Fordmods Logo

Xg Xr6 - no extractors fit?? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Xg Xr6 - no extractors fit??
Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:40 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 93 XG Xr6

VIC, Australia

Hi all, I have a 93 xg xr6 and I'm looking to get some extracors to suit.

The standard manifold on my car is a 2 peice, with a flange just around where the o2 sensor sits, up near the side of the block.

Every set of extractors I see, go all the way down to the bottom about level with the firewall, where the cat convertor would end on the standard exhaust

the cat on my car is a one piece all the way up to the original manifold.

So how are people fitting these, when there is no longer room
for the cat to go??? Is there are direct bolt on system somewhere that I can use my original cat?? Thanks

Post subject: Re: Xg Xr6 - no extractors fit??
Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:20 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: au falcon ute

WA, Australia

You still use your original cat but the cat flanges are cut of and moved to suit

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:58 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 94 XG Falcon ute 4L 5spd

VIC, Australia

Ive got no cat in my ute, throw it away and get a piece made to replace and do a 2 1/2 exhaust with good muffler and a hot dog if you want a little quiter, ive been like this for about 5 year's and as long as yer not hooking every where you go still quite low on noise until you sink ya foot into it. And a good note they make with better plumbing.

To many project's and not enough $$$

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: 1990 XF Ute

VIC, Australia

i could be wrong but hasnt the xg got a EB engine in an xf engine bay? so shouldnt the extractors that fit e series work?

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

1tuff wrote:
Ive got no cat in my ute, throw it away and get a piece made to replace and do a 2 1/2 exhaust with good muffler and a hot dog if you want a little quiter, ive been like this for about 5 year's and as long as yer not hooking every where you go still quite low on noise until you sink ya foot into it. And a good note they make with better plumbing.

its a massive fine for not having a cat on the car, :|

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:47 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1995 EF Falcon

SA, Australia

bry40l wrote:
1tuff wrote:

its a massive fine for not having a cat on the car, :|

Exactly bry40l, it's totally illegal to remove the cat converter from the exhaust system.. Its the first place the cops look on a car thats louder than standard or even mildly modified such as mags and lowered.
Quite a few of my mates in the past thought they'd be smart and remove it.. they paid the price. ;)

South Australia.. Heaps good.

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:23 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XG Longreach + ED XR6

VIC, Australia

I would personally just go out and buy a high-flow metal cat. Magnaflow 100cpi units with 2.5inch in/out can be had for less than $300.

To quote Autospeed:

"A catalytic converter typically has an optimal lifespan of up to around 60,000 kilometres - after this stage its efficiency declines and there's the possibility that the internal honeycomb will collapse. We're told if your car's converter is older than about 10 years, it is worthwhile replacing it."

And in regards to just getting rid of it (also from Autospeed)

"Anyone found ripping the inside out of their catalytic converter or removing it altogether is being a tight-a*** and irresponsible.
Removing a cat converter's honeycomb internals will undoubtedly improve exhaust flow - but not enough to offset the associated downsides. In addition to pumping out more toxins, your car is at major risk of being defected - and so it should be."

http://autospeed.com/cms/A_1466/printArticle.html

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:07 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford Longreach Ute OutBack

NSW, Australia

I had a set of Pacemaker extractors,new cat and a 2 1/2" system fitted to my XG(it has the EBII motor),and the exhaust shop put a flange onto the cat,and it runs better thean ever.Gave the Old thing a new lease of life,and economy has also picked up too.

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

Outback Blue wrote:
I had a set of Pacemaker extractors,new cat and a 2 1/2" system fitted to my XG(it has the EBII motor),and the exhaust shop put a flange onto the cat,and it runs better thean ever.Gave the Old thing a new lease of life,and economy has also picked up too.

Great to hear. How does she sound now?

LOW, LOUD AND LUMPY

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:23 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Sounds bloody beautiful! The sytem I had fitted had a really loud note to it the first time I drove it,so I thought I'd get it toned down just a little bit,and the exhaust shop fitted a slightly quieter rear muffler before the tail pipe,and now it just nice.My neighbour reckons I've turned into a 52 year old hoon!But the freer flowing system has given the engine(just ticked over 201,000k's)a really noticeable gain in power & economy.The only other mod is a Crow Hi-Torque cam,and together they've changed an old plodding slug into a real goer.

Cheers,
Kev.

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

Outback Blue wrote:
Sounds bloody beautiful! The sytem I had fitted had a really loud note to it the first time I drove it,so I thought I'd get it toned down just a little bit,and the exhaust shop fitted a slightly quieter rear muffler before the tail pipe,and now it just nice.My neighbour reckons I've turned into a 52 year old hoon!But the freer flowing system has given the engine(just ticked over 201,000k's)a really noticeable gain in power & economy.The only other mod is a Crow Hi-Torque cam,and together they've changed an old plodding slug into a real goer.

Cheers,
Kev.

Brilliant!
Cam, intake and exhaust are the best bang for buck mods on these things. Great to hear you're enjoying your 'new' vehicle! :D

LOW, LOUD AND LUMPY

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: S1 eb 5speed

NSW, Australia

Kev, chip it, you'll love it.

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:12 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Hi Pakrat,
The old beast doesn't go too bad at all.I'm getting around the 750/760 klm mark from the 2 tanks(part of the Tickford fitted Outback Pak) when they're filled(together they hold 126 litres),which is about 18MPG in my language,and that's just around town.Its doing better since I fitted my "hybrid BA/EF/EL" thermofan,and it might be squeezing about 19MPG around town.
Chipping may gain me some more economy and performance,but the ute's due to be retired in about 2 1/2 years.Looking to get a good manual RTV(no longer made),or I might splurge all out on either an XR6 or XR8.
Just have to wait and see what the super fund lets me have as play money.

Cheers,
Kev. :D

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: S1 eb 5speed

NSW, Australia

When I put a cam in my eb it was a little better on fuel and power but when I got it chipped I couldn't explain the difference, well worth the $200, and you simply plug it into the ecu.
Highly recomend it.
Those RTV ute's were a good thing too.

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:06 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 1991 Ford Fairmont Ghia

New Zealand

Why not keep the XG? Gas?

Build Thread - More of a mismatch of parts :P the-garage-f53/seftons-ea-t106586.html

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next