Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: XH Door Repair.
Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:28 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 98 XH2 Ute

VIC, Australia

Hey Fellas,

Recently went to get my door quoted from a panel beater down my way as every1 probably knows the XH's have a sh!t house hinge design

I got it quoted for $250 - $300 which includes removing/repairing a dodgey home repair (mate welded a plate across the outside of the door so it sticks out about an inch at the front causing it to create alot of noise while driving)

The repair includes a bit of paint fixing and removing some rust, just wondering if this is a good quote??

Cheers :wink:

98 XH 5 Speed
BA 17"s, BA Short Shifter, 2.5" Mandrel Bent Redback, More To Come!
98 XH 5 Speed - http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/a-bone-s-98-xh-5-speed-t98900.html

Post subject: Re: XH Door Repair.
Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:49 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: BF RTV ute

NSW, Australia

Bloke in Townsville did mine painted and repaired for $150. I suppose you have to shop around.

A dog, a bike, a Ute
Live beside a creek and now I wish for summer
Miss those tropical winters

Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:15 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford XH Ute

ACT, Australia

Depends how extensive the repair is.

I recently replaced the hinge pins and bushes on mine and someone had done a dodgish repair on the lower hinge area on the doors.

I stripped the area, welded up the area properly, ground down the welds, primed and painted - that took the better part of 2 hrs once done - did take a good 2 days though, paint took forever to dry :-)!

Then whacking the doors back on.

If you are starting from scratch and cutting out the effected area and adding in new sheet metal think you could easily add another 1 to that.

So $250, if they weld up the area properly and blend in the paint well, isn't a bad price at all - $150 is very good I think!

But as the other fellow suggested, shop around, see if you can get it cheaper :-)!

Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

Just remember panel beaters aren't equal, if anything make sure it's reccommended

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

I repaired some doors many years ago, ( XF ute) at a workshop I worked at.....cost about $1000 to do.
What that involved was taking the doors off, welding and adding bits to strengthen the door hinge areas on both doors.
Rebushing and pinning all the hinges.
Replacing innner & outer door latch assemblies and catches.
Replacing outer door handles.
Replacing the plastic nuts in the doors for door handles and such.
Removing, cleaning, & lube the window regulators, and while the glass was out, it was tinted.
Making new inner door trim liners, and fitting new door seals.
Then re-aligning the doors again, then adding paint where required.
The people were a little shocked at the price, but they were told by an auto lecky to fix all this stuff so the a/c would be effiecently.
After inspecting the doors, and trying them out, they were very happy with the results.

It just comes back to how far you want to go, and how good a job you want, for the money you want to part with.
These people wanted it good for going to work at the coalfields.....that means spending about 3 hrs in the car to get there, and 3 hrs back....so in summer when its 40*C outside......money well spent.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:21 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 98 XH2 Ute

VIC, Australia

Thanks guys some good help there.
The dodgey repair makes the door stick out about an inch so this is a pretty bad repair and the upper section of the door hits the arch and has taken a bit of paint off and its rusted there aswell as the lower foot-well part.
Job includes putting new hinges in, basically repairing a big hole in the lower hinge section and painting the affected areas and removing rust.

Panel beater is a friend of my mechanic and there is a bit of work in repairing my door as its had it, was repaired poorly and had it again. money isn't too much of an issue ans the price seems ok for what is involved

98 XH 5 Speed
BA 17"s, BA Short Shifter, 2.5" Mandrel Bent Redback, More To Come!
98 XH 5 Speed - http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/a-bone-s-98-xh-5-speed-t98900.html

Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:21 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford XH Ute

ACT, Australia

Quote:
I repaired some doors many years ago, ( XF ute) at a workshop I worked at.....cost about $1000 to do.
What that involved was taking the doors off, welding and adding bits to strengthen the door hinge areas on both doors.
Rebushing and pinning all the hinges.
Replacing innner & outer door latch assemblies and catches.
Replacing outer door handles.
Replacing the plastic nuts in the doors for door handles and such.

I did all of that part, but didn't take out the window regulators or replace the door liners - I put a bolt through the handles with a set of nyloc nuts (passenger side stopped working and drivers side was on its way out), seems to have sorted them out.

Did send a bit of time re-aligning the doors again actually..................that was a bit of a bugger of job actually :-)!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]