xh oil pressure 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: xh oil pressure
Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:07 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: xf panel van

SA, Australia

hi
just fitted gauge cluster to my xh panelvan oilgauge didnt work yeah i know need to change sender did this from two different el fairmonts both are gauge sender units both only show maximum on the gauge read somewhere bem on standard doesnt work with gauges is this correct
morgo

Post subject: Re: xh oil pressure
Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

No, the BEM has no effect on the oil pressure gauge. The following is taken from the tech doc relating to cluster swaps.
Because the Low series Instrument Clusters do not have an Oil Pressure Meter, these vehicles do not have an Oil Pressure sensor fitted.
Instead of the Oil Pressure sender, they use an Oil Pressure switch.
What is the difference between these Oil Switch sender thingies I hear you ask ?

The Oil Pressure switch is just that, it switches to Ground when the Oil Pressure drops below a certain level.
This means that the Oil Pressure switch is only good for Switching a low Oil Pressure Lamp On or Off.
If a Mid or High series Instrument cluster is used with an Oil Pressure switch, the Oil Pressure gauge will either show 0 Oil Pressure, or very very High Oil Pressure, with no intermediate pressure.

The Oil Pressure Sender has a constantly variable Voltage, that is directly related to the Oil Pressure.
Obviously, this variable voltage is required for an Oil Pressure gauge.
The Mid and High Series Instrument Clusters also compare this voltage, and if the Voltage falls below a predetermined level, the low Oil Pressure Warning lamp is Illuminated.

The Oil Pressure Switch, and Oil Pressure sensor are located in exactly the same place, and as stated above, if fitting a Mid or High series Cluster, (I.E. upgrading from a Low series cluster), the Oil Pressure switch will need to be replaced with an Oil Pressure sensor.
These sensors are located roughly about 2 inches above the Oil Filter, on the Inline 6 motors.
The sensor also has a single wire coming from it, with a spade electrical connector.
The Oil Pressure sensor can be purchased from Wreckers for around $20.
Or alternatively, can be bought from Ford for around $50.00 - Ford Part Number EF-9D290-A

Here's the full document. http://www.fordmods.com/documents.php?d=14 I have done this swap on my EF and all I needed to do was swap the Oil Pressure Switch over to the proper sender. Perhaps the ones you've used are faulty.

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.

Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:20 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: xf panel van

SA, Australia

or maybe gauge is crook

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

morgo49 wrote:
or maybe gauge is crook
Or that too.. :). I'm not sure if the individual gauges can be replaced, might be easier just to keep a look out for another Fairmont/XR cluster. But I'd try a new sender first.

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.

Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]