain stormed some idea's. He came up with one to move the battery into the back tray of the ute. Put it in a battery box and then run the postive and negative lead to terminals in the engine bay. Once the battery has been relocated I can just run the intake over the rocker cover from the throttle body over the extractors and then into the standard airbox which i will turn around so its facing the otherway. The standard airbox will be mounted where the old battery was.

I'm thinking this is the only answer. I have spend heaps on this intake with all sorts of rubber tubing but i think i have finally found the answer. Hopefully it will help you guys on here!!!!

I will post a picture tomorrow sometime so you can see what i mean......

Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:31 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford XG longreach

NSW, Australia

sort of what i was thinking but was thinking of a pod type set up under that but not sure of room etc but moving the battery is a great idea, and you could put the battery box bolted down under the lift up tray the other side to the fuel tank so it's out of the way with kiwk release system to get into that area, and earth it there and run positive to a junction point at the point of original battery so u dont need to rerun heaps.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2