XHII XR6 Project 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: XHII XR6 Project
Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: DCII LTD V8

New Zealand

Hey guys, finally got my hands on an XH, built October 1998 but registered as a '99. Tickford 4.0, 4spd auto etc.

She was in an absolutely filthy state when I got it a couple of weeks ago, interior was 99% dog hair and ciggie butts, exterior was a mix of mud and who-knows-what.

Down side was the drivers guard and indicator have had a smash, i didn't realise how hard the XR indicators were to get or the kind of crack money people want for them so the search continues...

So far I've just done basic stuff like pressure wash all the s**t off it, bought a new passenger side door handle and door card clips. Stripped the interior out for a deep clean, pressure washed the carpet, wet vac'd the seats etc, there is just dirt everywhere!

After I stripped the interior I came across a few problems, and then I started looking deeper which lead to more problems... There's water coming in from the bottom corners of the rear windscreen, water coming in from down the sides of the pillars caused by rusty seams beside the windscreen, there's rust bubbling in two places under the bottom of the screen also. Sills need work as they've started to rust out on the inside.

While under the dash I found a few plugs with nothing to plug them into, can anyone tell me where the go?

Not sure if this originally had an XR airbag wheel as it's currently got a Longreach steering wheel on it?

My plan for the future is to sort out all of the rust, tidy/paint, B series XR seats and swap the 302 from the LTD into it... haven't decided on whether to keep it auto or swap the T5Z over also...

https://www.flickr.com/gp/159041819@N03/Y27C6z

1993 LTD V8 Oregon 5 speed "click me"

Trick Flow Heads/Cam/Intake, Crane Ignition, T5Z Trans.

Post subject: Re: XHII XR6 Project
Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:37 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

XH, built October 1998 but registered as a '99. Tickford 4.0, 4spd auto etc.
It'll have a hybrid engine - head might be 96DT, IIRC.

Down side was the drivers guard and indicator have had a smash, i didn't realise how hard the XR indicators were to get or the kind of crack money people want for them so the search continues...
Yep, beautiful - Ebay, $275 used, $500 NOS. That's what happens with no aftermarket reproductions. The cheapest option I found was to collect the indicator frames of items with broken lenses (free from various wreckers), and build new lenses from the lenses of std indicators.

While under the dash I found a few plugs with nothing to plug them into, can anyone tell me where the go? Black one is airbag, the other has ACC power, can't place what it's for. Might be off the back of the ventilation controls.

Not sure if this originally had an XR airbag wheel as it's currently got a Longreach steering wheel on it? SRS is optional on these, the Longreach badge covers the SRS symbol, they'll be no airbag under the horn button cover.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Thanks snap, I just can't believe no one has started reproductions of the indicators. Can get repro's of the Falcon/Fairmont etc indicators even though there's thousands of them around second hand.... I see Twinlight offer repro head light lamps also, but don't do the plastic brackets (WTF). Wonder how long it will be before we see some aftermarket options.

I wonder if there's a company we could send an indicator to for 3D printing or replication?

Just had a look, engine is Hybrid. Head is a 96DT. Quick question Re ECU it has a 7TDB EEC-IV. Does that sound right? Thought these were EEC-V's?

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:12 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Wonder how long it will be before we see some aftermarket options.
We won't.
I wonder if there's a company we could send an indicator to for 3D printing or replication?
Big $$$ and time - 3D stuff is still slow and not $$$ effective.

Just had a look, engine is Hybrid. Head is a 96DT. Quick question Re ECU it has a 7TDB EEC-IV. Does that sound right? Thought these were EEC-V's? Yeah, it's correct for an XH hybrid. Really our EEC V's are sort of 4.5's.

Indicators, do your own, top: real one, bottom: fake.
Attachment:
BILD0638.JPG
BILD0638.JPG [ 213.57 KiB | Viewed 472 times ]

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

That's impressive! What was involved? grinding/smoothing out the pointed end and then painting it up? I'm assuming the differences in lens are that the standard style isn't rounded to fit the XR bar. I managed to buy two for $180, but one is missing a mounting tab unfortunately.

I siliconed up the entire edges of the windscreen (metal trim hides it all anyway) and since then the water leaks have stopped, not ideal but it will do until I can save up to get the screen out and all the rust repaired.

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:46 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yeah, fair amount of work to refashion the std lenses to suit. Plus you need to add a section to the front of the lens to make up the length, then paint/fashion the surround to hide this and look similar to the real items. Refurbish the internals with chrome spray as well. The std and aftermarket lenses don't crack/craze like the XR ones do.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]