Fordmods Logo

XH motor vibrates at idle. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: XH motor vibrates at idle.
Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:39 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 2002 AU Fairlane Sportsman

NSW, Australia

Hi guys, I have a vibration in my car that I cannot trace and I was wondering if someone else has experienced the same issue. When the car is in drive or reverse it vibrates but when in neutral it seems to go away. Yes it is when the revs go up about 150 rpm. I have changed the plugs, had the auto transmission serviced and even went to the local Ford dealer but they couldn't find the cause. I also changed the rear gearbox mount as well as the front mounts. The rear is brand new and the fronts came off an EF Fairmont that were about 3 months old and they are in good condition. The local Ford guy said to raise the revs but then if I do that, once it is in neutral it will be idling at about 900 which is not what I want. I was thinking that it might be something like an O2 sensor? When the car is moving it goes like a bird and is really smooth but as soon as I stop at lights or in traffic the vibration gets annoying. Any suggestions apart from selling it. Cheers. Steve.

Post subject: Re: XH motor vibrates at idle.
Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:59 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

by the discription i would say its still has buggered engine mounts..

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:06 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Thanks Troyman, I was thinking that it might be the problem so it looks like a process of elimination. I will start with them first and then try other options if that is not the cause. I was thinking of putting the car up on stands and use the trolley jack to take the weight off the mounts one by one to see if the vibration goes out. Cheers.

Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:55 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Well I had a look at the engine mounts today after checking with a few wreckers and asking questions and although the workshop manual shows a square shaped engine mount, everyone I spoke to said that thy are round like the sedans. I jacked up the motor this afternoon and took the weight off the engine mount to the bottom of the support and the vibration clears. It looks like you guys were right, the mounts are stuffed and they are only abut 6 months old. I noticed that the steel case around the rubber was sitting down low and onto the rubber pad. When I loosened off the top bolt on the mount with the jack supporting the motor the car felt fine, as soon as I lowered it, the vibration could be felt in the body as the mount compressed. Looks like a trip to the spare parts tomorrow for 2 new mounts. I was looking at photos of BA engine mounts and if they are the same height I might look at them as a replacement instead of the EL type. Can't hurt looking. Cheers again.

Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:10 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Just an update re the vibrating engine. I went down the road to Macarthur Spares at Narellan and picked up a set of AU engine mounts and after a bit of fiddly work, they are in and the vibration is gone. The car is now like it should be. The AU units are solid rubber and all that I had to do was open out the holes on the bottom metal mount, (the ones where the long bolt goes through the sub frame.)
They lined up perfect. There was also a bit of rubbing with the bottom centre bolt from the new rubber but with a little bit of grinding back of the bolt it fitted perfect. I learnt one lesson and that is I will never take another car of mine to the local Ford dealer. I had it in with them, they did a diagnostic check and after $75 no idea what the vibration was. I'm not impressed with paying out 75 bucks for that but at least I know everything else is sweet. Cheers.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]