XH with a few issues. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: XH with a few issues.
Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:47 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: xh long reach

VIC, Australia

Hi,

I recently bought a 1998 XH ute. I have a few issues before I can get her on the road, the major one being a shiny yellow sticker in the left hand corner of the windscreen :evil:. It's an auto.

There's a few things I can't quite nut out, The first one being the door locks. The door locks cycle when I try to lock with the key and the remote. When I bought it the car wouldn't start and I think the smart lock was replaced to rectify this issue(Not 100% sure). Not sure on what to do there. I notice when pulling the door lock fuse that there is only one terminal lug for the fuse to plug into? Could this be the issue, Also upon further inspection I believe there is no wire connected to this lug but the locks still cycle?

Secondly, The horn. When I press the horn button I can hear the relay going on and off so I'm pretty confident its not the relay but the horn still doesn't work. Will replacing the actual horn itself fix this issue?

The drivers side door has a bit of rust below the hinge which has made the door drop enough for it to be a pain in the a** to shut. Is it worth getting a plate welded in the door or to just get a new door from the wreckers? On the topic of rust, the drivers side sill under the door has rusted through in a small area, is welding in new metal worth the time and effort or is there a filler I could use that would achieve the same effect.

Lastly the paint. As you all know the paint on these fords peel over time and I was wondering what clear coat to use, how much prep does it need, best way to apply and how to tell if the exposed paint is still any good?

Now I have the issues out of the way, this is a Mods site right? So why not mod the ol' girl. What are some mods that can be done and you guys could recommend. Money is not an issue as this is a long term project and I plan on keeping it.

Current mod ideas:
Exhaust (2.5 good? If so any particular brands?), Extractors?, Upgrade headlights (Previously had EL And couldn't see S**t at night!), 'Maybe' lower(not sure if I should.).

Sorry if these questions have been asked a million times, if they have I'd quite happily be pointed in the right direction to view the threads. First post on here so forgive me. :)

Cheers,
Josh.

Post subject: Re: XH with a few issues.
Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:10 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: xh long reach

VIC, Australia

Is there nobody out there with even the slightest answer?! :(

Post subject: Re: XH with a few issues.
Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:33 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

longreach xh wrote:
Hi,

I recently bought a 1998 XH ute. I have a few issues before I can get her on the road, the major one being a shiny yellow sticker in the left hand corner of the windscreen :evil:. It's an auto.

There's a few things I can't quite nut out, The first one being the door locks. The door locks cycle when I try to lock with the key and the remote. When I bought it the car wouldn't start and I think the smart lock was replaced to rectify this issue(Not 100% sure). Not sure on what to do there. I notice when pulling the door lock fuse that there is only one terminal lug for the fuse to plug into? Could this be the issue, Also upon further inspection I believe there is no wire connected to this lug but the locks still cycle?

sorry i dont have any idea

Secondly, The horn. When I press the horn button I can hear the relay going on and off so I'm pretty confident its not the relay but the horn still doesn't work. Will replacing the actual horn itself fix this issue?

if you are able to ... short the horn directly to the battery with a heavy duty wire. if it dont work - its stuffed

The drivers side door has a bit of rust below the hinge which has made the door drop enough for it to be a pain in the a** to shut. Is it worth getting a plate welded in the door or to just get a new door from the wreckers? On the topic of rust, the drivers side sill under the door has rusted through in a small area, is welding in new metal worth the time and effort or is there a filler I could use that would achieve the same effect.

always best to replace rusted sections with clean by welding

Lastly the paint. As you all know the paint on these fords peel over time and I was wondering what clear coat to use, how much prep does it need, best way to apply and how to tell if the exposed paint is still any good?

cant help ya

Now I have the issues out of the way, this is a Mods site right? So why not mod the ol' girl. What are some mods that can be done and you guys could recommend. Money is not an issue as this is a long term project and I plan on keeping it.

Current mod ideas:
Exhaust (2.5 good? If so any particular brands?), Extractors?, Upgrade headlights (Previously had EL And couldn't see S**t at night!), 'Maybe' lower(not sure if I should.).

Sorry if these questions have been asked a million times, if they have I'd quite happily be pointed in the right direction to view the threads. First post on here so forgive me. :)

try a search for answers

think most here are using 2.5 exhaust & extractors .... kinda depends on where ya wanna go with ya engine

Cheers,
Josh.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]