Fordmods Logo

XG change to XH surround 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: XG change to XH surround
Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:05 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EB 5.0

NSW, Australia

I have an XG and am looking at putting an XH cluster surround to change it to the later switches along with the steering column for the hazard light switch. What I dont know is how or if the wiring is easy?....Does the XH have a harness I can unplug or am I looking at alot more work?
Anyway if anyone has done it I would be grateful for the advice.

EB 5.0lt 2.5" Exhaust Kings Super Lows blah blah

Last edited by xgdude on Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:34 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: XG Pano

VIC, Australia

Im not sure if it will fit. I put a EB XR6 dash into my Xg so if ur lucky an Xh unit might fit. The Xg dash has 2 plugs in the centre and a small one in the bottom left hand corner. The dash is easy to get out you just need to unscrew the buttons and the surround and then theres 4 screws holding the cluster in. The whole thing can be out in 20 mins.

Hope this helps mate

93 Xg Panel Van: Globe Wheels, Lowered, 2.5 Inch Exhaust, Nice and clean with more to come

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:01 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Nah, he's referring to the cluster surround. XH would look cleaner and better. XH is essentially EF wiring and XG is essentially EBII/ED wiring, so no direct plug and play.
Light switch: XH switch and knobs, EF/EL or XH plug and length of wiring to splice in.
Hazard lights: Use EA/EB/ED turn signal combo switch and upper column cover. Reroute dash hazard wiring to the column.
Demist switch: Use EF/EL item, plus plug and length of wiring to splice in.

I couldn't make out what the top left XG switch is . . . . :(

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:52 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AUII ute e-gas

VIC, Australia

Quote:
I couldn't make out what the top left XG switch is . . . .

its the dash dimmer/ interior light switch. on xh its around the headlight switch so you'd need to extend/ reroute the wiring (be creative!)

incedentally if you're really up for a challenge, the entire xh dash will fit and it only takes about an hour to pull it out- xf to xh firewall (and therefore dash mounting points) are the same. There'd be a fair bit of wiring involved though

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:47 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Quote:
incedentally if you're really up for a challenge, the entire xh dash will fit and it only takes about an hour to pull it out- xf to xh firewall (and therefore dash mounting points) are the same. There'd be a fair bit of wiring involved though
You'll also need to run an ECU out of an XH or use an EL ECU to get all the cluster functions to work.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]