Fordmods Logo

XL Falcon Disc brake conversion. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: XL Falcon Disc brake conversion.
Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:52 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 1957 Customline, 63 XL Falcon

QLD, Australia

I want to change to front disc brakes on my 63 XL Falcon sedan but I also want to keep the 4 stud wheels I currently have on there. I have a set of XR/XT stub axles for disc brakes. They look geometrically the same but they have a thicker axle. Does anyone know if XP four stud discs will fit on the XR stub axles (XR discs have 5 studs). Failing that, does anyone know of a set of XP front discs, calipers, stub axles for sale. I know the tie rod end taper is different but you can get a tapered spacer bush so I have been told. Also looking for a 170 pursuit motor, complete and not too exxy, rebuilder ok, and the arm that rotates on the end of the electric wiper motor, from an XM or XP I think.

Post subject: Re: XL Falcon Disc brake conversion.
Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:37 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

gday mate, from memory the ball joints on the xk,xl are different to the xm,xp an the later stubs wont fitbut dont quote me on that,the early xr dics brake stub axles have same shaft size as the xp stub, but you will still need the tie rod end bush, the ford wreckers at clontarf(redcliffe) still did have a complete four stud disc front end there last time i was there but they are really pricey as there as rare as hens teeth i hope that helped you out

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: XH Ute / AU3 V8 Wagon

QLD, Australia

henryman wrote:
I want to change to front disc brakes on my 63 XL Falcon sedan but I also want to keep the 4 stud wheels I currently have on there.

Mate, Just fit the later XR-XY style brakes, and then get the rotors re-drilled to the four stud pattern. It will probably be cheaper than trying to find good XP stuff, and uses better brakes and calipers/pads, etc. Cheaper to maintain in the long run too.
Good luck. :D

Yes, I own a Ute. No, I won't help you move!

EL Wagon Build Thread http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sooty72-s-ef-futura-wagon-long-term-project-t90025.html
XH Ute Thread http://www.fordmods.com/post1138970.html#p1138970

Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:13 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

The only reason I dont go with later model stubs is I dont want to stuff up the steering geometry. Want it to be as factory as possible. If I were to use XP brakes, will the whole front end including idler arm, pitman arm, drag link, ball joints, tie rods and tie rod ends all go straight from an XP into the XL? All the XL gear is flogged out and needs replacing anyhow so nows the time to decide.

Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:04 am 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Redcliffe wreckers sold the brakes they had. May have to look harder at the XR/XY option. They are better brakes than XP.

Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:21 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: BF F6 Typhoon. XP Van.XF Hearse

NSW, Australia

If you convert it to disc's, you have to use 14" wheels.

XP Fairmonts came with the disc brake 14" 4 stud & were optional on some other models, But the original XK - XP 13" hubcaps won't fit.

The other trouble with the XR - XF disc conversion, apart from the tapered sleeves for the tie rod ends is the arm from the tie rod end to the stub axle is longer than the earlier cars, which causes problems with bump steer & tyre wear problems - They steer funny compared to a standard car.

Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:17 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

I already have 14 inch wheels so that part is ok. Are you saying that the arm on the stub axle that connects the tie rod end is longer on the later models?

Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:26 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: BF F6 Typhoon. XP Van.XF Hearse

NSW, Australia

henryman wrote:
I already have 14 inch wheels so that part is ok. Are you saying that the arm on the stub axle that connects the tie rod end is longer on the later models?

Yes. From XR's - onwards, that arm is longer than the standard XK - XP ones.

I used to have an XP ute that I converted to discs, using the Castlemaine Rod shop kit

You use the standard XP drum brake stub axle with XW - early XA ventilated discs with an adapter plate to fit the HQ - onwards calipers. This conversion beats the solid disc's that XP - XT's use and you can buy blank disc rotors that you can drill for your 4 stud wheels.

Do you have the standard XP 14" 4 stud rims or Datsun rims?

Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:06 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

That sounds like a pretty good way to go. A lot less stuffing around. The wheels I have are 14 inch mag wheels. The bloke I bought the car from had them specially made for the car apparently. I would gladly swap them for a set of standard 14 inch XP fairmont rims. Only problem is I would have to tig some studs on them to fit the falcon hub cap. Iether that or convert to 5 stud wheels which is a lot more work. I really want to have the standard wheels, widened an inch or so to give a little bit of dish and use the original hubcap and maybe a dress rim. It's a good look on these model Fords I recon. Thanks for the advice.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]