XH trip computer 

Page 2 of 4 [ 47 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:11 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

camh1980 wrote:
I am going to head to my local wrecker this week, take the dash out of an EF Falcon and see if it will fit in the cabin of an XF ute or sedan just to see if you can actually acheieve this.
If you can get hold of an EL Gregory's manual (it also covers XH), it has some good comparison shots of the EL and XH dashes (installed and removed) - the heater boxes are similar, but the air flow trunking is different, plus the EF crashpad will need to be chopped to fit up to the A pillars.
camh1980 wrote:
Otherwise, good luck with your fibreglass and trip computer placement. I just pray it doesn't look too ricey........mmm, rice.
Yeah thanks, nah, I'll make it look like part of the car. I had the same challenge with the power window switches too . . . :D

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:36 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Well here it is . . . . .
ImageImage

Manual winders . . . .Nah . .

Mmmm . . .Cup Holders

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

That's pretty good mate.
looking at that whole centre console though, wouldnt it have been easier to grab one out of an eb with elec windows?

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

Awesome - thumbs up from me, that is a brilliant job you have done there. I love the cup holders at the rear - would love to see a picture of it during the evening - when it is all lit up. 10 out of 10 - looks likew it was there direct from the factory.

Instant Karma is gonna get you!

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:29 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 2007 BFII xr8 Ripcurl ute

QLD, Australia

hey. ive got an xh xr6 and i really want power windows in it. what car did u get the power window setup out of. and wat kind of money was involved. any help would b great.
thanks!

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

nice job!

Banned

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:23 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

is that still the XH console?
where'd the cup holders come from?

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

they look like ef/el cup holders that are modified to fit.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:19 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Thanks for the feedback Guys, much appreciated.

smoke_rubber wrote:
That's pretty good mate.
looking at that whole centre console though, wouldnt it have been easier to grab one out of an eb with elec windows?
Well I've seen a Fairmont version console, and correct me if I'm wrong, the 4 switches sit between the gear selector and the console lid, obviously a 2 switch unit is needed, but I haven't seen any at the wreckers I use. So I would have to track one down.
I could have used an AU console as well, but as I had a batch of EF/EL switches given to me, I used them - fitting the switches wasn't hard, and didn't really take that long. And I think the time taken to track down a suitable console would've taken longer.
camh1980 wrote:
Awesome - thumbs up from me, that is a brilliant job you have done there. I love the cup holders at the rear - would love to see a picture of it during the evening - when it is all lit up. 10 out of 10 - looks likew it was there direct from the factory.
Well Cam, you told me to steer clear of the rice :P - Hopefully I've done that. Even though the cup holders are behind the driver, they are easy to use - the popup arm is locked in place - so your drink actually does stay secure. The instrument/interior lighting is all white LED, and is pretty awesome at night.
Trikee wrote:
is that still the XH console?
where'd the cup holders come from?
Yes, and the cup holders are EF/EL. They cost me all of $5 from the wreckers.
smoke_rubber wrote:
they look like ef/el cup holders that are modified to fit.
Correct, the rear airvent was removed, EF/EL cupholders with the front chopped off is fitted - they fit perfectly in the existing hole, the top is fitted using a pair of manual antenna brackets I had lying around, the bottom of the cupholders have two locating posts that fit against the XH console air vent bottom, so the cupholders will sit perfectly, however, the lower console bottom only has a thin strip of plastic, so some metal strapping is fitted the strengthen the setup. Use a string spirit level on the cup holder base to ensure it is level.

Cupholder setup - manual antenna brackets make for great upper mounts, strapping to bolster the bottom, picture writing is too small, but basically the two red lines show the two locating posts up against the console base

Bazzo wrote:
hey. ive got an xh xr6 and i really want power windows in it. what car did u get the power window setup out of. and wat kind of money was involved. any help would b great.
thanks!
There has been previous threads discussing this, but I haven't found anyone who has actually done it. The setup I used were 2 XF Fairmont Ghia motors, which I got off a mate for $25 ea. I did buy a spare motor off ebay for about $40 if I remember correctly. I fitted the motors and their attachment arms to my XH regulators, as they were newer and in much better nick than the XF's. You'll need front door motors, as they have the correct arms fitted. They do pop up on Ebay from time to time, so I'd estimate probably from $40 - $50+ ea.
Being 2nd hand, you should strip down and service the motors before using them, also ensure the gearbox assy has the '3 blocks' fitted to ensure the motor operates without slippage. I wanted to retain my original door trims, so I fitted EF/EL switches to the doors, modified to suit. They fit where the winder arm used to be, they are wired up, but the console switches are used predominately.

Door switch:

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:45 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

That's a great job, and looks perfect! Nice work.

As far as wiring the trip computer in, what did you need to do? What extra looms/plugs did you need?

The XF Ghia window motors did they bolt straight in? How diffiuclt was that?

If I decide to do a similar thing, any chance of picking up a some electric window switches from you if you have any spare?

Once again, top job, and you may well have inspried me to do the same.

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:31 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

cds70 wrote:
That's a great job, and looks perfect! Nice work.

Yeah thanks for that.
cds70 wrote:
As far as wiring the trip computer in, what did you need to do? What extra looms/plugs did you need?
Well you'll need an EF/EL clock plug, and another clock plug or inst cluster plug to rob the extra pins needed to make up the trip computer plug. Your pin outs, where to splice to the cluster lines, etc, can be sourced from: http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=14 & http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=32

The two wires (brown & red/blue) for the lighting can be spliced off the rear demister if you have one, instead of the cluster.

cds70 wrote:
The XF Ghia window motors did they bolt straight in? How diffiuclt was that?
Yes, straight bolt in, manual winders are rivetted in, so need to be drilled out. Not too hard, bit fiddly to position the motor and reg, but if I can do it, anybody can do same :P .

cds70 wrote:
If I decide to do a similar thing, any chance of picking up a some electric window switches from you if you have any spare?

Yeah, I have 4 sparebies, but only 2 switch surrounds, IIRC, you're on the Sth Coast as well, probably not all that far from me.

cds70 wrote:
Once again, top job, and you may well have inspried me to do the same.
Well I hope I've inspired a few XH owners, the XH is a great commercial vehicle, and why not fit some refinements ??
Fordmods has inspired me, and it shows what can be done when some may say it can't :D.

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 98 XH XR6

VIC, Australia

f**k nice work looks good

ONE FOR RUM AND RUM FOR ALL

4.0ltr 1998 XH XR6 - 2 JVC 4way 6X9's - 2 JVC 4way 4" in doors - JVC head unit - AU XR8 intake snorkel

Paceys, hi flow cat and many more still to come

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: GTHO PH 1 EF ex chaser

QLD, Australia

Excellent work really looks "FACTORY" top modding job :P :P :P

Rotten Old Revhead!!! XW GTHO + EF ex cop car (exractors 2.5 cat back zorst !6" Simmons K&N +airbox mods Lowered with Bilstein shocks+Whiteline Bars NEXT THING Swap HO for GTP or Ferrari!

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:38 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 2007 BFII xr8 Ripcurl ute

QLD, Australia

snap0964....thanks for that bit of info. im only new to this forums and still workin my way round it. the power window setup u have done is very nice. well done!

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:03 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Snap0964, when you say I would need an Ef/EL clock plug do you mean to connect to the rear of the trip computer?

Also what do you mean that I would need another clock plug or inst cluster plug to rob the extra pins need to make up the trip computer plug.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next