Fordmods Logo

XG drinks like a fish 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: XG drinks like a fish
Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:22 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: ford XG

NSW, Australia

This van is going to start another gulf oil crisis at this rate.

I finally took the time to count my 100 kms from the servo and get a figure for both highway and urban driving. The highway was a surprise at 12L/100km. Urban, though, just ripped me a new one at 38 litres.

There was a colder thermostat running in it that inchanged he sterday to get it running at temp. Surely that alone couldnt give me THIS much grief?

No exhaust or o2 sensor issues, new map sensor. Possibly a vac leak? Not sure, it does some weird stuff at idle but that could be electronic as well I guess... any thoughts? Its worth noting its currently got a pretty shagged BTR 4spd.

Cheers, andrew

:?

Post subject: Re: XG drinks like a fish
Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:29 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Just a few other things I have made note of.

The throttle cable is damaged, the outer tube is split above the rocker cover and there is a little fraying inside I believe.

I have tried the learn throttle position procedure, and will again. However I have a spare engine i'm rebuilding at the moment that came with a TPS among many other things. I understand theyre fairly simple, can anyone give instructions to test? (On or off the car- is it resistance or voltage that needs to be checked?)

I think these things would surely be a good start. If there is no signs of an external fuel leak I can only assume that the ECU is richening it up for some reason. Why it would only drastically affect urban and not highway mileage is beyond me though...

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: XH Ute / AU3 V8 Wagon

QLD, Australia

I reckon your shagged BTR would have a lot to do with it. The highway figures show that, as there is a lot less stopping and starting.
Time to find a good one - look for an AU trans, the bellhousings can be swapped, and there a much nicer trans, and will be easier to find with less klms.

Good luck

8-)

Yes, I own a Ute. No, I won't help you move!

EL Wagon Build Thread http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sooty72-s-ef-futura-wagon-long-term-project-t90025.html
XH Ute Thread http://www.fordmods.com/post1138970.html#p1138970

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:04 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Yeah.. one of the mechanics at work said the same thing. It would make sense, that difference would have to mean some kind of extra rolling or drivetrain resistance at takeoff.

I have another spare BTR that came with a tickford motor i am rebuilding at the moment, circa 180k kms on it i hope should be better (current one is at around 360k).

Ill keep an eye out for the AU trans for sure though, it seems like youre always living on borrowed time with these BTRs.

What about ECU inputs for the AU? Are they the same?

Cheers, Andrew

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]