Fordmods Logo

XH Woodgrain - What do you think ?? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: XH Woodgrain - What do you think ??
Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:18 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Got my hands on some DA (or was it DC ??) LTD front door woodgrain - real wood too :P .
Well the results are below, you do need to cut the door handle to make it fit, and have the handle 'wrap' around it.
The idea was to make it look like it was meant to be fitted, and to give the trim a bit of variation, along with keeping the std trim.
The X series door trims are not really in the same league as the EF/EL futura's and higher, but what do you think ???
ImageImage

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ef Ghiaaaaaargh!

WA, Australia

looks upside down to me??

Mercedes 500SEC: -- GONE -- http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/my-83-mercedes-500sec-buildup-t69837.html
Ef Ghia: -- GONE -- Pacie 4480's, 2.5" Redback, custom grille, FTR's.
AU xr8: BA xr wheels, 2.5" custom exh, leather and woodgrain next.
Chevy Camaro: LHD, Black, all original.

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:53 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Correct, they are. Although I tried a number of positionings, this seemed to suit the best.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:55 am 
Fordmods Addict

Ride: BA XR6T

VIC, Australia

something different. looks ok, i reckon it'd be pretty sweet if the fabic was just grey or black leather.

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

sounds like you can do another doco for that Ray :D

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: XHII pano, Landau

VIC, Australia

Looks good, Now u just need to get some woodgrain on the dash somewhere....have u seen that plastic coating joint that can woodgrain plastic?

I agree with mash 2 on it will really set it off having a dark fabric insert.

How are you finding the spal power window kit? (im assuming its a spal one going off the button)

Automatics only come in assult riffles
---------------------------------------
www.aussiecoupes.net

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:59 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Thanks for the input fellas . . .

Happy wrote:
Dunno if it's worth it Greg, this ones pretty straightforward.

dvyvan wrote:
I agree with mash 2 on it will really set it off having a dark fabric insert.
Yeah, might wait and see on that one - what I did have intended was to fit EL seats which I already have, and fit the current seats (which are EF)cloth covering onto them - this is mainly for the twin lumbar adjusters. This way the trims stay matched also.
XHI's got EF seats (single lumbar) while XHII's got EL seats (twin lumbar).

dvyvan wrote:
Now u just need to get some woodgrain on the dash somewhere....have u seen that plastic coating joint that can woodgrain plastic?
Nah, haven't unfortunately. What I did have in mind was to fit a rear door woodgrain slat above the glovebox, and have a badge of some sort in the guts. I think something like this will 'break up' the expanse of the vinyl. The only other 'factory' addon you could put is the auto woodgrain surround - so being a manual rules this one out.

dvyvan wrote:
How are you finding the spal power window kit? (im assuming its a spal one going off the button)
Nah. XF motors with EF door/console switches. The doco that's just been released pretty much covers my setup - I think it's as good as the E series, and if you sort out the XD/E/F motors, you shouldn't have the problems of the E series - I think the 2 point scissors setup to be much better than the single point cable setup.

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

yeah im currantly running the xf motors in mine however the passenger 1 doesnt work properly due to me not checking the motors out first like you describe in your doco :) live and learn

Also i have the EL seats in mine with the lumbar adjusters but ive never used them, are u sure it would be a worthwhile upgrade?. Maybe XR seats instead?

Shame i didnt get the nice padded door trims like your S model got and i noticed that it even has the extra speakers. Very nice

www.aussiecoupes.net

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
Happy wrote:

well cutting the handle and fitting - we can start a "Quick and Easy Mods for XH/XG" doco like we have for some of the other models.... :wink:

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:07 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Happy wrote:
snap0964 wrote:
Happy wrote:
well cutting the handle and fitting - we can start a "Quick and Easy Mods for XH/XG" doco like we have for some of the other models.... :wink:
I suppose it's feasible - I do cover some of this in the next XH doco you'll publish shortly - 'XH BEM info' :wink:

dvyvan wrote:
yeah im currantly running the xf motors in mine however the passenger 1 doesnt work properly due to me not checking the motors out first like you describe in your doco :) live and learn
That can be fixed.

dvyvan wrote:
Also i have the EL seats in mine with the lumbar adjusters but ive never used them, are u sure it would be a worthwhile upgrade?. Maybe XR seats instead?
I got them fairly cheaply - $20 for the pair, so I figure I can increase the lumbar adjust - us oldies need it :P

dvyvan wrote:
Shame i didnt get the nice padded door trims like your S model got and i noticed that it even has the extra speakers. Very nice
Yeah, the S and XR models get the same, except the XR's have the polkadot cloth. And upgraded all 4 4" speakers to suit the better headunit. If you could get hold of the front trims off this http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FORD-FAIRMONT-GH ... dZViewItem would look good for the van.

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:21 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XHII V8S Ute

NT, Australia

Geez Ray everytime I log on you have done something different to your XH! you give us younger ones the chance to have a go, but sadly I haven't even attempted a Ghia dome light upgrade!

Pacies & single 2.5'. New manifold to come soon...

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:22 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XHII V8S Ute

NT, Australia

dvyvan wrote:
Yeah, the S and XR models get the same, except the XR's have the polkadot cloth. And upgraded all 4 4" speakers to suit the better headunit. If you could get hold of the front trims off this http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FORD-FAIRMONT-GH ... dZViewItem would look good for the van.[/quote]

My XHII S has the velour trims like the ones in the picture. Why not try and get a set from an XH S, they would be in far better nick than XF ones.

Pacies & single 2.5'. New manifold to come soon...

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:01 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

XHII V8S wrote:
Geez Ray everytime I log on you have done something different to your XH! you give us younger ones the chance to have a go, but sadly I haven't even attempted a Ghia dome light upgrade!
Yeah thanks dude. The mid series light is pretty easy to do. In an XH though, it does sit sloping upwards at the front.

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

yeah maybe one day ill do something with my door trims but lately im just happy that the van is running and i dont intend to do any mods to it till i get more done on the coupe

www.aussiecoupes.net

Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

I bought an XF 1988 ute yesterday as a family project. I have decided to add XF Fairmont trim and XF Fairmont door trims, XF console, XF Ghia dash, XF Ghia wheel, FE LTD chrome interior handles (would look good in your ute alongside that woodgrain strip), and a new stereo.

It is on LPG, and runs very well.

What do I need to look for when getting a RWC? It is registered.

Can I add central locking to the two doors?

Instant Karma is gonna get you!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next